How big is the pour

I'm not a drinker...but let me ask this, if a drink calls for 1.5 oz. of let's say vodka and the drink is perfect like that...does a more generous pour really make the drink better tasting?

Like anything else, taste is subjective.

I'm not a drinker...but let me ask this, if a drink calls for 1.5 oz. of let's say vodka and the drink is perfect like that...does a more generous pour really make the drink better tasting?

The original question named scotch on the rocks as the example. That is scotch and ice nothing else. In this case it doesn't affect the taste, you just get more.

Thanks for the responses. I can see how tipping might work, if one sticks with the same barkeeper.

The original question named scotch on the rocks as the example. That is scotch and ice nothing else. In this case it doesn't affect the taste, you just get more.

Exactly, and just wondering how much is the "base price" portion.

The "pour" doesn't change the taste...he's simply asking how STRONG the drinks are...if he will get his "money's worth"!

After reading '000's of lively (and very entertaining) thread discussions about pricing, drink packages, costs for babies, water, markups, and so on, I'm not exactly looking to gauge "money's worth", because I think that once I board the ship I need to set that aside and not worry about the $$. If anything, I'm thinking total budget, how much we normally drink, what our options are, etc. I'm definitely not going to go over the side worried that RCI is charging too much, and I'm not going to try and cheat my way.

At the same time, I can't deny that "money's worth" is part of that question. :)

I noticed in the solarium last week on Jewel they were using measures...not noticed before.

Admittedly he wasn't really sticking to it as was certainly quite a bit more. Not sure if this new or just getting used as a guide for cocktails.

On P&O they measure all sprits and you certainly get a more generous measure on RCCL

I noticed in the solarium last week on Jewel they were using measures...not noticed before.

Admittedly he wasn't really sticking to it as was certainly quite a bit more. Not sure if this new or just getting used as a guide for cocktails.

On P&O they measure all sprits and you certainly get a more generous measure on RCCL

A while back it was reported that the company was requiring the bar people to use measures.

A while back it was reported that the company was requiring the bar people to use measures.

I guess it was coming that measures would be introduced.

Years ago myself and a friend went on a Thomson cruise and he ordered a scotch. He got a full half pint glass :D

Those were the days :')

Normally pour is not as much as I would want. but I have drink package and if necessary just get another shot to add to drink. Was in a bar upstate NY last year ordered a 1800 gold tequila and was poured a 10 oz glass of straight tequila cost was about 5 bucks , best drink bargain I ever had

Yes there are drinks where too much liquor can distort the taste. I've had more than a few alleged margaritas where there was so much tequila they should have just given us the bottle and some shot glasses. Fortunately it's darn near impossible to ruin a drink by putting in too much liquor unless the liquor has a very distinct taste that completely overpowers the rest of the drink.

On our cruise two weeks ago I spent a lot of time at the Schooner Bar befriending the bartenders and watching them work. For mixed drinks, or any of the lower end liquors, generous pours were the norm. For the more expensive liquors, Ron Zacapa rum in my case, it was more carefully measured out. This included drinks made by the bar manager of the ship (I forget the exact title).