Had a nightmare about packing for Alaska

AlaskaNewbie68

Anyone else have packing stress about their first cruise? I think Alaska is more challenging due to the "layers". We will be on Westerdam on June 10. Had a dream last night our flight left at 4 and at 2 I was still packing! 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"How long have you had this problem?"

Just kidding! I started two months prior taking a guess about what I would wear on which days and evenings, when it would go to laundry, when it would get back, and when I could wear it again. From that I created a very tight packing list - and more than half of the list are items other than clothing; thing after thing that I've seen others say, "I wish I had brought XXX with us on the cruise!"

Maybe we can get a bulk discount at the cruise packing psychologist.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

I’m 10 days out & it’s all I can think about!

My guest room looks like a clothing explosion [emoji33]

I got the layers down & know where I’m going to do laundry-but do I just go with my rain jacket & down vest and down jacket, oh my!

I’m always cold-if this wasn’t a dream vacation....................[emoji16]

Our packing nightmare came true when we sailed on the Westerdam to Alaska a few years ago. We got the packing finished with plenty of time, and had an uneventful flight, but when we landed in Seattle, our big suitcase (the one that had most of our clothes, formal wear, and cute outfits that my wife had selected for our kids months in advance) didn’t make it! The airline told us that it would most likely show up long before we set sail the next day.

Long story short, we checked with the airline the next day and the bag hadn’t arrived and they couldn’t track it’s location. With an hour to go before our pickup to go to the port, my wife and I made a mad dash to Target in downtown Seattle and tried to purchase a wardrobe for our family in 30-45 minutes. It was like that old TV show Supermarket Sweep, with one spouse pushing the cart down the aisles of the store while the other spouse shoved as many thing as she possibly could in it!

We made the most of it, and had an absolutely fantastic time on our cruise, but it was not a fun way to start our cruise. We still chuckle when we look at the photos from that cruise. Our 2 year old daughter is wearing the ugliest cat themed t-shirts in many of them because my wife bought 3-4 identical ones! And our formal attire probably gave many fashion police passengers a heart attack, or at least severe heartburn! [emoji23]

For the record, the airline (Southwest) NEVER located the suitcase. A few months after our return they declared it a complete loss, but between the insurance claim and the Airline’s compensation, we were fully reimbursed for the contents of the lost suitcase, as well as the items that we purchased last minute.

Edited by Tapi

"How long have you had this problem?"

Just kidding! I started two months prior taking a guess about what I would wear on which days and evenings, when it would go to laundry, when it would get back, and when I could wear it again. From that I created a very tight packing list - and more than half of the list are items other than clothing; thing after thing that I've seen others say, "I wish I had brought XXX with us on the cruise!"

Maybe we can get a bulk discount at the cruise packing psychologist.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Haha yes a two for one deal!

Our packing nightmare came true when we sailed on the Westerdam to Alaska a few years ago. We got the packing finished with plenty of time, and had an uneventful flight, but when we landed in Seattle, our big suitcase (the one that had most of our clothes, formal wear, and cute outfits that my wife had selected for our kids months in advance) didn’t make it! The airline told us that it would most likely show up long before we set sail the next day.

Long story short, we checked with the airline the next day and the bag hadn’t arrived and they couldn’t track it’s location. With an hour to go before our pickup to go to the port, my wife and I made a mad dash to Target in downtown Seattle and tried to purchase a wardrobe for our family in 30-45 minutes. It was like that old TV show Supermarket Sweep, with one spouse pushing the cart down the aisles of the store while the other spouse shoved as many thing as she possibly could in it!

We made the most of it, and had an absolutely fantastic time on our cruise, but it was not a fun way to start our cruise. We still chuckle when we look at the photos from that cruise. Our 2 year old daughter is wearing the ugliest cat themed t-shirts in many of them because my wife bought 3-4 identical ones! And our formal attire probably gave many fashion police passengers a heart attack, or at least severe heartburn! [emoji23]

For the record, the airline (Southwest) NEVER located the suitcase. A few months after our return they declared it a complete loss, but between the insurance claim and the Airline’s compensation, we were fully reimbursed for the contents of the lost suitcase, as well as the items that we purchased last minute.

That's terrible! But glad you had a great time!

How many layers depends on where you're from. We're on the land part of our tour right now, so far high temps have been mid-50s to mid-60s. I've been fine with long sleeve or fleece tops, along with fleece jacket, and/or raincoat (so far used as windbreaker). It's ok to wear things more than once, even "smart casual" for dinner, of you're doing MDR. I still bring more than I end up wearing (but less than I used to!) because I like to have choices.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

I'm stressing and hadn't even thought about "lost luggage". We've easily done European trips with a carry-on each, but cruises require more "dressy" clothing. Add that to all the layered clothing and it gets difficult. My husband and I are hoping we can get everything into 1 large checked bag and 2 carry-ons.

0 My husband and I are hoping we can get everything into 1 large checked bag and 2 carry-ons.
I'm not sure I see an upside to having only one checked bag. We're going to have to wait at baggage claim regardless, so splitting our stuff between two smaller bags rather than putting it in one later bag seems safer to us.

Of course, that's thinking grounded in the old days, when everyone got one free checked bag. I guess that's no longer true.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I'm stressing and hadn't even thought about "lost luggage". We've easily done European trips with a carry-on each, but cruises require more "dressy" clothing. Add that to all the layered clothing and it gets difficult. My husband and I are hoping we can get everything into 1 large checked bag and 2 carry-ons.

