Leaving tomorrow on Explorer

kaykels

I can't believe RCCL is not making an announcement for us! We are supposed to leave out of a port expecting almost a direct hit, with no clear path to outrun the storm. There is no itinerary change announced. I don't think we can run around the storm to call on Bermuda, unless they know something that we don't. The other cruise lines have canceled their Bermuda stops. I just wish they would give us some information BEFORE we drive all the way to the port, packed and ready.

Really!!! you will have nothing to worry about!!! Hurricane Sandy is far enough away that Explorer can leave without any concerns! I can see you are very concerned for your family...Royal hasn't said much because it looks like the weather will hold up for your ship to depart on Sunday. If anything they may request to leave an hour or two earlier on Sunday. Enjoy your vacation starting now.... Explorer is a huge ship that was built to handle large storms. Royal will not take their ship into the path of a hurricane......enjoy one of the best ships and definitely best crews in any fleet!

I suspect they haven't made an announcement because they don't know what they're going to do yet. It's not like the cruises out of FL where you can just head west to get away from the storm. Out of NJ the options are pretty limited.

If RCCL thought the weather wouldn't be an issue they would have said so. To me their silence on the issue is telling. I suspect they'll make a decision this evening though, or at least provide some additional info.

I can't believe RCCL is not making an announcement for us! We are supposed to leave out of a port expecting almost a direct hit, with no clear path to outrun the storm. There is no itinerary change announced. I don't think we can run around the storm to call on Bermuda, unless they know something that we don't. The other cruise lines have canceled their Bermuda stops. I just wish they would give us some information BEFORE we drive all the way to the port, packed and ready.
Sandy is currently projected to be 2-3 hundred miles south of NY when you sail. Unless that changes, there is no reason to change the itinerary. Also, the ship's cruising speed is twice the current speed of Sandy, outrunning it, if that becomes be necessary, will not be a problem.

Have you ever been in turbulence in a plane?? They are engineered to operate in this climate. When we cruise we are on a ship...they move with the ocean...if we wanted to be stationary we would vacation on a land resort!! Just accept there is going to be some ship movement tomorrow but Monday the weather will be much more like usual. Don't stress yourself out....start to enjoy your vacation! You will be OK!!! RCCL knows what they are doing!!

From the Weather Channel a few minutes ago- Then an extraordinary combination of meteorological ingredients will continue coming together to produce a historic storm in the northeastern states, with the peak being Monday into Tuesday after Sandy makes an unusual turn sharply back toward the coast, blocked from moving out to sea by a pattern which includes an exceptionally strong ridge of high pressure aloft south of Greenland.

Hopefully they are right about the timing and you all will be long gone before then. Fingers Crossed!:o

I posted this on another thread...

Positive thoughts...positive energy...

Positive thoughts...positive energy...

That is what we need plenty of on this cruise!!

I've taken care of every precaution that I could here at home so that I don't have to worry (and our area is one of the predicted areas of the inland hard hit), so tomorrow I will put my faith in the weather gods and Royal Caribbean for our trip. I know at least RC will not put me in harms way. If we have rough seas it is what it is...so let's all get onboard and know that one way or another we'll be okay.

:) :)

new Jersey has issued a state of emergency and scattered evacuations. the port is likely to close. the ships in fl are still having a horrlble time today and it went by yesterday..its important to take this storm seriously

Have you ever been in turbulence in a plane?? They are engineered to operate in this climate. When we cruise we are on a ship...they move with the ocean...if we wanted to be stationary we would vacation on a land resort!! Just accept there is going to be some ship movement tomorrow but Monday the weather will be much more like usual. Don't stress yourself out....start to enjoy your vacation! You will be OK!!! RCCL knows what they are doing!!

I think it is a tad over optimistic to think that by Monday it will be pretty much back to normal. This appears to be a historic storm in terms of it's magnitude and it likely will have a major impact over a wide region that persists for a few days. I am sure the ship will be safe, but realistically I think people need to be ready for a very bumpy ride for at least a couple of days, possibly a few days. One thing is for certain, there definitely will be added excitement on this cruise and people will have a great story to tell.

Here is a website depicting the wave model forecast for the next several days:

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=natla_height

You should be fine to get on board and out to sea. We went through Hurricane Noel TWICE... yes we hit it on the way down but it really took a shine to Explorer so he hung around until we headed north again. At one point, the captain came on and announced that there was a chance we'd have to head east to Bermuda and if that was the case we would not get back until Tuesday. He did a great job and we were able to get home on Sunday but not until late in the day. I think the tug picked us up about 4 and I know I was able to buy the LAST bottle of booze before they shut the register :D at around 3:48.

Don't worry too much, state of emergencies do not mean you cannot be on the road. Mandatory evacuations, if issued, mean that if you call 911 you might not get a response in a timely manner.

You should be fine to get on board and out to sea. We went through Hurricane Noel TWICE... yes we hit it on the way down but it really took a shine to Explorer so he hung around until we headed north again. At one point, the captain came on and announced that there was a chance we'd have to head east to Bermuda and if that was the case we would not get back until Tuesday. He did a great job and we were able to get home on Sunday but not until late in the day. I think the tug picked us up about 4 and I know I was able to buy the LAST bottle of booze before they shut the register :D at around 3:48.

Don't worry too much, state of emergencies do not mean you cannot be on the road. Mandatory evacuations, if issued, mean that if you call 911 you might not get a response in a timely manner.

Haha.....I was on that cruise too - the only cruise I have been on ever affected by a hurricane AND guess which ship I'm sailing on tomorrow??? lol

ENJOY the ride....its all part of being on a cruise ship. Don't ruin your vacation before it starts. Douglas, I want people like you around me on a ship going through a little bit of weather.Its like when you were young and waiting to go on a roller coaster..scary at first but loved it after it stopped. You guys will be fine!!

Haha.....I was on that cruise too - the only cruise I have been on ever affected by a hurricane AND guess which ship I'm sailing on tomorrow??? lol

I remember you :) we did the poker run. Unfortunately, Chris died two years ago so now all my cruising is done solo. I'm headed out Friday on Brilliance :D. I hope you enjoy your trip wherever it takes you!

~Stacy

ENJOY the ride....its all part of being on a cruise ship. Don't ruin your vacation before it starts. Douglas, I want people like you around me on a ship going through a little bit of weather.Its like when you were young and waiting to go on a roller coaster..scary at first but loved it after it stopped. You guys will be fine!!

We got the bonine ready!

I wish I was going on the cruise tomorrow; would be quite a thrill.

Hope everybody on the East Coast stays safe and doesn't incur too much hardship or damage from the storm.

Stay safe everyone. :)

Archived