Wages / Employee Benefits of Waiters and Cabin Stewards

harryw

I've never seen any posts regarding what are the actual hours, earnings and employee benefits of ship staff. Maybe its a closely held secret and employees are reluctant to talk about it, sort of like Keith Olbermann's current position.

Waiters and cabin stewards do seem more busy, but I wonder if renewed contracts reduce any wages or benefits, and/or extend working hours.

As cutbacks in service continue, maybe employees work harder for less. And I assume its a non-Union shop.

When you say "staff" I assume you mean the stewards, waitstaff, etc. There is another "class" of employee refered to as "staff" but you later mention stewards so that's what I'm thinking you're asking about.

I'm certainly no expert but their wage is just $50/month (plus gratuities). I believe they're paid the same no matter how long they've been employed. And to my knowledge I think the only benefit they get is onboard medical attention if needed. From what I've heard, the company does pay their airfare to get them home; not sure who pays to get them to their port at the begininng of their contract.

Definitely NOT union!

Waiters and stewards receive nearly all of their pay in the form of tips. Not much in terms of benefits - small (shared) room on the ship, food (nothing like the passenger food though) and some medical benefits. They get about one day off per month and often work 12 or more hours per day. Pretty much they are people who come from countries where there is little job opportunities for them, so they are willing to work hard, long hours and be away from their family for extended periods of time in order to be able to send money back home.

The hours for waiters vary depending on venue.Those who primarily serve in the MDR tend to work more hours. Althugh the base pay is the same, many choose to work the "easier" schedule in the Speciality Restaurants. I believe the average work day is now 14 hours and that's a recent reduction. As has been said, they work for tips. I've always been impressed by the quality of the dining room staff.

The hours for waiters vary depending on venue.Those who primarily serve in the MDR tend to work more hours. Althugh the base pay is the same, many choose to work the "easier" schedule in the Speciality Restaurants. I believe the average work day is now 14 hours and that's a recent reduction. As has been said, they work for tips. I've always been impressed by the quality of the dining room staff.

But is this true? From what I have read many times on this board, the personnel from the Specialty restaurants also man the Bistro and Aqua Spa and have long hours too.:confused:

But is this true? From what I have read many times on this board, the personnel from the Specialty restaurants also man the Bistro and Aqua Spa and have long hours too.:confused:

The guys who run the Aqua Spa Cafe Cafes are the same ones who

work in the Specialty Restaurants. At least those on the M class

ships.

I find this thread a little uncomfortable - I would not like an open forum discussing my salary.:confused: And I certainly would not ask someone else what their income is. I am always taken aback when I hear that people have asked their waiter/steward/bartender what their salary is!

The question was about the industry. Not any one individual person..:rolleyes:

As pointed out, the wage is the same for every person doing the same job. They all know what each other makes, its not a personal thing..

There are ALOT of industry's where it is common knowledge what the rate of pay is. :rolleyes:

I would WELCOME a board that discusses the wage within my line of work .:)

My feeling is that understanding the industry is a great wake up call to some passengers. Crew are worked to the bone and fed mostly starchy and inexpensive foods. Sometimes I feel badly for some of them and wonder if my cruising contributes to poor labor practices bordering on abuse. Do other cruisers have these thoughts about the industry?

Waiters and cabin stewards do seem more busy, but I wonder if renewed contracts reduce any wages or benefits, and/or extend working hours.

Cabin Steward / Stewardess / Cabin Attendant (daily cleaning of passenger cabins) - no experience required, some experience preferred. Basic English Language skills required. Salary range: $1800-2200 U.S. per month, depending on gratuities from passengers. Possibilities for promotion to Head Room Steward.

Dining Room Waiter/Waitress, (serving passengers, explain the dishes, make recommendations, supervise assistant waiters assigned to their tables) - lots of experience and fluent English Language skills required. Salary range: $2200-3800 U.S. per month, depending on gratuities from passengers. Possibilities for promotion to Dining Room Head Waiter.

from

http://www.cruiseshipjob.com

My feeling is that understanding the industry is a great wake up call to some passengers. Crew are worked to the bone and fed mostly starchy and inexpensive foods. Sometimes I feel badly for some of them and wonder if my cruising contributes to poor labor practices bordering on abuse. Do other cruisers have these thoughts about the industry?

Where did you get this idea:confused: We have ordered meals in the MDR from the crew kitchen and it was wonderful. Our Maitre'D assisted us in a wonderful Indian dinner on the Millie. The crew kitchen serves multi nationalities/religions menus every day for the crew. The crew work long hours and for months on end in without seeing their families, but they receive fair pay and good food.

I initiated this thread out of concern for the working conditions of the more labor - intensive staff. (although I have some curiousity as to what officers, sales shop personnel, photographers, etc. earn.)

As I've done more and more cruises over the years, I've seen how hard wait staff and cabin stewards work (although some seem to work harder than others.)

Some waiters and cabin stewards have sporadically shared personal stories about the long hours, and missing their loved ones back home. I truly have come to admire many that I have met (and sometimes cringe when some passengers treat them, in tone and impolite direction, like personal servants, an "Upstairs, Downstairs" syndrome.)