First - It is amazing what you can get along without when luggage disappears into the abyss operated by the airlines. On a European trip we 'lost' one large suitcase for 5 days; the second one showed up 40 days later at our house. We were partially saved by two actions: 1) in our small carry-ons we each had one complete extra set of clothing, and 2) each suitcase was packed half and half for each of us.

Secondly, Alaska is very, very casual! Nothing fancy is required, unless you wish to stick out. For the summer weather variations, a good waterproof windbreaker, a light long-sleeved liner is all that should be required (even for a walk on a glacier) above and beyond normal clothing.

Don't stress! Wishing you all a terrific vacation in America's last frontier in the Great Land of Alaska.

The advantage of using carry-ons is that you are guaranteed to arrive with them.

You've still got formal nightS and I don't want to wear jeans/legging to the dining room on the other nights.

The advantage of using carry-ons is that you are guaranteed to arrive with them.
Definitely. I was talking about the one piece of checked luggage you referred to.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

How many layers depends on where you're from. We're on the land part of our tour right now, so far high temps have been mid-50s to mid-60s. I've been fine with long sleeve or fleece tops, along with fleece jacket, and/or raincoat (so far used as windbreaker). It's ok to wear things more than once, even "smart casual" for dinner, of you're doing MDR. I still bring more than I end up wearing (but less than I used to!) because I like to have choices.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

Your first sentence is absolutely correct. We live in the Rockies (Outside Denver) and we spend quite a bit of time "at elevation". Snow on the ground 90% of the year. Layers are second nature to us - so much, in fact that more often than not, it's short sleeves most days.

But, when packing, we go by the standard rule - "It's better to have it and not need it, than to NEED it and NOT have it". :D:D

As long as it doesn't add a lot of weight - it goes in.....

I've packed for many cruises, including an Alaskan cruise before, but that was 18 years ago and now I have to make sure 2 kids take everything they need too. It's daunting, but I'm using the Packing Pro app, which is really good.

We're going in July and I started in April making my lists and slowly buying what we need, to spread out the cost over a few months (because we're in Florida, we need everything for Alaska, and my son has outgrown every pair of pants he owns. Plus I'm buying everyone a travel pillow and travel blankets that I'm getting personalized for the kids, to make the flight fun and comfortable). We're cruising with extended family and making a big deal of formal night, where we will take lots of photos, so we have to coordinate formalwear too. As soon as an item arrives, I put it all in the "Alaska pile" so I don't lose anything besides my sanity.

Lost luggage can even happen on a cruise tour. One of my bags was missing at Denali Park village for a day and a half. It was put on bus in Fairbanks and it never made it to our room in Denali. Finally, at 10pm the night before we were going to the ship, it was found in an empty room in a building that is not open for the season yet. A whole coach load of bags went to one building and mine decided it needed some space. 🙄 I would like to know the real story but at least I have my stuff back for the cruise.

Leave your down vest at home. If you need down, you need a whole jacket. I don’t think you need down at all. I Iive in Alaska and we’re taking the June 20 northbound Princess cruise. No down for us. Fleece maybe. And a lined rain jacket is all you need. Gloves and hat and scarf for on deck on sea days. And we’re dressing up.

Just got back from cruise/tour on Coral Princess and my advice is to pack things you could not do without(rain jacket, meds, rainproof shoes) in carryon and large tote or backpack as your personal item. Cross pack in any large suitcases you are carrying. I bought a hoodie in Denali and wore it and a rain jacket over it most days. Took two pair of dress capris, several dressier tops, and one pair of dressier sandals for evenings and it was perfectly appropriate. Everyone told me layers works well and it absolutely does. We saw blue jeans everywhere and even saw a man walking around in a tank top(go figure)! Don't sweat it and enjoy your trip!

Just got back from cruise/tour on Coral Princess and my advice is to pack things you could not do without(rain jacket, meds, rainproof shoes) in carryon and large tote or backpack as your personal item. Cross pack in any large suitcases you are carrying. I bought a hoodie in Denali and wore it and a rain jacket over it most days. Took two pair of dress capris, several dressier tops, and one pair of dressier sandals for evenings and it was perfectly appropriate. Everyone told me layers works well and it absolutely does. We saw blue jeans everywhere and even saw a man walking around in a tank top(go figure)! Don't sweat it and enjoy your trip!

We are doing Denali before the cruise. A friend who did the same thing a few years ago gave us a tip. Each of us will use half of each suitcase. One of them will go directly to the ship, the other we'll use for the few days before we sail. If one suitcase is lost at least we'll have something

If you're from New Jersey, you'll be fine. You'll find Alaska in the summer to be very mild in weather.

A light waterproof hooded jacket and a sweater are about all the layers you really need. Your winters will be way beyond anything you'll experience so you won't even need to buy anything in all likelihood. Just rewear things as needed. You don't wash your jacket after every wearing, do you?

We packed much more than we needed. It was cold and rainy for a lot of the trip but was beautiful anyway. We wore our layers for multiple days, a hoodie with coat over top. I got a waterproof jacket for boat tours and needed it a few times. Clean underwear and socks were the biggest changes. Have a wonderful time, and unless you are a fashionista you will probably be wearing a lot of repeats.

• 2 weeks later...

Went NB Star Princess 5/26 followed by 5 day land cruise and needed winter clothes - coat, neck gaiter, hat gloves, for the two days of glaciers.(And we live in wintry CT) Rest of time didn't need any jacket or just a fleece. We were so lucky not to have rain!