Alaska Ports

PoppyandNana

I am confused on two ports on our July 3rd, 14 night from Seattle. Icy Strait Point is scheduled for July 8 from 7am to 2pm. Is this an actual port where we get off the ship or a "cruising" port ?

Same question for Tracy Arm - Twin Sawyer Glaciers on July 6th - noon to 5pm

I am confused on two ports on our July 3rd, 14 night from Seattle. Icy Strait Point is scheduled for July 8 from 7am to 2pm. Is this an actual port where we get off the ship or a "cruising" port ?

Icy Strait is an actual port where you get off the ship. Tracy Arm - Twin Sawyer Glaciers is cruising only.

We have done your cruise a couple of times -- A great one.

Icy Straight -- we have been there several times. It is a tender port. At least it was when we were there. Someone mentioned that they were building a regular pier -- don't know of that happened. This is a great port to do a whale watching excursion.

Tracy Arm -- hope your cruise gets up and close to glacier -- no getting off the ship. There will be a narrator on board to talk about this glacier. We have seen a lot of wild life on some of the chunks ice that floated by the ship.

We have done your cruise a couple of times -- A great one.

Icy Straight -- we have been there several times. It is a tender port. At least it was when we were there. Someone mentioned that they were building a regular pier -- don't know of that happened. This is a great port to do a whale watching excursion.

Tracy Arm -- hope your cruise gets up and close to glacier -- no getting off the ship. There will be a narrator on board to talk about this glacier. We have seen a lot of wild life on some of the chunks ice that floated by the ship.

Icy Point Straight is a great place to see whales. I took a private boat tour with four other people a couple of years ago. We were surrounded by whales and two killer whales came directly at the boat and went under it.:eek: Would go whale watching again on a small boat in a flash.

Icy Point is an actual port . It used to be a tender port . Last year or the year before they had a new in service.

Tracy arm is a cruise only location.

ISP - is a stop (used to be tender, but they have built a Dock\Pier.)

Tracy Arm is scenic cruising (If you have a small boat excursion option - take it. That was my most favorite excursion ever.)

We have both on our 14-night cruise this summer & I'm excited.

Hi Poppy and Nana,

As others have said Icy Strait Point is and actual stop and we get to have a pier this year! We were there 3 years ago and had to tender so the dock is a plus. There is a very nice walkway from Icy Strait Point (ISP) to Hoonah that is paved and an easy walk along the water if that's something you enjoy.

Any of the glaciers are scenic cruising. There is an excursion we did out of Juneau a few years ago where we took a small boat back up to Tracy Arm and it was a great excursion. It was time-consuming but we really had a different view of the fjord and got much closer to the glacier. When we're in the glaciers, at least at one of them, there will be free pea soup served on the promenade deck, bow, and on the Lido Deck and in the Crow's Nest.

We also have a dock in Sitka now which is nice. They have a good shuttle system, IMO, to get everyone into town. We were impressed with the people and the ability to get my husband's scooter into town. Sitka is a great town to wander around.

Feel free to come over to the roll call and ask away! This will be our 4th time on this itinerary and love it!

Karen

Hi Poppy and Nana,

As others have said Icy Strait Point is and actual stop and we get to have a pier this year! We were there 3 years ago and had to tender so the dock is a plus. There is a very nice walkway from Icy Strait Point (ISP) to Hoonah that is paved and an easy walk along the water if that's something you enjoy.

Any of the glaciers are scenic cruising. There is an excursion we did out of Juneau a few years ago where we took a small boat back up to Tracy Arm and it was a great excursion. It was time-consuming but we really had a different view of the fjord and got much closer to the glacier. When we're in the glaciers, at least at one of them, there will be free pea soup served on the promenade deck, bow, and on the Lido Deck and in the Crow's Nest.

We also have a dock in Sitka now which is nice. They have a good shuttle system, IMO, to get everyone into town. We were impressed with the people and the ability to get my husband's scooter into town. Sitka is a great town to wander around.

Feel free to come over to the roll call and ask away! This will be our 4th time on this itinerary and love it!

Karen

The walk is probably too long for my DH. Is there any other transport into Hoonah?

Hi Poppy and Nana, As others have said Icy Strait Point is and actual stop and we get to have a pier this year! We were there 3 years ago and had to tender so the dock is a plus. There is a very nice walkway from Icy Strait Point (ISP) to Hoonah that is paved and an easy walk along the water if that's something you enjoy.

Karen

Karen,

Thanks so much for the info. You sound like people we would like to meet.

Dan

We haven't been to Icy Strait Point but our Son and DIL have and where pretty underwhelmed. Sort of a contrived tourist destination (aka a tourist trap in their words) but looks to have expanded since they were there and the Cannery Museum looks interesting. Aside from cruiseline info they have their own web site at: http://icystraitpoint.com/

Site says the cruise dock was opened in 2016. Map of property.

We haven't been to Icy Strait Point but our Son and DIL have and where pretty underwhelmed. Sort of a contrived tourist destination (aka a tourist trap in their words) but looks to have expanded since they were there and the Cannery Museum looks interesting. Aside from cruiseline info they have their own web site at: http://icystraitpoint.com/

Site says the cruise dock was opened in 2016. Map of property.

Without having been, this is my opinion as well - that is why we plan on just walking around here.

(Whale watching & a zip line are apparently the "main" attractions.)

The walk is probably too long for my DH. Is there any other transport into Hoonah?

