General Dining question

We are considering booking a cruise with Regent.

I'm looking for an explanation of how the various restaurants work onboard RSSC. The website says, "Dine whenever, wherever and with whomever you choose in any of our open-seating restaurants. Simply request a table when the mood strikes and the maître d' will happily seat your party." Then I read the description of each restaurant, I think all but one say to make a reservation. So, I'm confused. I came here and found a number of threads about how many times reservations can be made and when they can be made according to cabin type.

We are looking for an easy experience without too much advance planning or jockeying for a table. We often, but not always prefer to eat alone. Our experience is with smaller ships and we are a bit concerned about the number of people trying to get tables at certain times and places. What can we expect on say, a 11-14 day cruise as far as dinner dining options go, assuming we would book a basic stateroom?

In compass rose and sette marie restaurants, no reservations are made, just turn up, you will be asked share or not. You may have to wait at peak times, but relax have a drink and they will find you when table ready. Most waits are 10 mins or so.

Speciality restaurants, one prebooking per restaurant guaranteed, you can book these online if you want before you board. If you want additional reservations, then either try in advance at the reservation desk or turn up and ask. Generally you will get more sittings particularly if you will share

First, welcome to the Regent board!

With the exception of Regent's Explorer, you can dine in two restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner plus the pool bar restaurant is open for breakfast and lunch - anytime during the hours they are open. In terms of tables, it is first come, first served. The only time there is usually a line is during the most popular times in the evening. We tend dine on the early side (6:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.) and never have difficulty getting a table. You can get a table just for yourselves or your group or decide to sit at a larger table and get to meet new people that also want to dine with others.

In terms of seating, there is no difference in whether you are staying in a top suite or the lowest category seat. Tables cannot be reserved (with the exception of someone that is disabled and needs a specific table to accommodate their disability).

Before getting onto the reservation restaurants, a word about the Explorer. She is the newest Regent ship and the only one where two specialty restaurants may be available for lunch. I use the term "may" because on port days one is closed and the next day the other one is. On sea days, both of them are open. No reservations needed for lunch and the main dining room is closed.

Reservations are needed for the two specialty restaurants for dinner (only one specialty restaurant on Navigator and three specialty restaurants on Explorer). This is where there is a difference between those in a concierge and above suite vs. the lower suites. Passengers in concierge and above suites can book dining reservations 75 days in advance of their cruise while everyone else can book dining reservations 90 days in advance. While it is always best to book advance, you can get a reservation once onboard if you are flexible with the time and table sizes (note: when you book reservations, you select a time and table size).

This may be sounding more complicated than it is. We enjoy Compass Rose (the MDR) as they have everyday choices that are wonderful -- lobster tail, rack of lamb, filet mignon, etc.). While the specialty restaurants are nice, many times we prefer to dine in CR or La Veranda/Sette Mari (buffet for breakfast or lunch and Italian for dinner)

It is all quite easy and relaxed. Your specialty reservations are booked in advance and with the exception of those nights, you can dine at the time and at a table size that suits you for that day.

Note: The only time there is a rush to get tables is the 2nd night (the night of the Captain's Reception) and the 2nd to the last night (the night of the Captain's Farewell). These events end between 6:30 and 7:00 p.m. and everyone seems to rush to dinner after that.

Note: The only time there is a rush to get tables is the 2nd night (the night of the Captain's Reception) and the 2nd to the last night (the night of the Captain's Farewell). These events end between 6:30 and 7:00 p.m. and everyone seems to rush to dinner after that.

Jackie, on our last 2 cruises, on the Explorer and on the Voyager, on both of these nights, we walked into Compass Rose at 7:30, and had absolutely no problem getting a table for 2. There seemed to be plenty of availability. So perhaps this trend is changing?

Bob

Jackie, on our last 2 cruises, on the Explorer and on the Voyager, on both of these nights, we walked into Compass Rose at 7:30, and had absolutely no problem getting a table for 2. There seemed to be plenty of availability. So perhaps this trend is changing?

Bob

We had the same experience on Voyager. We got there at 7:40 and I mentioned to hubby we might have a wait but we’ll just sip cocktails until our turn. We had no wait whatsoever. We never waited more than two minutes for our hostess to come and seat us. One night we decided to go early around 6:45 and I’m not joking, we were the first ones in Compass Rose. Each night we were seated at a Table for 2 by the window, except one night we were seated in the middle section near the big chandelier.

