$500 Bond?

10bosch

Hi Everyone

I am taking my first Cruise on the Carnival Spirit next month. I had decided to take Cash to put on my account, instead of providing my Visa Debit Card to Carnival.

I was told yesterday (by a random person, not Carnival) that if you use cash, you have to also pay a $500 security bond. I hadn't come across this mentioned anywhere else. Does anyone know about this?:confused:

Never heard of that. Random guy might have confused Carnivals suggested amount for a mandatory thing. We put 300 cash on our S&S cards first thing we got on the ship and they said thanks and have a nice day. After spending all that we put more on. We had 7 nice days. :)

I can't even begin to think where they got that from. I know that RCI lets you run up to $500 before they ask you to put cash into your onboard account. I know of no cruise line that requires you to post a $500 bond. You can put as much or as little as you want into your onboard account with Carnival. Can you ask them what they meant by that?

Nope, I only use cash. I normally give them $200 when I board and I know what I spend. Carnival allows you to go negative ( not sure amount) , I think mine has been -$50 before. I just go add some at a machine (like an ATM) when needed. Last night I stop at Service Desk and get any balance I have.

Thanks everyone. The random was someone on Facebook that commented on a conversation that was taking place on the Carnival Australia Page, and they didn't comment back to shut him down.

I hadn't seen Bonds mentioned anywhere else before. I started thinking I might need to take extra cash with me to make sure I had enough. I can stop stressing now.

There is no "security" deposit. They may ask for some money to be put on your account...if you don't spend it all, you get it back. Usually, a nominal amount is required....some lines let you charge UP TO $500 before they ask for any payment.

There is nothing wrong with a cash account..and you will not lose any money by doing so.

You may want to go to the Carnival site look under FAQ, Sail and Sign on board account to find all options. For cash deposit Carnival recommends the following.

2-4 day cruises $100

5-8 day cruises $200

9 day+cruises $300

Do check the site and have a great cruise.