From what I have seen (on youtube) and read on CC & the internet, there probably isn't a reason to walk into Hoonah. The Visit Hoonah webpage, doesn't even "sell" or describe a "tour" of the town, just what you can do - whale watching, wildlife viewing...

We walked and scootered to Hoonah as it was a lovely day and we enjoyed the walk along the water. There is nothing in Hoonah that's a big draw at all. We did a local tour one trip and the big thing was the eagle nest in town (but no eagles in it). The cannery/museum area at Icy Strait Point is interesting and we enjoy looking around. It doesn't take too long. We've done tours both times we were there and we're considering whale watching this year. We did the forest tram without the tribal dance the last time and the first time was a tour of the area. It was fine and the people were very nice but it was underwhelming when you consider how much there is to do in some of the other ports. On the other hand, after busy days in Ketchikan and Juneau it was refreshing to have a port stop that wasn't hustle bustle and there were no jewelry shops in sight!

Karen

Icy Straight is a developed port for the cruise ship passengers. We enjoyed our walk to Hoonah and found it very interesting. Along the way we found a young native Tlingit man working on one of the two dug out canoes that they would be sailing in on their return to the native ancestral land in Glacier Bay. The second and finished canoe was in the water at the harbor. It was near the harbor that we saw the eagles nest and there were eagles in it. We also stopped by a thrift shop that we found just off the road...and bought a used book by Tom Bodett.

Whether you stay at Icy Straight, go whale watching, or walk to Hoonah is your choice but there isn't time for everything. There is also a lovely trail near the port.

I believe there was a bus to Hoonah but the walk is the adventure.

And you may get the chance to visit with Billy Brown and the rest of the Alaskan Bush people!

We actually saw their boat; the family was not around. The boat was tied up at the dock close to where we went on our whale watching tour with F.I.S.H.E.S.

Is Juneau one of those ports where you don't necessarily need an expensive organized tour? You know, walk around town, maybe pickup a cheap tour on the pier or something of that sort.

Are there any other ports on the 14 day itinerary where just getting off and wandering around is good enough. Can't afford a $500 pp excursion in every port.

Ketchikan has a self guided walking tour. You can get the map at the Visitor's Center.

Juneau is a good place for whale watching. Usually some independents at the dock. Prices are usually similar to the ships excursion. Check the Alaska forum here on CC for info about taking the bus to Mendenhall Glacier -- price has gone up, but still much less expensive that $500 ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Check there also for info on low cost things to do in Sitka. If I remember correctly there is a hop-on, hop-off bus in Sitka.

Kodiak has a few museums which are low cost or no cost.

If you bike, you could rent bikes in Anchorage and do some of the Tony Knowles Trail.

Definitely do some reading on the Alaska forum.

Where would you recommend for salmon fishing on this cruise? We are coming from UK so cant send any home! Is it best to book the HAL salmon fishing or are there independent tours in any of the ports for salmon fishing? We are also going on 3 July and looking forward to the celebrations on 4th! Will there be a good party onboard? Thanks

Where would you recommend for salmon fishing on this cruise? We are coming from UK so cant send any home! Is it best to book the HAL salmon fishing or are there independent tours in any of the ports for salmon fishing? We are also going on 3 July and looking forward to the celebrations on 4th! Will there be a good party onboard? Thanks

Why can't you send salmon back to the UK? They can can or smoke the salmon for you. I would use the ships tour. You could probably find it cheaper if booked independently.

Juneau or Ketchikan are your best bets for fishing.

It's been nearly 20 years since my last visit to Sitka, but we had a wonderful time and were able to walk to many places such as the Raptor Center. It was a particularly memorable cruise (Celebrity) since we had made prior arrangements to renew our vows in the Russian Orthodox church there. The Priest's wife sang the responses, and our children and other family members who surprised us by joining us on the cruise assisted. (Other tourists visiting the church that morning got to see an Orthodox wedding ceremony in progress LOL.) The Sitka Chamber of Commerce even found a photographer for us, who took pictures, had prints made while we explored Sitka, and then gave us the negatives. Everyone we met in the town was incredibly friendly and it didn't feel as touristy as the other ports -- while still having great shopping and interesting things to see. I fell in love with the town, and have always wanted to return. The harbor was absolutely beautiful. Spouse is now deceased, but I'll finally be able to visit Sitka again this year on Oosterdam with one of my "kids," who is now 28. Another "kid" in her 20's is considering trying to get married in Sitka, so that prior visit made a strong impression on our family! Sitka.org has lots of information, including a map so you can see what's within walking distance.

We did have one other AK cruise with NCL. Between the two cruises, we did lots of excursions - everything from flightseeing to Misty Fjords, both the train and renting a car to drive to the Yukon territory, helicopter to glacier, Mendenhall glacier hikes and whale watching. We even enjoyed time spent browsing stores and walking around the towns. We never had a bad excursion or experience in AK.

Edited by Truluv

Is Juneau one of those ports where you don't necessarily need an expensive organized tour? You know, walk around town, maybe pickup a cheap tour on the pier or something of that sort.

Are there any other ports on the 14 day itinerary where just getting off and wandering around is good enough. Can't afford a $500 pp excursion in every port.

I hear ya... We are going to do the Mt. Roberts Tram (if the weather is agreeable) &/or take the "blue bus" to Mendenhall - I'm estimating $120 for both of us if we do both.