Power Strips

navybaby1113

Does Carnival still allow power strips that are in good working condition to brought on board? It's been a while since we sailed and want to make sure mine's not going to be confiscated. Thanks!

As long as it doesn't have a surge protector. I've been using a basic three plug deal I got at the dollar store for six cruises.

I've brought this onto every single carnival cruise I have been on with no problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-Surge-Protector-Charger/dp/B0015DYMVO

This is the exact same thing we have. I think I bought it after it was recommended here. We've never had a problem with it on cruises or any time we travel.

While these frequently do make it through security, these are surge protected, and are not allowed. Whether or not you get it past security, know that even if your Belkin surge protector is in perfect condition, and operating normally, and you are present when it is in use, that an accidental ground anywhere else on the ship, outside of your control, can cause the semi-conductors in the surge protector to go into thermal run-away and cause a fire very quickly. Also, the more times the surge protector is subjected to shipboard wiring (possibility of reverse voltage on the semi-conductors), the quicker the semi-conductors will fail, even in their normal mode, and fail to protect your electronics.

Further, know that none of the ship's electronics, from the POS registers, to the computer servers, to the myriad desktop computers, to the navigation equipment, to the engine room automation that keeps the lights lit and the propellers turning, are protected by surge protectors, as they are not needed. Ships do not experience the voltage surges that affect homes and businesses ashore.

While these frequently do make it through security, these are surge protected, and are not allowed. Whether or not you get it past security, know that even if your Belkin surge protector is in perfect condition, and operating normally, and you are present when it is in use, that an accidental ground anywhere else on the ship, outside of your control, can cause the semi-conductors in the surge protector to go into thermal run-away and cause a fire very quickly. Also, the more times the surge protector is subjected to shipboard wiring (possibility of reverse voltage on the semi-conductors), the quicker the semi-conductors will fail, even in their normal mode, and fail to protect your electronics.

Further, know that none of the ship's electronics, from the POS registers, to the computer servers, to the myriad desktop computers, to the navigation equipment, to the engine room automation that keeps the lights lit and the propellers turning, are protected by surge protectors, as they are not needed. Ships do not experience the voltage surges that affect homes and businesses ashore.

Also even if they use American three prong plugs. The ground plug isn't used on a ship. Surge protectors require the third plug to work properly.

I've brought this onto every single carnival cruise I have been on with no problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-Surge-Protector-Charger/dp/B0015DYMVO

This is the exact same thing we have. I think I bought it after it was recommended here. We've never had a problem with it on cruises or any time we travel.

Please don't use those. Surge protectors are not allowed. See chengkp75s explanations. There are also lots of threads on this. In one of them, a poster had a surge protector start to catch fire and luckily they were in the cabin when it happened. Just don't do it. There are plenty of other safe alternatives.

I'm not going to get into an argument in a ship's wiring with you but it's fool hardy to think that everything on a ship is one giant circuit, your house has many circuits, one would think a sophisticated cruise ship is a giant serial circuit? :confused:

I'm not going to get into an argument in a ship's wiring with you but it's fool hardy to think that everything on a ship is one giant circuit, your house has many circuits, one would think a sophisticated cruise ship is a giant serial circuit? :confused:

He has EXTENSIVE knowledge about shipboard operations as he is an engineer aboard ships and has been so for many years. Go ahead and look at his posts. They are extremely informative and knowledgable and you can take his information to the bank. There is a reason why cruise ships have BANNED surge protectors. And that reason is because they are FIRE HAZARDS. No other reason.

You really should not use those as they are surge protected and technically "not allowed". I have one of those also, but initially was not are they are not permitted, even though, well, you know, security never stopped me from brining them onboard. But, once I knew they were a hazard, I dropped them like a bad habit, well maybe not a bad habit, some of those are hard to drop, maybe like a hot potato....well maybe not that either cause I'd probably use oven mitts to pick up a hot potato.....I stopped using them after knowing they are not permitted and now use compact power strips.

I don't bring them but I DO have an extension chord on my blow dryer. I also bring an alarm clock. So the clock can stay plugged, then when I am using my dryer, I can plug in my curling iron on one of the outlets of the extension chord. I have never had a problem, but I'm wondering if this is forbidden also. And FWIW, I only have the extension chord plugged in for about 20 minutes/day, not "permanently."

I don't bring them but I DO have an extension chord on my blow dryer. I also bring an alarm clock. So the clock can stay plugged, then when I am using my dryer, I can plug in my curling iron on one of the outlets of the extension chord. I have never had a problem, but I'm wondering if this is forbidden also. And FWIW, I only have the extension chord plugged in for about 20 minutes/day, not "permanently."

Extension cords are fine. It's the surge protection that is an issue. So as long it doesn't have that, you're good to go.

Also even if they use American three prong plugs. The ground plug isn't used on a ship. Surge protectors require the third plug to work properly.

Nope. The ground plug is used on ships, it just is not connected to the neutral like in your home or office.

No, not everything on the ship is a single circuit. However, unlike in your home or office, the ground is not connected to the "neutral" (there is no neutral on ships), so the two "hot" conductors are at a different voltage from the ground. This is to prevent stray current from running through the ground on the ship (which is the ship's hull), and causing electrolysis to the hull and piping (called a "floating" ground). Ships use meters to detect when equipment goes to ground, which you cannot do with a grounded neutral. So, while the two hot conductors may be on completely different circuits, the ground is common, so if equipment on one circuit goes to ground, it places a voltage on the ground, which due to the alternating current and the three phase power will oscillate above and below the voltage in the hot conductors in the surge protector. When the voltage in the ground is above the voltage in the hot wire, this "reverse voltage" is detrimental to the MOV semi-conductors in the surge protector (and they are not designed for reverse voltage, since you would never experience this with a grounded neutral circuit like shore based), and can cause the MOV's to go into thermal run-away.

If you want a couple of examples of fires caused by surge protectors, that were caused by ground faults on different circuits than the surge protector, here is the USCG Safety Notice regarding use of surge protected devices on ships:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjQhrOz57HWAhVLzVQKHSlcD34QFggmMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uscg.mil%2Ftvncoe%2FDocuments%2Fsafetyalerts%2FSurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEPXVHLCc4iP8x_ha6tGKkxy6aCQw

I have used this on my last few cruises. It is a Power Cube and available on Amazon both with and without surge. There are four outlets (but you can't get to the one on the bottom on this ship) and two USB ports. My sister adds a double USB to ont of the outlets, so we have four. I have found the only thing we have that needs an outlet is my computer.

enhance

Edited by Essiesmom

Well I guess you got schooled Lol! I didn't understand half if what he posted up there but sure sounds like he knows what he is talking about huh?:evilsmile:

For people in the real world who understand plain English, and without huge budgets: I've found you can buy power strips very reasonably priced, that look very similar to surge protector strips, but that are only power strips and not surge protector strips, around Christmas-time at big box stores. Just shop the Christmas tree section and be satisfied they're green in color. :) Otherwise, you could spend hours surfing Amazon to find a power strip that doesn't include surge protection.

As long as it doesn't have a surge protector. I've been using a basic three plug deal I got at the dollar store for six cruises.

Oh good, I got one at the dollar store that I'm hoping I can use. If not, I'm only out $1.

I'm not going to get into an argument in a ship's wiring with you :confused:

Not flaming you, but after seeing many posts by that particular member, my first though was, "you may disagree, but it sure won't be much of an argument."

And, just to add something to the discussion. I use something similar to the following. Looks pretty low-tech to me, and for less than $4.00, I am assuming surge-protectors aren't in the design.

Hopefully, it is acceptable.

7544.Jpg