Turning 21 during the cruise

OSUcruiser

Does anyone have experience with a son or daughter turning 21 while onboard? Will we be able to upgrade his drink package? How is this handled? Thanks!

The age is boarding day only. Keycard is not changed during cruise so no, cannot upgrade drink package.

I'm surprised to hear that they wouldn't allow him to get a new key card on his birthday and upgrade to a drink package. Youd think that ncl would jump all over someone willing to pay for a drink package halfway through a cruise

Unless recently changed, with most cruise lines, the age you are on embarkation day of the cruise, remains your age (as far as the cruise line is concerned) for the remainder of the voyage.

You’re getting a lot of bad answers, so here you go:

For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest’s age is established upon embarkation (beginning of the cruise). If a guest celebrates their birthday during the cruise, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship’s records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the cruise. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services to present a government issued form of identification to permit verification of their age.

https://www.ncl.com/faq/guest-conduct-policy

You will have no problem getting your underaged kid drinks on any NCL ship. Just buy it and hand it to them. You will never be questioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Part of the fun of turning twenty one is walking up to the bar for the first time, without a fake id....ahem...., and ordering your drink. I remember waiting until after midnight to do it on the day of my birthday. It’s a right of passage! Not to be denied. Lol

Part of the fun of turning twenty one is walking up to the bar for the first time, without a fake id....ahem...., and ordering your drink. I remember waiting until after midnight to do it on the day of my birthday. It’s a right of passage! Not to be denied. Lol

lol I did the same at a local bar back in the day when 18 was the drinking age and 16 was the norm to get phony proof

The 70's were incredible and that baby boomer generation all worked hard had good educations raised great families and are still very much solid citizens. We aren't indoctrinated either lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

lol I did the same at a local bar back in the day when 18 was the drinking age and 16 was the norm to get phony proof

The 70's were incredible and that baby boomer generation all worked hard had good educations raised great families and are still very much solid citizens. We aren't indoctrinated either lol

Been there ... done that ... lived through it.

Forgive me for this but it is "rite" of passage. ;p

Been there ... done that ... lived through it.

And we are some of the most well educated rational pragmatic self sufficient non coddled hard working people around too!!!

We were raised by "the greatest generation" and carried that forward.

No "snowflakes" are we....and neither are my kids who range in age from 17 to 27. Parents who came of age in the 70's raised good solid hard working rational thinking kids thankfully.

Does anyone have experience with a son or daughter turning 21 while onboard? Will we be able to upgrade his drink package? How is this handled? Thanks!

Mommy or Daddy can get Sonny a beer and wine package when they board. That’s probably all sonny needs. At 21, update the reservation and sonny can buy one real drink to celebrate. No need for an upgraded drinks package. Sonny would have to get really toasted every day to make it worth while.

I'm surprised to hear that they wouldn't allow him to get a new key card on his birthday and upgrade to a drink package. Youd think that ncl would jump all over someone willing to pay for a drink package halfway through a cruise

No NCL only allows purchase of the drink package up to the second day I believe. As for upgrading the soda package perk that may be different since it’s not really buying the drink package.

If your phony ID didn't make it past the clerk, then it was outside asking people to buy for you. It worked most of the time. Of course, there were those that said sure ... bought their booze with our money and walked off. But not that often.

You’re getting a lot of bad answers, so here you go:

For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest’s age is established upon embarkation (beginning of the cruise). If a guest celebrates their birthday during the cruise, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship’s records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the cruise. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services to present a government issued form of identification to permit verification of their age.

https://www.ncl.com/faq/guest-conduct-policy

Thank you so much! Exactly what we needed!

No. It is "rite" as in a ceremony, not "right".

Ok, truth. Before you even corrected me, I actually saw I had written it incorrectly. Then I thought about editing to make the joke “eta: right and rite.” Lol. Then I thought no one here would get it. And no one would even notice my grammatical error. Haha, except you! So there you go.

Now WHERE is my martini🍸 ?!

• 3 weeks later...

I will buy him a drink!....I am thinking if u keep this very low profile, u may have a chance in writing NCL special services dept. It helped me once getting on Sugar free ginger ale, and Sugar free sweet and sour mix....I am sure if it does not work out, he will still more then enough to drink with his NCL family...21 I want to be invited to his birthday party, and I am running down to our PDX Saturday market to get him the Cruise 21 t shirt.....Yes NCL needs to be aware of this problem, it seems if it is written it usually is in stone....just sayin:cool:

From NCL:

Just FYI: Even if the above were not the case, an 18-20 can consume beer and wine IF their parent is onboard with them and signs the form allowing them to consume.