Query re drinks packages 🍷🍸🍾🍹🍻

On board currency in US$? Then it takes between 5 and 6 cocktails or 6 to 7 straight whiskeys or scotches a day including port and sea days to break even. Even more if you drink beer. Of course, all the non-alcoholic drinks like espresso drinks, sodas are included. If you have a few of these the alcoholic drink number goes down a little. There are worksheets posted here on cruise critic. You can search for them. Below is an older one. Add about US$1 to each drink.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576&highlight=beverage+package+evaluator

If your calculation is close to the breakeven it may be worth it for ease throughout the cruise.

My husband and I are looking at a Southeast Asia on the Sapphire and were wondering if the drinks package was worth it. If anyone can give us their thoughts it would be really appreciated. 🤔

There are literally hundreds of threads about this and you'll get wildly diverging opinions on it.

Worth is solely in the eye of the beholder. What's worth it to one isn't even remotely to another.

Take into account your drinking habits while on holiday, itinerary, etc. There's a comprehensive beverage package price list and evaluator here in the forums to get an idea of costs, etc. And decide for yourself.

For us, it's absolutely Wirth it in pretty much any itinerary, given our holiday drinking habits and taking into account everything it covers (every drink $10 and under, which I'd virtually everything but a few upper end scotches and two or three wines by the glass).

For others, it's not worth it at all for whatever reasons. And for some, it's worth it in some itineraries but not others..

You know tour habits and such best. Enjoy, whatever you choose....

Use the calculator (updated in February) in the thread below to determine if it makes financial sense for you. Remember that in addition to alcoholic drinks under $10 the All Inclusive Beverage Package includes sodas, water, juice, coffee, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2456349

Welcome to cruise critic!

My husband and I are looking at a Southeast Asia on the Sapphire and were wondering if the drinks package was worth it. If anyone can give us their thoughts it would be really appreciated. [emoji848]

Our one time experience is that if you are a 6-8 drink a day person, including water and coffee I would say it may be worthwhile. Plus you get 20%, I think, off bottles of wine. We enjoyed it on the Royal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our one time experience is that if you are a 6-8 drink a day person, including water and coffee I would say it may be worthwhile. Plus you get 20%, I think, off bottles of wine. We enjoyed it on the Royal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40% off bottles of wine (and they can be shared with folks not on the AIBP).

Have I read correctly that both people in the cabin do not have to purchase the drink package. It would definitely be worth it for my husband but not for me. That is why we have never purchased Cheers on our Carnival cruises. And the 40 % off on bottles of wine that he COULD share with me would be a definite plus.

Have I read correctly that both people in the cabin do not have to purchase the drink package. It would definitely be worth it for my husband but not for me. That is why we have never purchased Cheers on our Carnival cruises. And the 40 % off on bottles of wine that he COULD share with me would be a definite plus.

That is correct. He could purchase it but you would not have to. He can not share any of the drinks from the package, but he can share the 40%-off bottles of wine. In fact, he doesn't even have to drink from the bottles - he can give you the entire bottle and drink wine by the glass (included in the package). I know several couples who do exactly this.

That is one of the things I like about Princess. DW and I took a Viking Ocean cruise earlier this year, and I would have purchased their spirits package if I could have without DW having to purchase it also. Because of their policy, they did not sell the package. Princess used to require all adults in the same cabin to purchase the package if anyone did, but not anymore. In my opinion, Princess will continue to give us this option as long as people don't cheat and give drinks to their partner - people doing that will lead to the rest of us losing the opportunity to purchase the package by ourselves.

For me it's not worth it. On my last cruise, I wanted for nothing and my 'beverage bill' averaged less than $19 per day. I drink mostly beer and buy them at the BOGOs. I don't buy expensive bottles of water, have to have fresh squeezed orange juice with breakfast... or specialty coffees. I don't buy them on land. Why buy them at sea? :confused:

Could I make it worth it?... certainly! However, at $57.45 per day I'd be spending almost 3x as much... for a hangover. ;p

We have it as a perk on our next two cruises and will likely enjoy the freedom of the package immensely. However, I won't pay for the package out of my own pocket. Our next cruise (where we have it free) would cost over $6,000 for the two of us to purchase the AIBP. No... Freaking... Way... :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...
On board currency in US$? Then it takes between 5 and 6 cocktails or 6 to 7 straight whiskeys or scotches a day including port and sea days to break even. Even more if you drink beer. Of course, all the non-alcoholic drinks like espresso drinks, sodas are included. If you have a few of these the alcoholic drink number goes down a little. There are worksheets posted here on cruise critic. You can search for them. Below is an older one. Add about US$1 to each drink.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576&highlight=beverage+package+evaluator

Hi there is there any chance you could resend the attachment ad I can't seem to open it. Many thanks xx

The beverage package changed recently. Now $59.99 plus Gratuity equals $68.99 per day, any drink up to $12, there is a 15 drink per day limit and Wine discount is 25% per bottle. All people in cabin do NOT have to buy it. No sharing of package, however discounted bottle of wine can be shared. Currently the same price for package whether pre-ordered or bought on board. Buying on board allows OBC to be used.

The evaluator shown in last link does not seem complete. I downloaded the Excel version but do not have link available.

If you use $8 a drink and $59.99 per day - both without gratuity, then it takes 7 drinks plus a specialty coffee to break even. We travel with another couple, he and I will have two beers when we come back aboard; a G&T before dinner, two glasses of wine with dinner; a drink at the show and then a nightcap - add in water and specialty coffee - plus the convenience of drinking whatever, whenever and no bar bill afterwards, it is worth it to us. DW is a glass of wine before dinner, another glass with dinner and maybe a drink at the show - clearly not worth it for her.

For Canadians purchasing the drink package, would it not be advantageous to pre- book it online at the $1.20 exchange rate? If purchased once onboard it would be at the then current exchange which is now nearing $1.30.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For Canadians purchasing the drink package, would it not be advantageous to pre- book it online at the $1.20 exchange rate?

If you're certain that the exchange will go up, then I agree that it's absolutely worth it to purchase in advance online.

About those packages... don't forget that the AIBP isn't the only option out there. For myself, I tend to purchase the coffee card and Soft Drinks & More package. I'm not a big drinker, but love my girly drinks and a good cup of tea. Those two packages have always been more than enough for me and, I believe, a much better bang for your buck than the AIBP.

Like Reedprincess wrote, you'll need to look at your typical drinking habits and decide which, if any, package is right for you.

Not being a big Alcohol Drinker there was no way we were going to drink the package cost of the A.I.B.P. . Being just off the Crown this past March we did buy the Soda and more but as it turned out we did not really use it as much as we thought. The beverage packages did not work for us. Given our preferences if you drink differently it might work for you. Good luck!

• 2 months later...
You are only allowed to get one drink at a time.

Only AIBP or what is now called the Premium Beverage Package is limited to one drink at a time. You are always allowed to charge multiple drinks to your account. My wife who enjoys the PBP and myself who does not drink much, would on occasion ask her to pick me up an alcoholic beverage on her trip to the bar. One was compensated against here PBP the second one was charged to her shipboard account. Your always welcome to buy as many as you want until you become too drunk to carry them.