Equinox Redeployment

Wine-O

But they are. Personally, many of our family and friends are afraid and can't believe we just chose to travel to Europe and have two others planned. There is enough fear out there, I would imagine, for Celebrity to not be able to adequately fill all their ships there at prices they can stomach. Thus, reduce inventory and hope that they can fill their remaining ships at less than fire sale prices.

It seems like quite a few are moving over to the reflection for April 22!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

News story about moving Equinox to Caribbean in 2017. No mention that to do so they had to cancel the already sold cruises in Med!

We booked early to get the cabins we wanted. A couple of months ago we were informed that our cruise was cancelled and suggested we move to another cruise. Found one 2 days later but also 2 days shorter but the dates were important to fit in with granddaughters schooling.

Now today we have been told that cruise has also been cancelled, obviously to move the equinox to the Caribbean . I had booked flight to Barcelona and a hotel in Barcelona. The only cruises offered that fit into time frame were for Fjords did that last year, or Greek Islands did that one year before.

I have always loved Celebrity but after 2 cancellation not sure I would trust them again

Well said!! We also were booked on the Equinox 2017 TA, had all of our post cruise plans booked, as well as airfare back to Boston!! Hardly did we expect this "blip on the radar"; however, we found a TA on the Freedom of the Seas that will work with our previous plans, with a few minor adjustments. We haven't sailed with RCCL in years; but, perhaps, the time has come to leave Celebrity aside.

News story about moving Equinox to Caribbean in 2017. No mention that to do so they had to cancel the already sold cruises in Med!

We booked early to get the cabins we wanted. A couple of months ago we were informed that our cruise was cancelled and suggested we move to another cruise. Found one 2 days later but also 2 days shorter but the dates were important to fit in with granddaughters schooling.

Now today we have been told that cruise has also been cancelled, obviously to move the equinox to the Caribbean . I had booked flight to Barcelona and a hotel in Barcelona. The only cruises offered that fit into time frame were for Fjords did that last year, or Greek Islands did that one year before.

I have always loved Celebrity but after 2 cancellation not sure I would trust them again

I understand why they needed to cancel some Europe sailing, because of the troubles there and peoples fear of going. They also should have always had a ship offering year round sailing in the Caribbean just like most if not all of the other major lines do. I have had to because of health problems cancel two cruises with them and change the date on another in the last 12 months. Celebrity did all of this at no charge to me. They still trust me.

I hope not because I'm rebooking on Brilliance TA for 17 April. Hate to see that one cancelled and going Caribbean for the summer also. :eek:

Hi mike and Maureen,

We were looking forward to the Equinox TA and meeting you! We are very annoyed with Celebrities' alternatives, so we booked the FOS TA leaving FLL on 4/23/2017. It fits in with most of our post-cruise plans and hopefully we will enjoy this new experience!

Carolyn

I would hardly consider Europe to be a "volatile" area. Horrible things happen all around the world... For people to be "afraid" to go to Europe because of recent events (with the exception of the attempted coup in Turkey)? My advice is to take a look in your own backyard. The only reason we mainly choose cruises out of North America is because of the airfare savings, and the reduced suite fares, definitely not because we feel safer...

Ummm, Did you read what I wrote? I never said Celebrity was pulling the ship because of the area not being safe, I said the pax are making the decision not to book, my guess is because they feel its not safe or don't want to travel to Europe because they feel uneasy. Either way Celebrity is pulling capacity from Europe, whether due to less pax, lower ticket prices or whatever, the fact is they they are going where they feel can fill the ship at a better rate. I'm sure it's not an easy or inexpensive decision but it is what it is.

Do you have another thought why Celebrity would do this with only 9 months to sailings:confused:

Myself, I have no desire to go to Europe, safety reasons or not. Give me a nice sandy beach and a cocktail and I'm good.:D

Ummm, Did you read what I wrote? I never said Celebrity was pulling the ship because of the area not being safe, I said the pax are making the decision not to book, my guess is because they feel its not safe or don't want to travel to Europe because they feel uneasy. Either way Celebrity is pulling capacity from Europe, whether due to less pax, lower ticket prices or whatever, the fact is they they are going where they feel can fill the ship at a better rate. I'm sure it's not an easy or inexpensive decision but it is what it is.

Do you have another thought why Celebrity would do this with only 9 months to sailings:confused:

Myself, I have no desire to go to Europe, safety reasons or not. Give me a nice sandy beach and a cocktail and I'm good.:D

I most certainly did read what you wrote. I just don't agree with your statement that Europe is a volatile area (as compared to North America).

I do agree that Celebrity has made these decisions because many North Americans are hesitant to travel to Europe because of misinformation.

I also am not in a hurry to get to Europe again, but only because I'd rather spend my money on Suite Class as opposed to airfare.

I do agree that a sandy beach and a cocktail anywhere sounds good ;)

Edited by KW Cruisers

I want to star by saying that I am EXTREMELY empathetic to anyone who has had their plans changed on them by this redeployment. It is always a bitter pill to swallow. I have had it happen to me more than once.