Bob

It would be great if that trend is changing. Thank you for your input!

Not to loose sight of the trees from the forest: As noted above, things tend to sort themselves out with little hassle once onboard. We have never had a problem being seated at a table for two either immediately, or within a few minutes when on Voyager, Navigator, or Mariner. Once in a while--aboard Explorer--advised those at the desk of our table preference; then repaired to the nearby lounge for a cocktail. We were summoned to the NDR within 10 minutes.

Also, simply refer to "Passages"--the daily hardcopy newsletter provided to each suite in the evening. This covers the next day's activities, and dining options. Helps to refresh the memory, in particular on Explorer on shore days.

GOARMY!

"Before getting onto the reservation restaurants, a word about the Explorer. She is the newest Regent ship and the only one where two specialty restaurants may be available for lunch. I use the term "may" because on port days one is closed and the next day the other one is. On sea days, both of them are open. No reservations needed for lunch and the main dining room is closed."

On our cruise in May it was 2 days on, ie Chartreuse was open 2 days, then Prime 7 was open 2 days.

Also new to Regent. My wife and I usually do "late seating" on other cruise lines, so around 8-8:30. If we decide to go to dinner around 8 or so, would we expect this to be the "crunch time?" Also, what are the hours that the dining rooms are open for dinner?

We usually go at that time. By then, the ‘first seating’ is usually leaving, and we find it relatively easy to get a window table without waiting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also new to Regent. My wife and I usually do "late seating" on other cruise lines, so around 8-8:30. If we decide to go to dinner around 8 or so, would we expect this to be the "crunch time?" Also, what are the hours that the dining rooms are open for dinner?
Here are the hours from my cruise last month on the Voyager. Note that the pool grill dinner hours are temporary, for the Voyager through the Mediterranean season only for now.

At 8-8:30, you are not likely to have a problem.

This may or not matter to you, but the evening shows are pretty consistently at 9:30, I know not everyone is a fan of them, but if you are, 8:30 would be a bit late.

Bob86d57cbb63d9ec2bf8d4dd147fc832e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We are also “Newbies” to Regent and will be on the Explorer October 17 out of Venice. It appears that the only restaurant open for breakfast is La Veranda. Is this correct? Seems strange that the MDR would not be serving breakfast.

We are also “Newbies” to Regent and will be on the Explorer October 17 out of Venice. It appears that the only restaurant open for breakfast is La Veranda. Is this correct? Seems strange that the MDR would not be serving breakfast.

The MDR, Compass Rose, is open for breakfast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you have the time to go to CR in the morning IMO it's a much more "civilized" experience. It is nearly empty, quiet but the service can be slow. La Veranda can be mobbed especially if there are a lot of early excursions. I have often had to circle and circle to find a table.

If you have the time to go to CR in the morning IMO it's a much more "civilized" experience. It is nearly empty, quiet but the service can be slow. La Veranda can be mobbed especially if there are a lot of early excursions. I have often had to circle and circle to find a table.

Agreed. We preferred Room Service over La Veranda. The Pool Grill is a nice alternative if you wish a lighter breakfast.

Different strokes. My wife and I almost always have breakfast in La Veranda. On the rare occasion that we don't easily find a table for 2, we just join another small party sitting at a larger table, no problem. We love the fact that you can order pretty much any hot dish that you would like, any kind of pancakes, omelettes, etc from your server, and it is brought to your table hot and fresh.

And just to complete the breakfast options, the Coffee Connection is nice for a quick morning bite, if you're in a hurry, or want something smaller.

Nice to have good choices!

Thank you. My DW and I will much prefer the quieter atmosphere of CR. We rarely want to be rushed and often prefer to skip the excursions and enjoy a quiet relaxing day on board. As a matter of fact, we will be more concerned about making it to breakfast while it’s still being served. What are the service hours in CR?

Agreed. We preferred Room Service over La Veranda. The Pool Grill is a nice alternative if you wish a lighter breakfast.

Thank you! Room service is a good possibility. We will be in a Cat D concierge suite. Will that accommodate room service comfortably?

Thank you! Room service is a good possibility. We will be in a Cat D concierge suite. Will that accommodate room service comfortably?

Absolutely. There is no difference in Room Service (or any other service) between suite categories. The beauty of luxury cruising is that everyone is treated the same.