Sex offenders and cruising

arkansas travelor

That is not correct for most states. The public does not have access to California criminal records. It would quite a chore for a cruise line to check the states for all of their passengers.

Nice to hear that your spouse is a detective in the sex offender unit. I am retired LE with 30 plus years in Los Angeles. But tell me, how does your spouse know when a sex offender is taking a cruise?

While I won't question your expertise in Cal. LE, and in regards to criminal records, all anyone needs to do is go to the US DOJ National Sex Offender Public Website (NSOPW), and the sex offender registries of all 50 states, DC, territories and commonwealths, and Indian tribes are linked for searching.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjGi9DBgKbWAhUjwFQKHWuTDBYQFggmMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nsopw.gov%2F&usg=AFQjCNFG957oZ-cGE8TTWxPK1ijwJ7G0Qg

I checked California, and the state link is:

https://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/

Not all registered sex offenders have a crime against children. But I do agree that since registries are public information, there are companies that can do nationwide searches for anyone on the registries.

This is true. I feel bad for those who were just caught urinating in public within so many feet of the school that they may have not even known was there. And now they can't go on a cruise or hold certain job. It's a shame but the laws are there for the horrible criminals. I had never even thought about that!

Op , he really needs to find out. It would be a terrible situation to get all the way to the pier and be turned away.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Op , he really needs to find out. It would be a terrible situation to get all the way to the pier and be turned away.

Looks like OP did get a response from Carnival this afternoon, and as almost everyone expected the answer is no:

After checking with carnival the answer is no sex offenders are not allowed to cruise.

This is a direct quote.

Sexual Offenders

From time to time, Carnival may receive advance notice that a guest is a sexual offender. If you should become aware of this information, please contact Guest Services so they can alert our Security Service department. Sexual offenders are not allowed to sail.

While I won't question your expertise in Cal. LE, and in regards to criminal records, all anyone needs to do is go to the US DOJ National Sex Offender Public Website (NSOPW), and the sex offender registries of all 50 states, DC, territories and commonwealths, and Indian tribes are linked for searching.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjGi9DBgKbWAhUjwFQKHWuTDBYQFggmMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nsopw.gov%2F&usg=AFQjCNFG957oZ-cGE8TTWxPK1ijwJ7G0Qg

I checked California, and the state link is:

https://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/

I am well aware of the National Sex Offender Website. That site will certainly identify convicted sex offenders Since you may have worked on a ship, perhaps a cruise ship, do you think every cruise ship departing from a U.S port checks every passnger to see if they are a convicted sex offender? Do the logistics, it would require a ton of employees checking every passenger. But back to the original discussion. As far as NCIC is concerned, cruise ships or third parties DO NOT have access to NCIC.

I am well aware of the National Sex Offender Website. That site will certainly identify convicted sex offenders Since you may have worked on a ship, perhaps a cruise ship, do you think every cruise ship departing from a U.S port checks every passnger to see if they are a convicted sex offender? Do the logistics, it would require a ton of employees checking every passenger. But back to the original discussion. As far as NCIC is concerned, cruise ships or third parties DO NOT have access to NCIC.

It would take one person at corporate and they may even have an automated system for it. I doubt they would make each ship do their own checks (and as mentioned they could just contract the task out to a third party).

Does every cruise ship leaving the US screen for sex offenders? Most likely no, and I nor anyone here said they did. I know that there are lines that I doubt screen. However, there is evidence posted here, from cruise lines' websites regarding notification of offenders, and there is anecdotal evidence that offenders have been refused passage. It appears that at least two lines do check, Carnival and Disney, which is pertinent to the OP. A quick google search brings up a whole list of companies that provide background checks, including sex offender searches, for corporations, so the cruise line would not require any employees doing this, it is merely a contracted expense. And with passengers booking up to a year ahead of time, time does not become an issue.

And from a review of the posts, you are the one who brought up NCIC, and no one disputed your assertion that the cruise lines do not have access to NCIC. You stated that "the only way to do a nationwide search for anyone with a criminal record would be through NCIC". I stated that you could do a nationwide search for registered sex offenders (a criminal record), and a record that is pertinent to this thread, from another source than NCIC.

This is true. I feel bad for those who were just caught urinating in public within so many feet of the school that they may have not even known was there. And now they can't go on a cruise or hold certain job. It's a shame but the laws are there for the horrible criminals. I had never even thought about that!

Here's an idea, don't get drunk and don't pee on a sidewalk near a school. It's not that hard to not get arrested.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here's an idea, don't get drunk and don't pee on a sidewalk near a school. It's not that hard to not get arrested.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think they were defending their choice. I think they were pointing out that you can be considered a sex offender for none child abuse related offenses

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is not correct for most states. The public does not have access to California criminal records. It would quite a chore for a cruise line to check the states for all of their passengers.

quote]

Are you sure? I just did an web search and pulled up California sexual offenders.

quote]

Are you sure? I just did an web search and pulled up California sexual offenders.

