Transatlantic: Oasis or Rhapsody

Which transatlantic ship would you choose, Oasis or Rhapsody? i have been on the Grandeur many times, the same size as Rhapsody and the Oasis and the Anthem once each, plus many other ships but never for a transatlantic. Has anyone regretted taking Oasis on a transatlantic or wished they booked on a bigger ship? Since we are diamond, we like to use the lounge but i assume the transatlantic cruises have a lot more diamond and diamond plus on them abd so the lounges are crowded.

Oasis is a balcony but Rhapsody ofean view has better ports, including the Canary Islands.

Which transatlantic ship would you choose, Oasis or Rhapsody? i have been on the Grandeur many times, the same size as Rhapsody and the Oasis and the Anthem once each, plus many other ships but never for a transatlantic. Has anyone regretted taking Oasis on a transatlantic or wished they booked on a bigger ship? Since we are diamond, we like to use the lounge but i assume the transatlantic cruises have a lot more diamond and diamond plus on them abd so the lounges are crowded.

Oasis is a balcony but Rhapsody ofean view has better ports, including the Canary Islands.

What are the oasis ports? Independent of ports I’d do oasis b/c there is more to do and it is a long cruise. But ports could be a difference maker.

What are the oasis ports? Independent of ports I’d do oasis b/c there is more to do and it is a long cruise. But ports could be a difference maker.

They both end in Malaga and Barcelona. Rhapsody stop at Key West then two stops in he Canary Islands. Oasis is San Juan and St Maarten, places weve all been many times. Thanks for your input.

We really enjoyed our first TA on the Rhapsody in November, which also had port calls in the Canaries. It was big enough for us. Of course, we've never been on a ship bigger than the Sovereign or Majesty so perhaps we just don't know what we are missing. We have no plans to find out, however.

I've done Vision on a TA. Loved it. But there was a group of 8 of us so we were our own entertainment. Oasis will offer more on sea days, but I loved just relaxing on the pool deck or balcony. But you are right, there will be LOTS more Diamonds on the ship! For me, I would do Rhapsody. Better ports, fewer passengers, more relaxing. But if you're someone who wants to do something all day long, then Oasis would be better. Really up to your likes and dislikes.

Our very first T/A was eastbound T/A on the Allure in 2015 and we also sailed the eastbound T/A on the Rhapsody in 2017. The Allure was nice and since it was our first sailing on the mega Oasis class, the ship was our destination. But we prefer the intimacy of the smaller ships and the ports of call along the way are usually plentiful.

Today, the itinerary and pricing are what we primarily consider when looking through the available sailings.

Good luck with your decision.

Tough choice but for us we would do the Rhapsody..................love the smaller ships. TA's have a lot of sea days and we tend to spend them on a balcony or go to the solarium - my wife has her Kindle and I have my Sudoku books. The TA's are full of C&A members - so the Diamond Lounge will be packed - we were on the Harmony TA and it had 200+ Pinnacle's and it was a zoo. I would think that Rhapsody might not be as crazy.

Suggestion - check out the threads here on CC for each of the cruises - you may be able to detect a "vibe" or find some cruisers that you have met on prior cruises............that may be a help in making your decision.

Never done a TA but would choose Oasis as it has more to do. With all the sea days, I would get a bit claustrophobic on Rhapsody.

I really want to do an Oasis Class TA. Very nearly decided on the Symphony TA, but that's no longer in the cards for me. About another 5 years before I will be able to go on one. :(

tough choice but for us we would do the rhapsody..................love the smaller ships. Ta's have a lot of sea days and we tend to spend them on a balcony or go to the solarium - my wife has her kindle and i have my sudoku books. The ta's are full of c&a members - so the diamond lounge will be packed - we were on the harmony ta and it had 200+ pinnacle's and it was a zoo. I would think that rhapsody might not be as crazy.

Suggestion - check out the threads here on cc for each of the cruises - you may be able to detect a "vibe" or find some cruisers that you have met on prior cruises............that may be a help in making your decision.

194 😉

I did the east bound TA on Allure in 2015 and it was not what I had expected, after doing a west bound a few years earlier on the Jewel. There were about 5 kids on the cruise yet almost every activity in the promenade was geared toward the kids. There were 3 activities (other than trivia) held twice a day every day and all 3 were scheduled at the same time, 10 am and 1 pm. So you had to pick which activity you wanted to do (card making, learning bridge or knitting). Although I now could probably play bridge, since the classes for that were held in the dining room right next to where we were doing card making and I think I absorbed the instructions through osmosis.