That said, I think Celebrity is making a wise business decision. Even before the most recent incidents in France and Turkey European bookings have been soft for most lines this year, largely due to very high international airfares. Most cruise lines have had to run hefty promotions or offer deep discounts to fill ships, especially in the Mediterranean.

There has been a void of a more premium cruise product in the Caribbean during the summer months. This year cruisers had the choice of the Oasis Class Behemoths, NCL's overcrowded squeeze every penny out of you Amusement parks at sea (Escape/Getaway), or the Carnival tack-a-rama floating tugboats. There is definite a place for the Equinox to stand out and offer something more relaxing and sophisticated for families with children, young couples, retirees, and so on than the aforementioned options will provide.

They have every right to allocate their resources anyplace they like but I think they royally blew the way they handled it. I also don't recall seeing any reason why they did it. The speculation is that it was done for safety reasons. Why only one ship? Why aren't anybody else following suit? There's got to be dozens of ships still sailing in Europe. My guess is that it's strictly financial, which is their right.

How did they blow it? This could have went down one of two ways: 1) They decided to do it one day and did it. I doubt it as even they aren't that irresponsible. 2) They been exploring this for months, or even years before doing it. My question is "At anytime were the people who had booked a cruise impacted this given any consideration? Based on the number of ships and different sailings, there has to be thousands. It doesn't appear they were. As they got closer to the decision, why not freeze the bookings instead of selling them right up to the announcement. When you open bookings two years before sailing you should expect people to start booking thinking it's business as usual.

Some people plan and save for that special cruise and then it's gone. But as long as upper management get their bonuses, and the shareholders get their money, too bad for the loyal customers.

Do you mind me asking where you heard this information? We are scheduled for September 2017 and would be so disappointed to have our cruise cancelled. Oddly enough, when I go on the Celebrity Site, ours is the only cruise not coming up. :confused:

Want to confirm the redeployment for anyone that doesn't already know. We have booked a 10 day Southern Caribbean for May 5, 2017 on the Equinox. I have been disappointed that Celebrity did not have any ships in the Caribbean between April and October so am very glad to hear this news. We spent 25 days on the Equinox last fall in the Med and TA, and just love this ship.:D Sorry for anyone already booked for next spring but there are several other ships that will be sailing that area, and I'm sure Celebrity will be very helpful in rescheduling them. With all the trouble in that area now I am not surprised they are not sending all their ships there next summer.

Just re-booked Reflection 19th May 2017 sailing. Additional costs £4! They have honored the lower service charge (which has increased since we made the original booking) and still given us a 2A cabin for a 2B fare which again was the original offer when booking Equinox.

USD 200 additional OBC, so USD 600 in total together with the free classic beverage package (transferred from Equinox booking).

All I have to do now is book flights to Rome (as the airline I booked to Barcelona does not operate a Manchester to Rome service), then send the nonrefundable costs of the Barcelona flights together with the costs of the new flight to Celebrity and they will pay the difference.

Not too bad a deal.

If that was a UK booking and this was an offered alternative should be covered by package holiday regulations no extra cost.

If that was a UK booking and this was an offered alternative should be covered by package holiday regulations no extra cost.

It is a UK booking but Celebrity state that any alternative offered is available but at prevailing rates. To be honest I'm not going to quibble about £2 pp, but I am disappointed to read that now that the ship is staying in the Caribbean that guests are being lured by loads of offers, including premium drinks packages and free internet because $200 per cabin does not cover the cost of those for a 10 day sailing.

It is a UK booking but Celebrity state that any alternative offered is available but at prevailing rates. To be honest I'm not going to quibble about £2 pp, but I am disappointed to read that now that the ship is staying in the Caribbean that guests are being lured by loads of offers, including premium drinks packages and free internet because $200 per cabin does not cover the cost of those for a 10 day sailing.

They are not playing by the rules, alternatives should be no extra cost even if a better cruise, if cheaper they should refund the difference.

if no alternatives then full refund including compensation(no limit) for any losses on other parts like hotels and flights booked independently.

Just seen your other post with the list of options, complaint to ABTA they are breaking the code of conduct and not following package holiday regulations..

Edited by insidecabin

Well said!! We also were booked on the Equinox 2017 TA, had all of our post cruise plans booked, as well as airfare back to Boston!! Hardly did we expect this "blip on the radar"; however, we found a TA on the Freedom of the Seas that will work with our previous plans, with a few minor adjustments. We haven't sailed with RCCL in years; but, perhaps, the time has come to leave Celebrity aside.

If you are Captain Club Elite or higher, you will be greatly disappointed when sailing on RCCL ships. Their "happy hour" is just wine and discounted beer. We sailed TA on Navigator of the Seas and the social hour was held in The Dungeon which was their disco area and was dark with no windows. Terrible!

The Captain Club social hour on X is always in the Navigation Lounge (Sky, Vista, etc) and has a large open area. Large variety of free cocktails, beer and wine as well as nice "horsedoovers".

