Frictionless Boarding

kennyken14

Online check in has opened for our January Allure Sailing. I noticed for the first time it asks me to add a photo to the check in process. The rest of the process seems the to be the same as in the past. Is it reasonable to assume that since the goal is to have frictionless begin at Port Everglades by years end that this is the first precursor to using it or is this now standard on all check ins?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Online check in has opened for our January Allure Sailing. I noticed for the first time it asks me to add a photo to the check in process. The rest of the process seems the to be the same as in the past. Is it reasonable to assume that since the goal is to have frictionless begin at Port Everglades by years end that this is the first precursor to using it or is this now standard on all check ins?

Not standard for all check-ins. For those ships that offer the photo upload, it's optional.

Not standard for all check-ins. For those ships that offer the photo upload, it's optional.
So that being said do you think that is setting up Allure to be frictionless by this particular sailing?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Frictionless boarding was the term RCCL used at their recent media event announcing new technology. When fully implemented would use facial recognition software to “see” you when you arrive a terminal and allow you to proceed direct from dropping bags on to the ship with no check action required.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Frictionless boarding was the term RCCL used at their recent media event announcing new technology. When fully implemented would use facial recognition software to “see” you when you arrive a terminal and allow you to proceed direct from dropping bags on to the ship with no check action required.

I wonder how carry on bags would be checked and passports & ID documents would be verified?

Edited by Host Clarea

I don't believe it will make much of a difference. As a future vision, RCL and others will use technology to make the check-in and boarding experience more smooth and comfortable as well as less costly for the cruise line. Great once bedded in and works smoothly. Will increase the likelihood of more chaos when it goes wrong or exceptional events (like delayed boarding) occur.

Getting us to upload photos and do much as possible online saves the cruise line some time but does not IMO improve flow through security and boarding. It is possible to use technology to manage and control flow (eg. enforcing arrival times, dynamically allocating channels/routes) but not heard anything about innovations to achieve this.

Just had a thought about passport verification if check-ins were removed completely. This could be done at point of boarding (airlines do this) or at security check. Terminals could dispense sea passes in the same way airlines use terminals to print boarding passes.

When I saw the subject line I clicked on the thread expecting to find info on how to ride the FlowRider - those crazy Brits with their funny words!

:D Not us this time. It was the buzzword used quite often at the recent technology announcement by the agency working for Royal.

Everything soon will be 'frictionless' including the one thing that stood out to me - ordering drinks on the new smartphone App for delivery wherever you may be sat.

Personally id rather not be 'frictionless' and instead have a booking website that works but that may just be me...

I work at the port. Sometime in December the Allure will be using the same system as the Harmony where you get sea pass cards at your stateroom. When you arrive at the terminal you go thru security and then directed to the check in area. Once at the counter you hand over your printed out set sail pass, passport and registered credit card and fill out the health questionnaire. If your picture did not upload properly the will take a quick snap, stamp your set sail pass and you will be on your way!! Doors open to check in at 10.... Boarding starts around 11 and staterooms are ready between 1 and 1:30....

When I saw the subject line I clicked on the thread expecting to find info on how to ride the FlowRider - those crazy Brits with their funny words!

Ha!

Personally id rather not be 'frictionless' and instead have a booking website that works but that may just be me...

Might have been a better place to start.