Not a lot of places to sit and read (my favorite activity on a cruise). We tried the library but a group had been assigned that for their daily meetings, tried Dazzles but there was some sort of memorial service being held in there, and my favorite place, the Viking Crown lounge, was closed for the whole cruise because they were doing construction in there. I guess I could have gone to the Diamond lounge, but this was pre-refurb and the D lounge was very small and not really quiet because it opened onto the promenade below.

I fault the activities director for the lack of things to do. He basically just took the schedule from the regular 7 day itinerary and ran through it twice. He did not take into consideration the demographics of this much longer cruise or the 10 sea days in a row, which was quite different from the regular itinerary with 3 ports each week.

Tough choice but for us we would do the Rhapsody..................love the smaller ships. TA's have a lot of sea days and we tend to spend them on a balcony or go to the solarium - my wife has her Kindle and I have my Sudoku books. The TA's are full of C&A members - so the Diamond Lounge will be packed - we were on the Harmony TA and it had 200+ Pinnacle's and it was a zoo. I would think that Rhapsody might not be as crazy.

Suggestion - check out the threads here on CC for each of the cruises - you may be able to detect a "vibe" or find some cruisers that you have met on prior cruises............that may be a help in making your decision.

Taking Trans Atlantic's, Panama Canal or Repo's they have many Upper Tier Crown and Anchor. Last 2 Serenade Repo's was so many(half the pass) that the whole Viking Crown Lounge was used every nite as over flow. Regular passengers couldn't use it...

I fault the activities director for the lack of things to do. He basically just took the schedule from the regular 7 day itinerary and ran through it twice. He did not take into consideration the demographics of this much longer cruise or the 10 sea days in a row, which was quite different from the regular itinerary with 3 ports each week.

This is why I am not wanting to do the Symphony Transatlantic. Having good activities is necessary on any cruise with several sea days, regardless if it is Rhapsody or an Oasis Class. Whilst the Oasis Class has more to do than smaller ships, the activities are still very important for that sort of sailing and having sailed with the Cruise Director who will be on that sailing on two prior occasions, I don't think he is up to the job.

Shame to hear that the CD and AM on the Allure TA didn't schedule enough good activities either. What were they expecting guests to do all day? Surely these sorts of sailings are planned months in advance?

Stay away from Oasis for a TA if you can.....Solarium is terrible for the rough weather - so are all the pools as they are not much sheltered - CP and BW useless when it is cold or raining - not much indoor space for all those people - it will be terribly crowded!

I suspect most posters recommending Oasis have not been on a O-class ship with bad weather!:eek:

Actually Oasis will offer LESS choice as most things will be overcrowded and less space as this ship is not good for a TA with less than sunny weather!

Stay away from Oasis for a TA if you can.....Solarium is terrible for the rough weather - so are all the pools as they are not much sheltered - CP and BW useless when it is cold or raining - not much indoor space for all those people - it will be terribly crowded!

I suspect most posters recommending Oasis have not been on a O-class ship with bad weather!:eek:

Actually Oasis will offer LESS choice as most things will be overcrowded and less space as this ship is not good for a TA with less than sunny weather!

I have been on an Oasis Class ship with bad weather. Harmony in the Med in Oct 2016 had a fair bit of rain. It didn't affect my cruise too much, but the issue with you is that you seem to enjoy having the opportunity to criticize the Oasis Class whenever possible, and you've done it over a year now.

Of course, it is a pain when the outdoor decks are shut, but most other people on the Harmony TA still seemed to have a good time and many are going on the Symphony. Some activities may be limited if it is raining outside, but a ship like Rhapsody will absolutely not have anything more to offer in those circumstances.

Some activities may be limited if it is raining outside, but a ship like Rhapsody will absolutely not have anything more to offer in those circumstances.

How about a propper solarium and sheltered pools on Rhapsody?

Nothing like that on O-class.....!(n)

I find it "interesting" - you have NEVER been on a TA - yet you are the master to judge orhers and their experince!:o

How sad!:rolleyes:

How about a propper solarium on Rhapsody?

Not so much on O-class.....:confused:

I find it "interesting" - you have NEVER been on a TA - yet you are the master to judge orhers and their experince!:o

How sad!:rolleyes:

I also find it sad with how much you criticize the Oasis Class ships on the forum. I have ships that I don't like that much, but I haven't continually criticized them.

Not discussing this one any further, as we are just going off topic.

BTW - I find the constant use of emojis to be condescending.