GO SMiLE Tooth Whitening Treatment pros/cons?

Sass4

I'm not sure if this is true or not because I haven't had it done, but I have read that it's a bad idea because it can sometimes hurt. Someone said that it caused them so much pain that their cruise was ruined.

I'm not sure if this is true or not because I haven't had it done, but I have read that it's a bad idea because it can sometimes hurt. Someone said that it caused them so much pain that their cruise was ruined.

OH I hadnt even thought of that...forget it not worth a chance at ruining a cruise.

Thanks!

Of course this procedure makes money for the cruise line. However, you should do it at home in the care of your dentist.

The cruise line's procedure is very expensive for what it is. The practitioner is not necessarily licensed in the United States.

It is a procedure that can cause burning, pain, and dryness. Why go on vacation to purposefully experience this?

You can only eat clear foods or foods with white sauces for three days after having it done. Why go on a cruise only to spend the whole week eating broth, white chicken and vanilla ice cream?

Once you leave the cruise, you have no recourse in case of follow-up, potential infection, etc. Despite the promotion and advertising by the cruise line, you really would be safer doing this at home.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

My wife suckered me into it about a year ago. She wanted to do it, but not alone, so I went with her. It wasn't a big deal, no burning, no pain, nothing. The only pain actually was to my wallet, I think it was around $400 if I recall.

I'm a huge coffee drinker so yes mine looked better for a bit, her's were already white so not as much difference. It didn't last long so you had to buy their maintenance kit to continue the treatment yourself.

Ive had just as much success using less costly, over the counter whitening products.

Bottom line in my opinion...SAVE YOUR MONEY and do that elsewhere. have a great trip.

Do NOT do this on a ship! Get some Crest Whitestrips and use them prior to the cruise! Or, pay more and have your dentist do it.

Tooth whitening can cause EXTREME sensitivity.....you don't want that to happen on vacation!

I've used Crest Whitestrips and my dentist is always commenting how white my teeth are!

Try the OTC method before you pay out big bucks for dubious results! And, remember that crowns/caps and other "fake" teeth will NOT whiten, no matter what you do!

• 11 months later...

I'm a Dental Hygienist and the Go Smile product is an OTC product that you could do at home. And as with any whitening product it can cause sensitivity. You would be much better off to try the Crest strips and get the same results for less money.

We do a take home whitening system for our patients that is more expensive than the white strips but it is a more long lasting effect and it is a stronger product than what you can buy OTC.

My daughter wanted to have her dentist whiten her teeth. He said to use crest white strips. But he also said for two weeks prior to use sensadine (sp??) tooth paste and to continue to use during and after (for about two weeks). I wouldn't waste time or money doing that on a cruise.

Kathy

How long does it last? Does it really work?

Looking for opinions before I book it.

no way in hell would I let anybody but my regular dentist near my teeth for anything.

furthermore your teeth are sensitive for several days and you have to avoid things that can stain like coffee and wine. neither of which I am willing to give up on vacation.

I used GO smile before and the first time I filled instruction of not drinking OJ etc etc and it worked. Yes my teeth were sensitive for a while but I wanted to have a great smile

Second time that I used I really didn't follow instruction of post treatment and my guns were really in pain and super sensitive. I do recommend GO smile treatment but not onboard a cruise specially when there is so much food

I usually do a home treatment from GO smile after I take a cruise but recently I'm doing it at a dental office ( no more go smile)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

DH got this done when the spa ran a special on it. They 'forgot' to tell him beforehand that it would only last 2 months and he had to buy additional products to use at home to keep it white.

If they had been upfront about this he probably wouldn't have minded, but the duplicity makes me wary of using the spas again. It's not the first time the spa staff have been less than honest with us about the cost of things.

My sister and BIL were on a cruise with friends. My BIL was going to do this but their friend did it and it was painful. BIL said friend had pain for about 48 hours. Their dentist says it sucks all the moisture out of your teeth. BIL said he was so glad he didn't do it!

• 10 months later...
How long does it last? Does it really work?

Looking for opinions before I book it.

Imho why do this on vacation.Have your dentist do it when you are home.I just dont get it.Honestly dont even see why its offered on a cruise.Sorry,not the answer you were looking for but.......

On edit,I see you decided not to.Good choice.

Edited by rtazz17