Mushrooms for the Chef???

QShip

We will be going to Alaska this summer and plan to hike around some of the ports. We are avid mushroom hunters and would hope to find something along the way. (We have done this for some time and are confident in those we can identify as edible.)

Does anyone know if the Chef will allow us to bring mushrooms back and have them prepared for our meal? Maybe if we are signed up for a Chef's Table? Do they ever allow one to bring food (fish, game, etc.) onto the ship to be prepared for personal consumption?

We would be happy to share, but would be really surprised if the ship would do that, primarily for potential liability problems.

We will be going to Alaska this summer and plan to hike around some of the ports. We are avid mushroom hunters and would hope to find something along the way. (We have done this for some time and are confident in those we can identify as edible.)

Does anyone know if the Chef will allow us to bring mushrooms back and have them prepared for our meal? Maybe if we are signed up for a Chef's Table? Do they ever allow one to bring food (fish, game, etc.) onto the ship to be prepared for personal consumption?

We would be happy to share, but would be really surprised if the ship would do that, primarily for potential liability problems.

I think you just answered your own question! I have to say however that you have asked a completely original question! I've never seen that one before!:D

I sincerely doubt they would allow you to either bring them on board or prepare them for a meal. Several years ago though, we went to Alaska on Celebrity and my mom went on a salmon fishing excursion. She was on board with three men on the excursion. She was the only one to catch a salmon, and a rather nice sized one as well. This was a ship excursion. They filleted the fish and gave enough to the chef to prepare for us that night for dinner. They smoked the remainder and shipped to her home in small packets. It was fabulous! I don't know if they would still do this. Also, other than pulling the fish in she never was allowed to handle it directly.

There are excursions in which the chef takes some foodie-types shopping at local markets, so there is always the possibility that you could pique the executive chef's interest enough to go on an expedition with him!

As others have said, you have nothing to lose by asking and yes, I agree this is the most original question I've seen posted on CC in a long, long time!

Since this is an Alaska cruise, the ship will be following USPH regulations with regards to food safety (and everything else onboard). USPH requires that all food brought onboard and served be from "verified" sources, which your mushroom hunting would not qualify as.

The salmon fishing excursion mentioned is an exception, as this was a ship sponsored excursion, as noted. Therefore, the cruise line insures that their excursion provider meets USPH requirements for food source and handling until it gets delivered to the ship. If you were to book a salmon fishing excursion on your own, you would not be allowed to bring the fish onboard or have the galley prepare it.

Let's turn this around. Someone you don't know comes to your home and says he's confident that the mushrooms he has brought are ok to eat. Would you serve them?

There's no mushroom hunter's certification you can show the Chef. He has only your word that you know what you are doing. I would be shocked if your mushrooms wouldn't immediately wind up in the trash.

I would be amazed (and disappointed) if there was not a chef onboard who could not recognize common edible mushrooms like morels or king boletes.

While I agree the Chef might recognize them, I would be equally amazed if they actually prepared them for you.

Good luck, and please report back what happens.

Mike

I will try it and let everyone know. Won't need to worry about the puppies, will be very open about it when I go aboard ship. Will also discuss with Chef before.

Now the large problem: Finding the darned things!

Whether or not the chef would prepare the mushrooms may not be the question. I'd be surprised if you would even be allowed to bring them on the ship. Typically fresh vegetables, fruits, and flowers can't be brought on or off the ship due to pest concerns. Norwegian (as well as every other line) specifically bans bringing unsealed food items on the ship. Good luck, but I wouldn't spend the time and effort collecting anything that you'd be upset about them not allowing you to bring on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There will be no reason to be upset. It is just an interesting adventure, that is all.

If they will not let me on with them I am sure there will be someone around the dock that would be happy to take them off my hands!