Would you complain?

megann831

We were on the Pride last week and overall had a nice time. Dinners were tricky, we were traveling with my daughter who had just turned 4 and my son who is almost 2. Every night the table was set for four with the china and 2 glasses for each of us so the 1st thing we did was try to stack things up to make space for the kids so they wouldn't break anything and because they usually wanted to color or something. Kind of annoying, but not a big deal.

I found ordering a drink near impossible. It took forever to get a glass of wine, one night I even had to remind them. I decided to just buy a bottle. As the drink waitress poured my glass, with a full bottle, she dropped the bottle and broke my husband's water glass. I guess she was embarrassed or something. Without a word she picked up the broken glass and left. She didn't apologize, she didn't bring my husband a new water glass, and she did replace any spilt wine. I understand things happen, but I really didn't like how she handled it. On the survey I got I did include this event under things that surprised me in a negative way. Would you take it any further? Would you have said something on board? We're not planning on cruising again any time soon, so it's not like I want an on board credit or discount or anything.

Was the wine replaced? You said she DID replace the wine. If so, then an apology to your hubby was in order...but at this point, I'd just forget it. Like you said, stuff happens. Sometimes, you just have to let things go! They call it an "accident" for a reason.

Edited by cb at sea

You should have said something onboard. What is your complaint? That she didn't apologize? She definitely should have. And the slow service getting drinks is something I've noticed before. Usually I try to bring my drink in with me cause the bar service is slow in the mdr. You filled out the survey. Not sure what else you want to do at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

She did or didn't replace the spilt wine? Not sure if that was a typo and she didn't, but I would have said something on board to the Maitre d'. If wine was lost, maybe not having to pay for the bottle would have been a nice apology.

I think the time to mention it was to the maitre'd while on board. He probably would have rectified the slow drink service and you likely would have gotten a proper apology for the incident. I agree the person dropped the wine bottle didn't handle it well and an apology was in order, but I think the time has passed. You noted it in your survey and short of writing a letter of dissatisfaction about it, not sure what more you can do.

When something happens on board the ship that upsets you , it is always best to tell someone about it!

How can the situation be corrected or the person involved be educated about how to handle it next time if no one ever tells the folks in charge about it???

I don't call it "complaining" which has such a negative connotation. I would call it describing an issue.

Nothing will ever change if folks keep their feelings/problems a secret

I guess maybe I'm just an easy going person, but I don't really see anything worth complaining about. I may have said something to the Maitre d', if there were a lot of wine lost. Otherwise, I probably would not have said anything at all.

I've had stuff spilled ON me at restaurants, and I don't complain. Stuff happens, and it was an accident. I certainly wouldn't complain about an accident this small.

People are never happy.

I think everyone in this world should work for at least ONE year in the restaurant/food service/bar service/cruise industry.

Accidents happen and always will.

Imagine your daughter or son, working his way through college by waiting tables. She comes home crying because of an absent (potentially large tip) due to something that went wrong.

Your response as a mother would not be "well, you should have been more careful" NO.....it would be something totally different,

It is a fact that the food industry and Health Industry are the most stressful careers/jobs one could have and it takes very special people to accomplish either one.

Unless you have been there....done that...you have no idea.

Would I have apologized? ABSOLUTELY.....but perhaps she was so embarrassed (or new) (or her dog just died)....she was not thinking straight.

If you complained to the proper authorities, would it make you feel better? Do you know if this woman would be fired? Shifts taken away? Loss of wages?

I am sure she did not do this on purpose or try and ruin your cruise. Can you move on and let us know the GREAT things, NICE things, HAPPY things that happened on your cruise ???

Edited by champagne123
xxxxx

We were on the Pride last week and overall had a nice time. Dinners were tricky, we were traveling with my daughter who had just turned 4 and my son who is almost 2. Every night the table was set for four with the china and 2 glasses for each of us so the 1st thing we did was try to stack things up to make space for the kids so they wouldn't break anything and because they usually wanted to color or something. Kind of annoying, but not a big deal.

I found ordering a drink near impossible. It took forever to get a glass of wine, one night I even had to remind them. I decided to just buy a bottle. As the drink waitress poured my glass, with a full bottle, she dropped the bottle and broke my husband's water glass. I guess she was embarrassed or something. Without a word she picked up the broken glass and left. She didn't apologize, she didn't bring my husband a new water glass, and she did replace any spilt wine. I understand things happen, but I really didn't like how she handled it. On the survey I got I did include this event under things that surprised me in a negative way. Would you take it any further? Would you have said something on board? We're not planning on cruising again any time soon, so it's not like I want an on board credit or discount or anything.

If you have an issue with service on board, why not address it right away while still on board?

I don't understand people that wait until after the cruise to complain about something that happened while on board.

Then, ask an internet board if they should say something.

Only you can determine of the service was bad enough to say something.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Andy

FYI: Most of my post comes from working in a call center for credit unions on the past. People would wait until they got home to call and complain about something that happened in the branch instead of dealing with it AT THE BRANCH.

:confused:

Accidents do happen and that is understandable but it is the way they are handled afterwards that matters. Unless we are missing some information that the OP can come back and add it seems that a purchased bottle of wine was dropped, a water glass broken and the person just walked away.

IMHO what should have happened is the person should have apologized immediately, had the table re-set with a clean table cloth and water glass replaced with a new one. The wine bottle if new at the time should have been completely replaced or a new glass should have been poured from another bottle to replace the amount that was spilled.

It doesn't matter if the server was having a bad day and had an accident or that they are someone's child. Everyone is someone's child. If things had been handled properly at the time then no one should have to complain after the fact. I do agree that it does no good to complain after the fact. If the response was unsatisfactory then the Maitre'D should have been notified at the time.

Edited by Mysticks1

actually, I would complain to the parents about allowing them to have coloring books and things at the dinner table.

Years ago on a RCCL cruise, my now 18 yo DS was about 8, and our large family group was sitting away from the bar, in a lounge watching a championship basketball game on tv. Some of the group had ordered drinks, and when the waiter brought them, he stumbled and spilled a sticky green Apple Martini all over my son, from head to toe. Got me a bit too.:eek:

I went to the cabin, washed us off and changed our clothes, and went back to what we were doing. I didn't complain, it was actually kinda funny.

Wow. Sorry you had this experience.

Edited by cruisemama1

I think you miss my point folks.

Of course you don't complain about an accident like spilling wine! Accidents happen to everyone!

You DO describe the situation and suggest that the person involved be aware that a new glass and new wine and an apology would have been appreciated.

No one is going to be fired in the middle of a cruise for dropping wine but they can be educated about how to handle the situation if it happens again!

I didn't read anything worth complaining about after the fact.

The time to comment for a minor but concrete issue like this one was right when it happened. I'd have made a comment to the Maitre d', which probably would have netted you a new bottle of wine.

I'm not sure Carnival corporate will do anything for you now, but it doesn't hurt to try. Be concise and honest in your comment and see what happens.

Edited by gtalum

actually, I would complain to the parents about allowing them to have coloring books and things at the dinner table.

Have you ever dined with a 2 and 4 year old? :D

For that matter, Carnival actually gives kids a kids' menu with pictures to color and crayons to color with.

Edited by gtalum

People are never happy.

I think everyone in this world should work for at least ONE year in the restaurant/food service/bar service/cruise industry.

Accidents happen and always will.

Accidents happen, true, but if the OP's account is accurate this incident was not handled well. Every business and every employee will make mistakes. The measure of the business and employee is how they rectify the situation.