Cell phones on Royal Princess

LindaMc

Hello! I just recently got my first smartphone (Iphone with T-Mobile service). With regards to using it while we are on our trip, I looked at posts on cc, and just want to make sure I've got this right, to avoid cellular at sea charges.

All I have to do is put the phone in airplane mode while on the ship and that will prevent any unwanted roaming charges, etc. Or do I have to change any settings on my phone as well?

Thank you!

Linda

Hello! I just recently got my first smartphone (Iphone with T-Mobile service). With regards to using it while we are on our trip, I looked at posts on cc, and just want to make sure I've got this right, to avoid cellular at sea charges.

All I have to do is put the phone in airplane mode while on the ship and that will prevent any unwanted roaming charges, etc. Or do I have to change any settings on my phone as well?

Thank you!

Linda

You do not have to put your phone into airplane mode and doing so makes it impossible to receive texts or calls. All you have to do is go to Settings, find data usage (or similar), then find mobile data and take the disable option. That will stop your phone searching for data and updating apps etc which is what leads to the large bills. If your phone is just on and connected to any network, including Cellular at Sea, it costs nothing unless you take a call or make one or send a text.

Sure, if you make or receive a call it costs, and for me Cellular at Sea is $6.00 per minute, however if you just want to be available to receive an occasional call or texts then the costs are nil if you don't use it. If I get a call and I don't recognise the number then I just don't answer. I use texts a bit to keep a check on things at home and these might cost 60 cents but at least people can get me if they need to.

I think most people do the airplane mode thing as it is easier than switching off mobile data but it isn't that difficult. It's easy: Settings>data>mobile data (and take the switch off or disable option. Your phone might vary in the wording after the Settings option but most are simi

Sure, if you make or receive a call it costs, and for me Cellular at Sea is $6.00 per minute, however if you just want to be available to receive an occasional call or texts then the costs are nil if you don't use it. If I get a call and I don't recognise the number then I just don't answer.

I can just about guarantee that in a week I get five to ten spam calls on my cell phone. Not answering does not mean you won't end up paying roaming charges. In some cases (and from what I've read, it depends on the roaming carrier), letting a call go to voicemail (which is what happens when you don't answer) will get you charged twice - once for routing the call to your phone while roaming and then a second charge for it being routed back to your home carrier's voice mail system. I have no desire to pay $12 ($6/minute is my cruise ship roaming rate as well) to ignore some spammer.

If you want to make sure there are no roaming charges while on the ship, then put it in airplane mode.

Thank you everyone. I will have my phone in airplane mode while we are on the ship. There are very few sea days, so while we are at our many stops, I will have my phone on to receive texts and get any messages. Then will just remember to switch it back when we get back to the ship. Thanks again....I appreciate the info.

We do as Pam does. Airplane mode and then enable WiFi. Many people don't know how to simply disable data but do know how to turn WiFi on and off so that is the easiest way to tell people to be able to use Princess@Sea while not worrying about data usage.

If you put your phone in to airplane mode you might as well turn it off and put it in the safe, unless you use it for Princess@sea. As far as spammers go, the minute your phone goes to voicemail they hang up so no real charges there. But each to their own I guess. Fear of the unknown rules in most cases.

I can just about guarantee that in a week I get five to ten spam calls on my cell phone. Not answering does not mean you won't end up paying roaming charges. In some cases (and from what I've read, it depends on the roaming carrier), letting a call go to voicemail (which is what happens when you don't answer) will get you charged twice - once for routing the call to your phone while roaming and then a second charge for it being routed back to your home carrier's voice mail system. I have no desire to pay $12 ($6/minute is my cruise ship roaming rate as well) to ignore some spammer.

If you want to make sure there are no roaming charges while on the ship, then put it in airplane mode.

I am pretty sure you can disable the phone's ability to roam. And airplane mode is still the easy answer - for me, I have to stay connected for work so I will use Princess@sea while on the ship, then I'll connect to my carrier (Verizon) while out in port. Verizon's travel pass is only $10/24 hour period (check availability).

I am pretty sure you can disable the phone's ability to roam. And airplane mode is still the easy answer - for me, I have to stay connected for work so I will use Princess@sea while on the ship, then I'll connect to my carrier (Verizon) while out in port. Verizon's travel pass is only $10/24 hour period (check availability).

On my android phone, it's Settings - Wireless & Networks - More - Cellular Networks - Data Roaming. Then just toggle the data roaming button off.

Yes, I thought of turning it off too and putting it in the safe. Will likely use it for some photos while on board though, so that's why I wanted to make sure that airplane mode would be useful during the times I have my phone on, while on board.

