Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:56 PM.
Illinois
8 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
Doing a cruise out of Sydney January 31, 2019. Planning on staying in Sydney for 3 nights before cruise. Any suggestions where to stay that is reasonably priced and close to the downtown area?
Melbourne ( Land of OZ )
265 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
HI ''The other Tom"' one board is ports of call ( ie land based ) Australia and New Zealand

The other board Australia and New Zealand cruisers is for people Cruising in and around Australia like the "'ÜK cruising"'

Since some of cruise line do different things in Australian waters if the cruise starts and ends in Australia.

I hope this explains for you.

Cheers Don.... oh almost time for a G&T
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Why didn't we go cruising before ???
Victoria, Australia
485 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
I never think to look at the “other” board. Thanks for the reminder

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Helen
Sailed
Diamond Princess - Mar 2018 Tassie - 8 nights
Pacific Aria - Nov 2017 Sth Pac - 7 nights
Pacific Explorer - Jul 2017 Sth Pac - 10 nights
Pacific Jewel - Feb 2017 Sth Qld - 7 nights
Golden Princess - Nov 2016 Syd to Melb - 3 nights
Dawn Princess - Nov 2016 Tassie - 6 nights

Pacific Eden - March 2016 Melb to Kangaroo Island return- 4 nights b2b ~
Pacific Eden - 2016 Melb to Eden return - 4 nights

Pacific Eden - Nov 2015 Freo to Sydney ( 10 night inaugural cruise)
Carnival Legend - March 2015 Sth Pacific- 9 nights
Diamond Princess - Oct/Nov 2014 Singapore to Sydney - 19
Sun Princess - Nov 2013 QLD coastal - 10 nights
Oosterdam - Nov 2012 Solar Eclipse - 14 nights
Sea Princess - Nov 2011 NZ round trip - 14 nights
Dawn Princess - May 2011 Half the World - 53 nights (first cruise I booked)
Dawn Princess - March 2011 Melb to Syd - 2 nights
Coming Up
Majestic Princess - Sept 2018 Fiji - 12 nights
Golden Princess - Nov 2018 Syd to Melb - 3 nights

Sapphire Princess - Jul 2019 Norway and Iceland - 14 nights
Golden Princess - Feb 2020 NZ - 13 nights

Sydney Australia
344 Posts
Joined May 2017
You will need a couple of days to get over your flight.
Your ship will probably leave from circular quay,thats next to the opera house and a historic area called the rocks.
Also at circular quay is the main ferry terminal the best kept secret in Sydney.
Around that area hotels are EXPENSIVE.
Sydney has a fantastic and safe train system and there’s a train station at circular quay,a few minutes walk to your ship.

So if you don’t want to spend the big bucks around the harbour all you need is a train station near your hotel.
For something cheaper I would look around
Darling harbour
China town
Haymarket
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Phillip
South Carolina
644 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by getting older slowly
HI ''The other Tom"' one board is ports of call ( ie land based ) Australia and New Zealand

The other board Australia and New Zealand cruisers is for people Cruising in and around Australia like the "'ÜK cruising"'

Since some of cruise line do different things in Australian waters if the cruise starts and ends in Australia.

Thanks, Don
Sydney Australia
388 Posts
Joined May 2015
I don't know what you mean by reasonably priced and how small you are comfortable with in a hotel room, but Ibis Darling Harbour is well located and very reasonably priced for Sydney. Sydney is eye wateringly expensive.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming cruises
RCC Ovation of the Seas 11 April 2020 9 nights South Pacific
Celebrity Solstice 4 January 2019 13 nights Sydney - Auckland
Carnival Legend 26 November 2018 4 nights Melbourne - Sydney

Past cruises
Celebrity Millennium 24 September 2017 11 nights Japanese Explorer
Carnival Legend 7 January 2017 10 nights Sydney NZ South Island Sydney
Celebrity Solstice 8 October 2016 14 nights Sydney to Singapore
Carnival Legend 30 December 2015 10 nights Sydney NZ north island Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
375 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
There many options, but to get you started, some commonly mentioned hotels off the top of my head:

Holiday Inn Old Sydney (The Rocks)
YHA The Rocks
Marriott Circular Quay
Travelodge Wynyard
Shangri-La
InterContinental
Four Seasons
Swissotel
The Tank Stream
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Carnival Spirit - 10 Days South Pacific - June 2018

