Stupid questions from a newb

Joecruiser62

Ok, I have about a thousand questions, most of which have been answered in the forums. However, I still have two questions I'd like to ask:

1. Should we put luggage tags on our carry on bags? We're both going to take a backpack and I just don't know.

2. I've read a lot about room service. How long does it take something off the free menu to be delivered? Fifteen minutes? Two hours? We just don't know what to expect.

Thanks in advance. We're sailing on the Elation (7 DAYS!!!). We're in one of the new balcony rooms that was added in dry dock, so I hope I can return the favor to the community with a review when we get back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

don't put luggage tags on carry on. just carry on. the porters see luggage tags, grab your bags, and you have to tip.

sorry I have no idea how long it takes to get room service-I keep saying I am going to, but instead of waiting, I head up to the lido deck. there is 24 hour pizza.

hope that helps, have a great cruise, we were on the elation in December, and are back on her for a 7 day in may.

Ok, I have about a thousand questions, most of which have been answered in the forums. However, I still have two questions I'd like to ask:

1. Should we put luggage tags on our carry on bags? We're both going to take a backpack and I just don't know.

No, unless they already have manufacturer provided ID tags on them. It is not necessary to add one as they will always be with you.

2. I've read a lot about room service. How long does it take something off the free menu to be delivered? Fifteen minutes? Two hours? We just don't know what to expect.

I guess this varies by cruise line but our experience is typically 15 - 30 minutes, depending on what is ordered and what has to be prepared.

Thanks in advance. We're sailing on the Elation (7 DAYS!!!). We're in one of the new balcony rooms that was added in dry dock, so I hope I can return the favor to the community with a review when we get back.

See my comments in red. Enjoy your cruise.

No reason to put luggage tags on your carry ons. They will be with you. Room service seems to depend on when you order it. For a continental breakfast, you can put the order out the night before and select a window of time which is pretty accurate. A late night order may take a while longer and I believe now is no longer free. Ordering during the day will be around 30 minutes.

I disagree you should put luggage tags on your carry on. If you set your carry on or backpack down and walk away without it you now stand a chance of getting it returned to the rightful owner. Better safe than sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I disagree you should put luggage tags on your carry on. If you set your carry on or backpack down and walk away without it you now stand a chance of getting it returned to the rightful owner. Better safe than sorry!

I totally agree! My husband carries his diabetic meds in his carry on and it would be horrible if he accidentally left it somewhere and didn't get it back quickly or at all. I even put a Carnival luggage on my camera case.

I totally agree! My husband carries his diabetic meds in his carry on and it would be horrible if he accidentally left it somewhere and didn't get it back quickly or at all. I even put a Carnival luggage on my camera case.

I probably go overboard (pun intended) and I put extra luggage tags inside all of our luggage checked and carry ons. If the tags get ripped off someone can still figure out who they belong to. On our last cruise about two days into our cruise the room strewards put a paper with a picture of some missing luggage in every room trying to locate it. I can’t imagine being without any of our luggage for more than 24 hours!

No stupid questions...and welcome!

Have to agree, tag all luggage even the backpack. I have had an elevator door close while pushing out a stroller and a bag slipped off my shoulder INTO that closing space!!! I could not run down the steps because of the stroller and sleeping 3 year old. I went to guest services and reported it lost and then took the baby to my cabin. Someone took it to the hallway and left it outside my room. I had my bag tagged. I was lucky.

Room service, I always ask for an estimated time for the food. I ask first before ordering. If longer than 30 min I just say no thank you and run to the pizza station. Something else I do is grab a few pieces of fresh fruit and a few cookies when passing the buffet during the day. I always have something to snack on in my cabin IF I need it.

I probably go overboard (pun intended) and I put extra luggage tags inside all of our luggage checked and carry ons. If the tags get ripped off someone can still figure out who they belong to. On our last cruise about two days into our cruise the room strewards put a paper with a picture of some missing luggage in every room trying to locate it. I can’t imagine being without any of our luggage for more than 24 hours!

I do the same exact thing.....tags on the outside of all luggage (checked & carry-on), copies of tags inside all luggage!