Yes, you can search for Sexual offenders in California, but you cannot search for other criminal records. You cannot look up offense such as robbery, burglary, etc. And remember, just like the National sex offender base, unless you know what state the offender committed the sexual offense, you would have to search each state. Just because a sex offender is living in a certain state, that doesn't mean they were convicted in that state. Whereas law enforcement can search NCIC and retrieve the information without knowing what state they were convicted in, as NCIC provides information for all of the states in one search.

Is it true that a 18 year old that have sex with a 17 year old can be convicted as a child sex offender?

Is it true that a 18 year old that have sex with a 17 year old can be convicted as a child sex offender?

That depends a great deal on state law as each has different definitions. Here in Vermont the answer would be no as a general rule because the age of consent is 16.

Yes, you can search for Sexual offenders in California, but you cannot search for other criminal records. You cannot look up offense such as robbery, burglary, etc. And remember, just like the National sex offender base, unless you know what state the offender committed the sexual offense, you would have to search each state. Just because a sex offender is living in a certain state, that doesn't mean they were convicted in that state. Whereas law enforcement can search NCIC and retrieve the information without knowing what state they were convicted in, as NCIC provides information for all of the states in one search.

While it is true that other crimes aren't covered by the registry those other crimes aren't the topic of this thread. I just went to the National website and all I needed was a person's name for a quick search and it showed me every person in every state that was registered with that name.

I am planning a group cruise and a member of the group is a registered sex offender. I do not know exactly what his charges were, but I do know that it was more than 10 years ago. but my question is are registered sex offenders allowed to cruise carnival? I would like to know before I misinform this couple.

Unless you have profesional training of some sort that makes you qualifid to answer such a question I would suggest the offender and his partner (youjmentioned couple) do the research and get their own answers. If you doubt they are correct i f they report to you he is cleared to cruise, you can then consult professionals. Why open your self to 'blame' if something goes wrong and they depended upon your advice?

The optimum word in your question is "Can".

The answer is Yes.

I sure wouldn't want to cruise with one of "Them", as an earlier poster said.

The optimum word in your question is "Can".

The answer is Yes.

I sure wouldn't want to cruise with one of "Them", as an earlier poster said.

This doesn't make any sense. The age of consent in Texas is 17. A 17 year old having sex with an 18 year old, or even a 28... 38 year old is completely legal. Do you not want to cruise with anyone who's having sex?

This doesn't make any sense. The age of consent in Texas is 17. A 17 year old having sex with an 18 year old, or even a 28... 38 year old is completely legal. Do you not want to cruise with anyone who's having sex?

Again, it depends on the state they live in.

I don't think they were defending their choice. I think they were pointing out that you can be considered a sex offender for none child abuse related offenses

Thanks for being smart enough to understand. In a metropolitan setting a school can be around the corner. And you would never know. In Nashville the most exclusive magnet school is downtown, right on Broadway, 2 blocks from the bars.

A lot of times it has to be a two year age difference or greater but I watched the entire special one time about four different couples who were caught up in something similar. The boyfriend was 16 when he met his girlfriend who was 13 and they dated all the way out of high school. He was 18 when she became pregnant and when he got in a fight with her parents they claimed statutory rape even though they have been letting them date for all those years. He had even been living with them dor a year. The baby was dna proof and he went to jail and is a registered sex offender. So I don't judge all sex offender so harshly until I know the real details.

I think the point isn't the state-by-state technicality, but whether anyone really believes an 18 year old person who had sex with their 17 yo BF/GF is a danger to society.

Yes, but the fact that it is a criminal offense in some states, and requires registration for the rest of your life shows the absurdity in the registration laws. No one defends the 40 year old who has sex with a child, but some of the laws are simply absurd, like the above example of someone urinating in public. Is that really a sex offense or stupidity. And, yes in some states that requires registration for the rest of your life.

Yes, but the fact that it is a criminal offense in some states, and requires registration for the rest of your life shows the absurdity in the registration laws. No one defends the 40 year old who has sex with a child, but some of the laws are simply absurd, like the above example of someone urinating in public. Is that really a sex offense or stupidity. And, yes in some states that requires registration for the rest of your life.

I think we're on different tangents but generally in agreement.

Current process is like saying getting drunk (not driving) is the same as rape.

And something that is a ticket in one state, is a lifetime as a registered sex offender in another.

And NO recourse.

Seems to not fit the concept of justice.