If you are Captain Club Elite or higher, you will be greatly disappointed when sailing on RCCL ships. Their "happy hour" is just wine and discounted beer. We sailed TA on Navigator of the Seas and the social hour was held in The Dungeon which was their disco area and was dark with no windows. Terrible!

The Captain Club social hour on X is always in the Navigation Lounge (Sky, Vista, etc) and has a large open area. Large variety of free cocktails, beer and wine as well as nice "horsedoovers".

If you are Elite on X you should be recognised as Diamond on RCI and seeing that the poster is sailing on Freedom, which has a dedicated 'Diamond Lounge', a full cocktail 'hour' (which is longer than on X, of 3 hours) and which provides a wider choice of complimentary beverages from cocktails, beer and wine. Only on ships that do not have a dedicated Diamond Lounge is there a 'Diamond Event' where only wine and discounted beer is served.

I suspect when you sailed on Navigator, she had not had a dedicated Diamond Lounge installed, which she has now after a recent refit and drydock.

If it is a TA and there are too many Diamond members for the lounge, RCI will normally relocate to the show lounge on deck 5, but will still offer a wide range of free beverages including cocktails.

Edited by peteukmcr

They are not playing by the rules, alternatives should be no extra cost even if a better cruise, if cheaper they should refund the difference.

if no alternatives then full refund including compensation(no limit) for any losses on other parts like hotels and flights booked independently.

Just seen your other post with the list of options, complaint to ABTA they are breaking the code of conduct and not following package holiday regulations..

Thanks for your suggested next steps, but to be honest I'm not going to complain to ABTA as I'll only do that if they quibble over the refund for my nonrefundable flights and cost of the new ones.

You do realize this can happen on any cruise line.

If you are Elite on X you should be recognised as Diamond on RCI and seeing that the poster is sailing on Freedom, which has a dedicated 'Diamond Lounge', a full cocktail 'hour' (which is longer than on X, of 3 hours) and which provides a wider choice of complimentary beverages from cocktails, beer and wine. Only on ships that do not have a dedicated Diamond Lounge is there a 'Diamond Event' where only wine and discounted beer is served.

I suspect when you sailed on Navigator, she had not had a dedicated Diamond Lounge installed, which she has now after a recent refit and drydock.

If it is a TA and there are too many Diamond members for the lounge, RCI will normally relocate to the show lounge on deck 5, but will still offer a wide range of free beverages including cocktails.

We much prefer the Diamond Lounge experience on Royal Caribbean to the Captains Club social hour on Celebrity. Much wider selection of drinks and for a much longer time. Typically the Captains Club social hour is when we are at dinner. Also Royal will put three drink coupons (restricted menu and hours) on your sea pass card that you can order at almost any bar (except in the dining room).

In any case we usually get a drinks package as a perk on Celebrity so the Captains Club social hour deficiencies are not that big a deal for us. We really don't feel the need for a drinks package on Royal with the longer cocktail hour and free drinks loaded on your sea pass.

We were booked on the Equinox TA spring 2017 but obviously no longer booked. Just checked in with Cruise Critic after being away for a few days and found out about Equinox (our favorite ship in the Celebrity fleet) is now year long in the Caribbean.

I read in one post that Celebrity was hosting webinars over a couple of days. I guess that is why we have not heard from our TA.

We booked for the 2017 sailing while on Equinox's spring's TA. We want to go back to Europe but may now rethink. I understand that many are happy to be sailing in the Caribbean during the hot summer months but it is not for us.

Happy Sailings!

Edited by Gran2five

We much prefer the Diamond Lounge experience on Royal Caribbean to the Captains Club social hour on Celebrity. Much wider selection of drinks and for a much longer time. Typically the Captains Club social hour is when we are at dinner. Also Royal will put three drink coupons (restricted menu and hours) on your sea pass card that you can order at almost any bar (except in the dining room).

In any case we usually get a drinks package as a perk on Celebrity so the Captains Club social hour deficiencies are not that big a deal for us. We really don't feel the need for a drinks package on Royal with the longer cocktail hour and free drinks loaded on your sea pass.

Thank you for the affirmation that we will not be disappointed with the Diamond Lounge on Freedom of the Seas!

As I posted earlier, it has been years since we sailed on Royal. We found Celebrity and thoroughly enjoyed our "entire experience"! Now, we are feeling disenchanted by this redeployment, so it's time to move on!!

Thank you for the affirmation that we will not be disappointed with the Diamond Lounge on Freedom of the Seas!

As I posted earlier, it has been years since we sailed on Royal. We found Celebrity and thoroughly enjoyed our "entire experience"! Now, we are feeling disenchanted by this redeployment, so it's time to move on!!

Bertie is the concierge on the Freedom, Diamond lounge. We always have a great time and experience in that lounge. Continential breakfast and specialty coffee in the morning and the social hour is great to meet other frequent cruisers. We have great memories and friend from our times in there. Enjoy Royal.

We are back on the Freedom in February, then Celeb in April and October 2017.

:)