Sex offenders and cruising

arkansas travelor

I am planning a group cruise and a member of the group is a registered sex offender. I do not know exactly what his charges were, but I do know that it was more than 10 years ago. but my question is are registered sex offenders allowed to cruise carnival? I would like to know before I misinform this couple.

According to several blogs I've read and previous posts on CC, a registered sex offender will not be allowed to cruise Carnival. Even calling Carnival may not get you the correct answer.

https://www.womenagainstregistry.org/Forum/Florida/4212229

https://www.my-diary.org/read/e/545227265

You can pull up lots of information by a simple google search.

Edited by 6rugrats

If this person is a registered sex offender I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that they are also a felon? Typically felon's are not allowed to obtain a passport. That may be the bigger issue - not if Carnival will allow this person, but if they can actually possess a passport.

I am planning a group cruise and a member of the group is a registered sex offender. I do not know exactly what his charges were, but I do know that it was more than 10 years ago. but my question is are registered sex offenders allowed to cruise carnival? I would like to know before I misinform this couple.

If this person is a registered sex offender I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that they are also a felon? Typically felon's are not allowed to obtain a passport. That may be the bigger issue - not if Carnival will allow this person, but if they can actually possess a passport.

Where did you get this idea about passports. People who are on felony probation or parole may not be allowed to travel, but there is no prohibition against them having a passport, unless it is part of the terms of their probation or parole.

After checking with carnival the answer is no sex offenders are not allowed to cruise.

This is a direct quote.

Sexual Offenders

From time to time, Carnival may receive advance notice that a guest is a sexual offender. If you should become aware of this information, please contact Guest Services so they can alert our Security Service department. Sexual offenders are not allowed to sail.

They don't directly, but they hire 3rd party companies to do the checks for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know what 3rd parties you are referring to, but access to NCIC is severely limited. And no, cruise ships do not conduct criminal backgrounds on their passengers. Plus if they did have access, can you imaging a cruise ship with 4,000 passengers trying to access NCIC?

I don't know what 3rd parties you are referring to, but access to NCIC is severely limited. And no, cruise ships do not conduct criminal backgrounds on their passengers. Plus if they did have access, can you imaging a cruise ship with 4,000 passengers trying to access NCIC?

My husband is a detective in the sex offenders unit with our county. He has had to call Carnival to notify them that an offender will be boarding their ship. The company was very upset that their 3rd party research company did not catch it. He was not allowed to board in the end. So yes, they do check at least the sex offender lists. I'm not saying they do BG checks on all crimes, just ones involving children. Could be done through FDLE if they live in Florida, not NCIC.

Edited by DCLCrazy

My husband is a detective in the sex offenders unit with our county. He has had to call Carnival to notify them that an offender will be boarding their ship. The company was very upset that their 3rd party research company did not catch it. He was not allowed to bore in the end. So yes, they do check at least the sex offender lists. I'm not saying they do BG checks on all crimes, just ones involving children.

Not all registered sex offenders have a crime against children. But I do agree that since registries are public information, there are companies that can do nationwide searches for anyone on the registries.

Not all registered sex offenders have a crime against children. But I do agree that since registries are public information, there are companies that can do nationwide searches for anyone on the registries.

That's exactly correct. Anyone can go to their states/county's law enforcement website and research it.

That's exactly correct. Anyone can go to their states/county's law enforcement website and research it. Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is not correct for most states. The public does not have access to California criminal records. It would quite a chore for a cruise line to check the states for all of their passengers.

Nice to hear that your spouse is a detective in the sex offender unit. I am retired LE with 30 plus years in Los Angeles. But tell me, how does your spouse know when a sex offender is taking a cruise?

You are correct that not all sex offenders involve crimes against children. The only way to do a nationwide search for anyone with a criminal record would be through NCIC, and neither the public or private companies have access to NCIC.

That is not correct for most states. The public does not have access to California criminal records. It would quite a chore for a cruise line to check the states for all of their passengers.

Nice to hear that your spouse is a detective in the sex offender unit. I am retired LE with 30 plus years in Los Angeles. But tell me, how does your spouse know when a sex offender is taking a cruise?

They tell him. There's a law in our county that says SO LEOs have to check up on them once a quarter. He forms appropriate relationships with them so they build trust with him and he doesn't have to struggle later if he needs them to turn themselves in. They will literally meet him at the jail to surrender without him having to cuff them. Blows my mind! you're right about the state by state stuff. I once worked for an adoption agency. I had to file BG checks on every state the parents lived in. GA didn't even have one till 2013! [emoji44] why would you not have a registry for sex offenders??