Golden Princess - 5 Days Tasmania - December 2018
Norwegian Epic - 15 Days Transatlantic - April 2019
Norwegian Bliss - 21 Days Panama Canal - November 2019
Ovation of the Seas - 18 Days Transpacific - April 2020
Previous
: Carnival Legend - South Pacific - March 2016, Carnival Spirit - South Pacific - March 2015
Melbourne, Australia
375 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by getting older slowly

I didn't know this other board existed until I accidentally clicked on it recently when trying to find my way back here. I could see the names of familiar posters but all the posts were different ... I thought I was in The Twilight Zone. It took me a few minutes to figure out it was a different board altogether!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Carnival Spirit - 10 Days South Pacific - June 2018

Golden Princess - 5 Days Tasmania - December 2018
Norwegian Epic - 15 Days Transatlantic - April 2019
Norwegian Bliss - 21 Days Panama Canal - November 2019
Ovation of the Seas - 18 Days Transpacific - April 2020
Previous
: Carnival Legend - South Pacific - March 2016, Carnival Spirit - South Pacific - March 2015
Sydney, NSW Australia
543 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Holiday Inn Old Sydney gets my vote having stayed there a few times even though I live in a Sydney suburb. It is extremely handy to the Overseas Passenger Terminal. If that is where your ship is going from you could not get one any closer. It is a very short and easy walk to the terminal - maybe 200 metres. If you are leaving from White Bay Terminal that is another story altogether as there is no nearby accommodation.
Brisbane
246 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
we stay at north sydney harbourview hotel, they have a cruise package...room breakfast and they transport you to the cruise port ...yes it is on the other side of the habour but the hotel prices are so expensive in sydney so it saves money staying on the other side
12 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
We booked an apartment at oaks goldsborough at darling harbor. Don’t know how it will work out, but I always try to use apartments rather than hotels. Three adults, so it requires two rooms. Price wise it’s also a little cheaper. Booked apartments in Barcelona and Venice, both worked perfectly for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Mid North Coast, NSW Australia
254 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by Aussie One
Check out Napoleon on Kent apartments good price very central no bells and whistles Aussie
This is an excellent choice. ..great price approx $144 night for studio with kitchenette, very close to Wynyard station, Circular Quay, Barrangaroo etc. Definitely worth checking out.
Brisbane
246 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
we stay at north sydney harbourview hotel....they have a cruise package....room breakfast and transfer to the pier on your day of departure....it is above a railway station so you will be able to acess sydney during your stay
Sydney, Australia
787 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by Nan99
Doing a cruise out of Sydney January 31, 2019. Planning on staying in Sydney for 3 nights before cruise. Any suggestions where to stay that is reasonably priced and close to the downtown area?
Australia Day is January 26th, the public holiday is January 28th, you may find prices more expensive particularly on the 27/28th Due to the public holiday...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2007 Pacific Sky, 2010 Pacific Sun, 2011 Navigator of the Seas, 2012 Pacific Sun, 2014 Celebrity Reflection, 2015 Carnival Spirit, 2015 Celebrity Solstice, 2016 Radiance of the Seas, 2016 Celebrity Infinity, 2017 Le Boreal-Antarctica!, 2017 NCL-Getaway, 2017 Celebrity Solstice, 2018 Celebrity Solstice
Melbourne, Australia
604 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
I always stay at the Rydges on Pitt Street (Cnr Liverpool Street)

There is a train station a couple hundred meters walk away.

Check pricing though, as I am not sure what it cost me as I used loyalty points for a free night.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

I come from a land down under
25,371 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by DT1304

Check pricing though, as I am not sure what it cost me as I used loyalty points for a free night.
Rydges are good but can be a bit expensive.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Batehaven, Australia
11,480 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by DT1304

Yes their 'Priority Guest' loyalty program is worth joining, best room prices and points for a stay, meals, drinks. You also get 20% off meals and drinks and a free drink on arrival. Rydges at Sydney International Airport is fantastic for an early road, just across the road from check in at the Terminal. The one on World Square, Sydney is also good, North Sydney one is rubbish. Join Seniors Club on Line or National Seniors and most Rydges will give us Dinosaurs complimentary brekkie.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 480 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'