Rum Runners

Berniecruiser53

Welcome to Cruise Critic --

This being your first post, you are probably not aware that you have touched on a "hot button" topic -- namely asking for advice on circumventing Celebrity's rules. While some support this effort, many others do not, as a search of this board will show you. That being said, there are some indications that the newest scanners used at some ports are capable of "seeing" rum runners' contents, and that you would not be allowed to bring this liquor on with you.

Hi BernieCruiser53,

This has been discussed at nauseum... here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD... you can do a SEARCH to find past topics.

Celebrity has on one hand a very strict Alcohol Policy in regards to bringing alcohol aboard the ship (exception is the allowance of Two (2) 750 Ml Wine Bottles per Stateroom)... and they X-Ray / Scan* all lugggage brought aboard, both Checked and Carry On... and if they find it your alcohol will be Confiscated if in Original Packaging... or Emptied if not (read your Celebrity Contract... you have AGREED to that)

*Proof Scanners - that are alcohol specific... they can find out that you've replaced your mouthwash with coloured vodka for example... IF it is determined you might be in violation of the Alcohol Policy or have any other "suspect contraband" packed, Security will want to search your bags. Either a hand search of Carry On Bags... or you will be called to the "Naughty Room" to open your Checked Baggage after Boarding so the contents can be examined (this means that your suitcases will be delayed getting to your Cabin etc)

On the otherhand, Celebrity has a very nice Alcohol Policy when it comes to a variety of ways that one can purchase beverages aboard... at different price points...

Ala Carte / Pay as you go - Water, Pop and Coffee Packages - All You Can Drink Alcohol Packages (Classic & Premium) - Wine Bottle Packages ... etc.

In the end using a Rum Runner and having your booze dumped... really isn't worth the hassle or bother.

For more info on the various Beverage Packages that Celebrity offers... see their Website or past topics here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD (excellent STICKY at the top of the Directory)

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Hi, Wondering if any one has recently cruised with Rum Runners?? We are cruising soon on the Eclipse and would like to bring some tequila rose for morning coffee on the balcony. Its just 1 liquor I can't seem to find on a cruise ship.

It is forbidden to bring aboard alcohol other than two bottles of wine on Celebrity. They do check to see if you are smuggling any unapproved liquids. They now have sophisticated scanners that can determine the chemical makeup of liquids in bottles or other containers. These devices use rays that react differently to the different molecular makeup of liquids.

Please do the right thing and abide by the rules.

Please read the policy as stated on Celebrity's FAQ page for more information:

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/pdf/faq/Cel_Alcohol_Policy_07-30-07.pdf

EDIT: I see that Sloop-JohnB already posted a reply while I was still drafting mine. But, I guess it really doesn't hurt to mention the restrictions more than once. :)

Hi, Wondering if any one has recently cruised with Rum Runners?? We are cruising soon on the Eclipse and would like to bring some tequila rose for morning coffee on the balcony. Its just 1 liquor I can't seem to find on a cruise ship.

Hey, welcome to cruise critic. Type in rum runners in the search box and you will get a lot of information. What advice that has been given so far I would take it for what it is -- yada, yada, yada. :D

We use rum runners all the time. The small ones are great and pack well in your shoes. I bring a cognac, baileys, and B&B as I like a variety in my coffee or on the rocks.

Hey, welcome to cruise critic. Type in rum runners in the search box and you will get a lot of information. What advice that has been given so far I would take it for what it is -- yada, yada, yada. :D

We use rum runners all the time. The small ones are great and pack well in your shoes. I bring a cognac, baileys, and B&B as I like a variety in my coffee or on the rocks.

A cheat and a braggart, wrapped in a cloak of sarcasm. Quite the package :rolleyes:

They generally work and I have not heard of any cases of actual rum runners being caught. I have heard of lots of other packages being caught. Any attempt to "smuggle" means taking a risk of being caught, wasting vacation time in the naughty room, and losing the alcohol and the container. It won't lead to imprisonment or even refusal to board (although technically it could). I am increasingly convinced it is not worth the effort, but it might be to you if you want something specific.

Reef used to make sandals called the Dram sandal. It had two, one in each shoe, flasks in the heel of the sandal. You could skip the luggage part and just walk thru the X-ray on embarkation day.

I only make this suggestion cause you want a small bit of alcohol to use that is not available onboard and I can understand that. Otherwise my recommendation would be its not worth smuggling alcohol onboard anymore specially since you always have to go back to your cabin to get it.

Isn't this quite the gathering of Celebrity snobs.....rumrummers work great, bring what you like. I usually pack 4 or 5 rumrunners full and like others have posted just slide them inside your shoes in your luggage and you will get them onboard with no hassles other than from the fuddy duddies on here! LMAO

I'd love to know, besides here on Cruise Critic, where anyone has seen x-rays that can tell if something is alcohol, mouthwash or water? It would take a trained radiologist to read the difference in how the x-rays are "absorbed, transmitted and scattered."

I don't smuggle alcohol. In fact instead i'd highly recommend the wonderful premium drink packages, but honestly, is there anecdotal evidence that the onboard and shoreside scanners can pick up this very subtle radiological difference? Besides "I heard someone's smuggled booze got caught in x-ray?"

I'd love to know, besides here on Cruise Critic, where anyone has seen x-rays that can tell if something is alcohol, mouthwash or water? It would take a trained radiologist to read the difference in how the x-rays are "absorbed, transmitted and scattered."

I don't smuggle alcohol. In fact instead i'd highly recommend the wonderful premium drink packages, but honestly, is there anecdotal evidence that the onboard and shoreside scanners can pick up this very subtle radiological difference? Besides "I heard someone's smuggled booze got caught in x-ray?"

I would be interested in the answer to this as well. If they had security systems this sophisticated, would they not be using these at airports so we did not need to bring our liquids in itty bitty bottles?? I don't smuggle booze onboard (consider me a 'fuddy duddy' if that means I believe doing so is stealing) but would nevertheless be curious as to the answer. I suspect maybe once or twice someone happened to be caught with a rum runner or the like because the x-ray showed something suspicious and they thought it was a special scanner. Either that, or perhaps some empassioned people who do follow the rules are trying to discourage those who do not:)

Here are a few xrays taken at the San Juan port recently. :rolleyes:

drunk_xray.jpg

axr_fb.JPG.jpg

Drunk-Surgeon--3551.jpg

We have done 85 cruises over all the major cruise lines and have use Runners for years with NEVER a problem.

I'm assuming with tags on luggage identifing you as Diamond Plus/Elite or whatever, that some discretion is allowed.

The Christmas prior to last some friends and I went on an RCI cruise and she was called down to the naughty room...she had packed some alcohol in water bottles and also brought some water bottles filled with water...the cruise folks were very strict, they ran your luggage thru their xray machine if they saw the outline of plastic bottles they would pull it aside and search it...they would then shake the bottles in question and watch how the bubbles flowed...she ended up with her alcohol and 1 water bottle...so go figure!

Archived