So having participated in a thread about the MANY cruise line cutbacks, I am just concerned that the number crunchers at Corporate might have decided to give more work for waiters and cabin stewards to do, for less.

Since the salary is peanuts compared to what they get in tips, those crew members who have more rooms or more diners to service, hence more tips. So yes they are working harder w/ crew cutbacks, but they theoretically should be getting more in the way of compensation. I know I had a friend who was a waiter and got really bummed if he was given fewer tables, or if he had tables w/o diners. Fewer passengers at his table equated to less in the way of tips.

Totally agree with you Christine. I had this exact conversation twice in the last 6 months with 2 recently quit Cruise ship officers (one from X btw).

Where did you get this idea:confused: We have ordered meals in the MDR from the crew kitchen and it was wonderful. Our Maitre'D assisted us in a wonderful Indian dinner on the Millie. The crew kitchen serves multi nationalities/religions menus every day for the crew. The crew work long hours and for months on end in without seeing their families, but they receive fair pay and good food.

I initiated this thread out of concern for the working conditions of the more labor - intensive staff. (although I have some curiousity as to what officers, sales shop personnel, photographers, etc. earn.)

As I've done more and more cruises over the years, I've seen how hard wait staff and cabin stewards work (although some seem to work harder than others.)

Some waiters and cabin stewards have sporadically shared personal stories about the long hours, and missing their loved ones back home. I truly have come to admire many that I have met (and sometimes cringe when some passengers treat them, in tone and impolite direction, like personal servants, an "Upstairs, Downstairs" syndrome.)

So having participated in a thread about the MANY cruise line cutbacks, I am just concerned that the number crunchers at Corporate might have decided to give more work for waiters and cabin stewards to do, for less.

Regardless of our thoughts on this issue, I think its laudible that you have raised a concern for the well-being of the wait staff and stewards. There is always a danger that cost-cutting may affect disproportionately those workers.

It's also a good reminder to treat them with the respect they deserve for a job that many of us might shun or perform with much less grace than they achieve.

My information comes from a Restaurant Manager and a Maitre'D at one of the speciality restaurants. I've also asked some of the servers about their schedule. The major difference in work load is Lunch service. They all work long, hard hours.

(although I have some curiousity as to what officers, sales shop personnel, photographers, etc. earn.)

Captain (responsible for the entire operation of the vessel). Captain's licenses and all applicable certifications by a recognized maritime government body required. Extensive experience with minimum five to eight years in subordinate positions on board ships and solid experience in all navigational electronic and computerized equipment required. Diploma from an accredited maritime training school or facility and fluent English Language skills required. Salary range: 5800-9800 U.S. dollars a month, depending on the cruise line.

Shop Assistant / Gift Shop Sales Associate - some retail experience preferred. Fluent English Language required. Salary range: $1600-2000 U.S. per month, depending on commission. possibilities for promotion to Assistant Gift Shop Manager.

Photographer (passengers portraits, photo processing) - some experience required. Whilst generally either formal qualifications or photo experience are required, non-photographers are also hired, provided the candidates have the RIGHT ATTITUDE, ENTHUSIASM and PERSONALITY! Good English Language skills required. Salary range: $1800-2100 U.S. per month, plus commission. Possibilities for promotion to Assistant Photo Manager.

from

http://www.cruiseshipjob.com/

Very true : you'll find the '' Murano''-type venues personnel working the Aquaspa-type venue in the morning.

Cheers

I find this thread a little uncomfortable - I would not like an open forum discussing my salary.:confused: And I certainly would not ask someone else what their income is. I am always taken aback when I hear that people have asked their waiter/steward/bartender what their salary is!

WELL SAID !

Thanks for pointing this out. That was my initial impression when I opened that thread.....'' IT"S NOBODY'S BUSINESS'' ....

It's bad enough they receive pittance...we could at least give them the decency& courtesy of not trivializing it on a public chat line....

Cheers

WELL SAID !

Thanks for pointing this out. That was my initial impression when I opened that thread.....'' IT"S NOBODY'S BUSINESS'' ....

It's bad enough they receive pittance...we could at least give them the decency& courtesy of not trivializing it on a public chat line....

Cheers

Huh? How is it trivializing them? The OP's intent was out of genuine concern for the hard working crew, not to mock them. Threads like this are important. If everybody realized they are only earning $50 per month in actual salary, working about 14 hours per day and only receiving about one day off per month then people would be less likely to skimp on their well deserved tips. About 98% of their pay comes from tips. People need to know that and reward them as appropriate.

Huh? How is it trivializing them? The OP's intent was out of genuine concern for the hard working crew, not to mock them. Threads like this are important. If everybody realized they are only earning $50 per month in actual salary, working about 14 hours per day and only receiving about one day off per month then people would be less likely to skimp on their well deserved tips. About 98% of their pay comes from tips. People need to know that and reward them as appropriate.

Exactly.

Archived