Thanks in advance. We're sailing on the Elation (7 DAYS!!!). We're in one of the new balcony rooms that was added in dry dock, so I hope I can return the favor to the community with a review when we get back

We just got off her Thursday. Since you haven't experienced a balcony room on other ships, you will be ok with the small balcony room, smallest I've ever had. Didn't have anything to sit on in the room except the stool under the desk. If you have your bed set up to king size, you will have just enough room to bring one of the deck chairs inside. Hope you have good weather, and enjoy your cruise!

I put a luggage tag on my drawstring backpack as well as our larger backpack. I even do a reduced size one for my camera. This way, if I leave it somewhere, hopefully I will get it back. Just because you have a luggage tag on your luggage doesn't mean you have to hand it over to a porter. We stopped doing that years ago after losing a set of cuff links. Since we were flying, we don't know exactly where they went missing. If you check your luggage, be sure to have that sort of stuff in your carryon. I punch a hole in the tag after using tape to waterproof it and make it sturdier and use a ponytail holder to attach to my luggage. That makes it simple to take off to put on the backpack.

I disagree you should put luggage tags on your carry on. If you set your carry on or backpack down and walk away without it

Tag everything...then you will have some chance of getting your property delivered to your cabin. Besides,.....how long would it take you to be proactive? Once delivered to your cabin, the tags can all be discarded.

Tagging the actual camera, not just the case (if you have one) is a great idea. I had never thought of that before ! Which gave me another idea ... Label on your cell phone, in case it gets misplaced. I have a Brother P-Touch label maker and the labels stick great but are are not permanent ... label for the cruise then remove afterwards. In fact, I think I will label my phone & hubby's right now with one to leave on all the time "if found, please contact Sxx Dxxxx at 000-000-0000". Then add cruise info when time for the cruise comes up.

Tagging the actual camera, not just the case (if you have one) is a great idea. I had never thought of that before ! Which gave me another idea ... Label on your cell phone, in case it gets misplaced. I have a Brother P-Touch label maker and the labels stick great but are are not permanent ... label for the cruise then remove afterwards. In fact, I think I will label my phone & hubby's right now with one to leave on all the time "if found, please contact Sxx Dxxxx at 000-000-0000". Then add cruise info when time for the cruise comes up.

Great idea.

I love my label maker.

We also put copies of tags inside our luggage.

You just never know.

My husband uses exactly one staple ("staple here") on the luggage tag. I use 5: one at the base and two along each side. He looks at me like I'm crazy with all my stapling and I look at him like he's taking way too many chances with his single staple.

This made me laugh! Sounds like my house[emoji1]

DH and I order breakfast room service every morning and you select the time you want in 30 minute increments and it always arrives in that 30 minute window. We order 7:30-8:00am. I normally order room service for lunch most days and on port days it arrives within 30 minutes, but on at sea days it takes longer because of volume and usually takes 50 minutes. I usually order lunch between noon-1pm. We always tip the waiters at least $3 per order. After 30 Carnival cruises, we have always been happy with room service.

Room service will take a very long time on port days around the time everyone is due back on the ship. Many are tired and only want to go to their room but are also hungry so room service is the answer. The other times are usually shorter than 30 minutes. Breakfast is the easiest and always on time especially if you order it the night before using the menu in the room.

Remember that if you want something order it as they usually only bring what you ordered and do not anticipate your needs such as condiments.

We print off extra ones for our carry-on but put them in one of the pockets. Then at port if we deem it necessary to check them at the last minute we attach them there. Plus we print extra and put one inside each checked piece on top incase the original are ripped off some how.

Room service time will vary. Port day and every one is back at 3:30. Buffet is closed. Only option is pizza. Deli or guys. People just want to go to cabin. Chill before dinner. Many use room service. Port day mornings and you call. Expect a long wait

I agree with this 100%. I put tags on everything even my camera strap. One may not intentionally walk away and leave it somewhere, but, at least, it is identified as to who it belongs to. No one knows where it would end up if not tagged.

Speaking of camera, I always take a picture of my name/address/email address etc. In the event that it is lost, someone can see who it belongs to when they look at the pics.

1. Should we put luggage tags on our carry on bags? We're both going to take a backpack and I just don't know. I did, but I do not think it had any use.

2. I've read a lot about room service. How long does it take something off the free menu to be delivered? Fifteen minutes? Two hours? We just don't know what to expect. On the Paradise last month it was taking well over an hour to get food delivered.

43 days til I board the Elation and I have Cabin G3. Love to hear a review when you get back.