No more tendering for HAL in Sitka, AK

Copper10-8

Not sure if this has already been brought up; starting with this, the 2016 Alaska season, HAL ships will no longer be tendering to either the Crescent Harbor and/or the John O'Connell Bridge tender docks in Sitka, AK

Instead, HAL ships will be mooring/berthing at the Old Sitka Dock at Halibut Point, located approx. five miles north of downtown Sitka. Halibut Point is located in an industrial part so cruise ship pax will be bussed to the O'Connell Bridge tender dock, close to downtown. The Old Sitka dock has been used as a cruise ship dock since the 2013 season. There is a terminal building on site

Not sure if this has already been brought up; starting with this, the 2016 Alaska season, HAL ships will no longer be tendering to either the Crescent Harbor and/or the John O'Connell Bridge tender docks in Sitka, AK

Instead, HAL ships will be mooring/berthing at the Old Sitka Dock at Halibut Point, located approx. five miles north of downtown Sitka. Halibut Point is located in an industrial part so cruise ship pax will be bussed to the O'Connell Bridge tender dock, close to downtown. The Old Sitka dock has been used as a cruise ship dock since the 2013 season. There is a terminal building on site

Thanks for the info John. :) We'll be there on the Westy in nine days. ;)

I see it's still listed as "TR" on HAL's website for the itinerary for the May 7th cruise. Also, they list port guides from AFAR which are dead links.

So sorry we missed Jacqui and Jose (Kazu) on the Westerdam. :(

Edited by kjw869

Hi John,

Welcome back from the World Cruise! This is interesting news about Sitka. Will the buses be equipped for those with mobility issues? My husband uses a scooter and we take it off ship so he can enjoy the town. We've wandered all over Sitka!

Karen

Count me as one who does not like this change (but I do understand the reasoning behind it). Tendering in Sitka is a wonderful, beautiful, experience. The dock doesn't give you that at all.

So was this dock newly built (in Old Sitka), or was it just not used previously? (old dock in Sitka) (Why the change?)

How much will this affect the lovely sail in?

Adding: Copper, what was the best part of the WC for you? Were you able to get ashore much?

Edited by TiogaCruiser

I was wondering about this. Thanks for posting. I'll be on the Amsterdam at the end of the month. When I cruised to Alaska on the Carnival Miracle back in 2014, we docked at the industrial port and were taken by school bus into town.

Roz

This is interesting news about Sitka. Will the buses be equipped for those with mobility issues? My husband uses a scooter and we take it off ship so he can enjoy the town. We've wandered all over Sitka!

Excellent question.

It does no good to have a shuttle if you can't access it with a needed mobility device.

Even if you can access the shuttle without it, the drop-off point at the bridge is too far from town to be able to do anything once you climb down.

Count me as one who does not like this change (but I do understand the reasoning behind it). Tendering in Sitka is a wonderful, beautiful, experience. The dock doesn't give you that at all.

My one HAL cruise to Alaska was forced to skip Sitka due to weather (couldn't launch the tenders due to high swells), so this would have been a preferable option for me. Sadly, I haven't been back, but I did get an excellent tour of Westerdam's galley.

That's great to hear that this is a permanent change. We docked there last September when the weather was so bad the Amsterdam could not go to the tendering sites.

Barbara

I remember that well; Glad he was OK ;)

Thanks for answering so quickly. Will there be taxis available at the drop off bridge to take passengers into town? Ruth says is too far to do anything after climbing out of the bus.

Note that I mentioned distance as a problem for those who have mobility problems, including some who don't use a wheelchair or scooter.

The last time I was dropped off at the base of the bridge it would have been too far for me to walk in to town, even though I wasn't using an assistance device at the time. I had a tour that picked us up at the tender dock.

There was a shuttle to town at the time, though.

Note that I mentioned distance as a problem for those who have mobility problems, including some who don't use a wheelchair or scooter.

The last time I was dropped off at the base of the bridge it would have been too far for me to walk in to town, even though I wasn't using an assistance device at the time. I had a tour that picked us up at the tender dock.

There was a shuttle to town at the time, though.

Ruth,

Thanks for your reply. My wife and I don't use devices, but we aren't young any more either :D Just trying to decide whether to take a ride into town or book an excursion.

Copper,

Thanks for answering so quickly. Will there be taxis available at the drop off bridge to take passengers into town?

Jim; there will be taxis available at the Old Sitka dock terminal. Take the driver's phone number with you for the return pickup/ride back. Remember, Sitka is not New York City or L.A.; there are a limited number of taxis doing business in town

Jim; there will be taxis available at the Old Sitka dock terminal. Take the driver's phone number with you for the return pickup/ride back. Remember, Sitka is not New York City or L.A.; there are a limited number of taxis doing business in town

Thanks for the information and suggestion about getting the driver's phone number.

We've done Sitka numerous times and gone all over the place (including over the Japonski bridge) with my husband using his scooter. I think there is a city bus system that operates when the cruise ships are in town.

Copper, any news on the availability for handicapped transport to town?

Karen

PS: The trails at the Sitka Totem Park and the walk along the marina area are so scooter friendly and a great place to spend some time!