Do Bunk beds have rails on outside?

KNITWITS

We're taking our grandkids and they'll be in the upper bunks and I was wondering about rails. They tend to be restless sleepers and wouldn't want them to fall out. If the ship doesn't have rails has anyone found reasonable priced portable rails we could take?

Thanks

I think this will depend on how 'restless' they are... have they ever fallen out of bed before? If not, it's unlikely (in my opinion) that they will do so simply because they're further from the floor. Also, every upper berth I've ever seen on a cruise (including many I've slept in myself) has had a rail.

We used a "Safety First" portable bed rails for the last few years for my DD. She has been sleeping in the uppoers since she was 4.

The bed rails comes apart, so you can easily pack it in your suitcase. The drawback is you need to carry it off the ship, since the suitcases will be picked up from your cabin the night before you debark. Or, you can do like we did one time and leave it in the ship...accidentally. Oops!

CeleBrat

• 1 month later...

For extra assurance, we brought a pool noodle along (stuffed inside my suitcase). I tucked this in under the sheet and it kept dd from relying only on the rail to keep her in the bed. It served as a little "roll back over" reminder if she started to get too close.

I am completely worried about my three year old (who managed to fall out of the END of a bed with bed rails while we were on vacation this Summer). I did read on another thread around here that in most rooms, there is enough space to put the mattress on the floor, if need be. We will probably let my 5 year old sleep up high and put the mattress for my three year old on the ground.

Celebrat-- Did you use the saftey first rail in addition to the rail on the upper bunk? I'm thinking if we can make the entire side railed, and then put a mound of blankets at the end of the bed, my YDS might be ok. --Katie

• 2 years later...

I have seen photos posted of beach towels wrapped around the bedrail and tucked under the mattress.

Make sure the slidelocks are down on the rails covering the hinges. They are down in the first picture above but not in the second. Not too much to worry about because the rail folds INTO the bed.

• 3 years later...
Would anyone have a picture of the double bunks on the Allure of the Seas? My boys are 15 and 12. Just wondering how they will manage size wise.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Here is a picture from Allure. The sofa also converted to a bed but we had my 18 year old, 6 foot son sleep on the top so we could use the bottom while he slept.

e7Lw1k1BGvuwf5r-ch-4Dtgl-TsdeP4VHb3Ikbh4dHy8cAAx34vMW6T9eIsuUGUv-sishiJ5diTyx19O_6SNyd7VJOQ6yLu0Yn4ZNjoMAgs7f3cwkwzyVe2yrfjayg7SQL3iuBjNm2sxLayqNgq2vfYJON1pGTjb3AxstoG3cdDC6AnxBhLy1M7kcdwFu84Ir_7MxcCiEPC7T835hmJDcH7UWzZUHs_ljMdEdwq_T9OnrgRlHzw5GvejMetoWfe9H4bLoip2zB3nCiliSZlClHtKgJuHDzDV7mP3_An4ZWmoJPqsuZ0YGp7H3wfyNpusekxvQ-3glQ6EsfN3yduqlPuKe0YotKF6qTz6Wbn9TAevP-XH5ERBKWuWrxzbj4dMepmHuyUAfd9v4NaFl0qf8L6l8ZbIeXmlSInczu4EWbJS5yiaHlPFJhkEIq1JuduyX8gXYD2AwtU7ETR72J0rOdB_Dfg8Gp7SRfSkqK480vPxTJcOQEvNY38iXW61ZTZFU1gjKDEeGpeTGQFj4Dy2KKJTQrMCulhSftwxBZO-vZTjI2G7z-v4-3YtSQTD9iP3N8_T=w808-h606-no

Edited by akcruz

I'm sure we are a minority but I wanted to share. Our five year old is very small and petite, but slept in the upper bunk the first part of our cruise on the Fascination. She was so excited to do so. The first two nights went fine, but the third night she kept getting her body halfway under that rail and I would slide her back as far to the wall as I could. Once we were all asleep, we woke to a loud THUMP and she had indeed slid under that rail and straight to the floor. It's quite a drop for a little one. Luckily, she was okay, but I truly think she could have really gotten hurt. Also to note, she has never had a rail at all at home and has never fallen out of her twin size bed. I don't know if she was restless or if the rocking boat contributed that night, but it was still kind of a scary moment.

Ironically when I booked our Cruise, the booking agent mentioned the pull down bunk and I was hesitant and he assured me she would be fine, kids sleep there all the time, etc. And luckily our cabin steward was able to come and make her a cot type bed, which I wish I had known was an option from the beginning. She wasn't as excited to sleep on this version but I wouldn't have gotten any rest with her back up on that upper bunk that week. I wish I had thought of the pool noodle or beach towel ideas mentioned above!

I think these beds are perfectly fine usually, but I did want to share that it is possible to get through the rail if you are on the small side.

Here is a picture from Allure. The sofa also converted to a bed but we had my 18 year old, 6 foot son sleep on the top so we could use the bottom while he slept.

Great photo. We'll be on the Allure with pull out sofa and the pullman as iour picture. Do you think a 6.5 year old would be ok in it ? (Our 10.5 year old probably has no interest in top bunk).

• 1 month later...
I have seen photos posted of beach towels wrapped around the bedrail and tucked under the mattress.

Make sure the slidelocks are down on the rails covering the hinges. They are down in the first picture above but not in the second. Not too much to worry about because the rail folds INTO the bed.

SadieN can you share these pics? I'm trying to visualize this concept.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add our current experience to upper bunks. We're on the Serenade of the Seas (RCCL) and we planned on our dd sleeping in the upper bunk for the first time. She'll be five in a couple of weeks but the cabin steward said he couldn't bring down the bunks for anyone under 6. So he said she could sleep with us. There is a small couch but it doesn't pull out into anything. We asked if he could make that up for her to sleep on. He's been very accommodating and puts a mat and sheet over the bed each night, placing the back cushions on the floor in front in case she rolled off. He said he could turn it around but I thought that was a lot of work that wasn't necessary. So, if you're planning on a bunk for a younger kid, it may or may not happen.

Just wanted to add our current experience to upper bunks. We're on the Serenade of the Seas (RCCL) and we planned on our dd sleeping in the upper bunk for the first time. She'll be five in a couple of weeks but the cabin steward said he couldn't bring down the bunks for anyone under 6. So he said she could sleep with us. There is a small couch but it doesn't pull out into anything. We asked if he could make that up for her to sleep on. He's been very accommodating and puts a mat and sheet over the bed each night, placing the back cushions on the floor in front in case she rolled off. He said he could turn it around but I thought that was a lot of work that wasn't necessary. So, if you're planning on a bunk for a younger kid, it may or may not happen.

RCCL does have a rule that kids must be at least 6 to use a bunk. Of course, a TA will tell you no problem. One of the adults could always sleep up there.