Hey, that's what I do. It works great. :p

Yep and for some putting the phone in the safe is the best for them. My response was just for those who may need/want to be contactable and putting your phone in flight mode does not allow contact. There is so much misinformation around about costs when simply disabling data roaming will solve the problem of unexpected large bills. Of course if you are on a pre paid arrangement, rather than a plan, with your Telco provider you are only liable for costs to the extent of your prepaid credit.

I have a smart samsung phone. Put the phone in airplane mode when the ship leaves the port. Then go to settings and turn on WiFi. You will see the ship WiFi come up so connect to it. Use your browser to access Princess@Sea (no charge) and set up an account with your folio number, name etc. Now you can use Princess@Sea with your smart phone to see your folio at any time (charges show up instantaneous), see the events of the day, locations on the ship, order breakfast in your stateroom before morning etc. It really is very nice.

We also put our phones in airplane mode, then put it in the safe. I used to think I'd use it to take photos, but I prefer to disconnect from the world on vacation. Princess at Sea also sounds like a great idea, but it's a hassle for us. The kids don't carry phones with them, and neither do mom and dad. Sure I'll send a few What's apps in port to family, but for the most part, the phone goes unused on cruises.

My mom had a minor freak out attack when she forgot to turn back to airplane mode on a cruise. We worried about the $100's cell phone bill, but she claims it wasn't too terrible.

As far as spammers go, the minute your phone goes to voicemail they hang up so no real charges there.

Not the spam calls I get. If a human is calling, maybe they hang up. But most spam calls I get are recordings with a long message followed by asking to press "1" if wanting more information. The recording being played does not know a person is not listening and thus does not cut out when going to voice mail.

Not the spam calls I get. If a human is calling, maybe they hang up. But most spam calls I get are recordings with a long message followed by asking to press "1" if wanting more information. The recording being played does not know a person is not listening and thus does not cut out when going to voice mail.

That's a pain then. I haven't had any of those types of spam calls yet and fortunately most of ours come through the landline. I'm lucky to date that my mobile phone tends to get spam messages but not calls. As an aside, a phone in flight mode then takes any caller straight to your voicemail so does that result in any charges if people leave messages while you are away? I don't know the answer there.

Like anything, I guess people have to make their own choices based on what calls etc they do or do not get. But as I said earlier if people want/need to be available, a phone on flight mode is no use.

I have a smart samsung phone. Put the phone in airplane mode when the ship leaves the port. Then go to settings and turn on WiFi. You will see the ship WiFi come up so connect to it. Use your browser to access Princess@Sea (no charge) and set up an account with your folio number, name etc. Now you can use Princess@Sea with your smart phone to see your folio at any time (charges show up instantaneous), see the events of the day, locations on the ship, order breakfast in your stateroom before morning etc. It really is very nice.

I could almost agree if they had an audible or vibrate option available to find the wife. :D Otherwise a piece of paper in your pocket is much easier to carry around without having to worry about losing it.

That's a pain then. I haven't had any of those types of spam calls yet and fortunately most of ours come through the landline. I'm lucky to date that my mobile phone tends to get spam messages but not calls. As an aside, a phone in flight mode then takes any caller straight to your voicemail so does that result in any charges if people leave messages while you are away? I don't know the answer there.

No, it does not. If your phone is off or in airplane mode, the cell network does not know it's on the ship so the call is not routed to the ship and then back to carrier's voice mail. Cell networks know in real-time where your phone is if it's on or know it's not on the network if it's off, in airplane mode, or in a "No Service" area and route the calls appropriately (if off, then directly to voice mail without any ringing).

Like anything, I guess people have to make their own choices based on what calls etc they do or do not get. But as I said earlier if people want/need to be available, a phone on flight mode is no use.

That's the best way to look at it. If you want or need to be reachable, then do what will minimize cost. If you don't, just put the phone away or put it in airplane mode (I do the latter as I do use the ship's intranet and will log onto Internet for checking email at times during the day).

I run my own small business and when I cruise, I tell my clients I won't be generally reachable but commit to checking email twice a day at sea and let them know when those will be as well as when I'll have better reachability in port (subject to ship's Internet working and itinerary changes). On a TA last year, I managed to deal with a problem that needed immediate solving all by email and text (no voice) all while having a pub lunch in Cork.

We use T-Mobile which is great in foreign ports ($0.20/minute voice (no additional charge in Canada and Mexico) with no additional charges for text or data) but is on the upper end for voice calls on the ship (the $6/minute mentioned earlier).