Dentist on board?

Trainman52

While virtually all ships now carry a doctor on board, does anyone know of a ship that carries a dentist? We recently completed a 13 day cruise during which I cracked a tooth. The purser's office sent me to the doctor who of course said "I can't do anything, why did they send you to me?", duh. I ultimately decided to wait until I returned home to see my own dentist.

With the increasing number of mega-ships out there with their huge passenger load and crew size, one would think that a dentist would start to become a necessity if only to provide routine dental care for the crew.

Just one man's thoughts.

Bon Voyage

You can buy dental repair kits that will allow you to make a temporary repair. While I doubt it would have done much for a cracked tooth, I know it made a huge difference for my mother on her recent cruise. She lost a crown which was on one of her front teeth. She was able to use the adhesive that was in the kit to fix the tooth until she was able to get to her dentist at home.

While virtually all ships now carry a doctor on board, does anyone know of a ship that carries a dentist? We recently completed a 13 day cruise during which I cracked a tooth. The purser's office sent me to the doctor who of course said "I can't do anything, why did they send you to me?", duh. I ultimately decided to wait until I returned home to see my own dentist.

With the increasing number of mega-ships out there with their huge passenger load and crew size, one would think that a dentist would start to become a necessity if only to provide routine dental care for the crew.

Just one man's thoughts.

Bon Voyage

I think the ship Dr. can dispense prescriptions(??) If you were in a lot of pain, did he give you pain medication?

Did he charge you for the visit?

The ship did recommend dentists in port. The issues are that in some of these islands you don't have that much time and secondly their level of expertise may not be what you have come to expect at home. I was not in pain and the doctor did not charge me for a visit considering he only turned me around and pointed me toward the door. I almost purchased one of the repair kits before we left, but my wife thought that it was a foolish idea. I will have one next time. My dentist tells me that wax or sugar-free chewing gum can also make an adequate temporary filling.

As I stated initially, just an interesting point to consider. With cruise ships becoming the equivalent of floating cities, perhaps they should have similar amenities. I can see it now, Dewey, Cheatham and Howe, you on board negligence attorneys. :D

Bon Voyage

The Queen Elizabeth 2 prior to being owned by Carnival carried a full time dentist. She also carried a physician and 2 registered nurses.

You have to remember that we paid a lot more for ship travel in those days compared to the prices now. Adjusted for inflation.

Personally I'd rather not see my fares go up to pay for a 24 hour dentist onboard. It is a rarity that someone has a dental problem. I'd just get the name of a reputable dentist from the ship, have them set up the appt for me while at port. IF it was an emergency. Now watch....I'll crack a tooth next month on the Solstice..:rolleyes:

Personally I'd rather not see my fares go up to pay for a 24 hour dentist onboard. It is a rarity that someone has a dental problem. I'd just get the name of a reputable dentist from the ship, have them set up the appt for me while at port. IF it was an emergency. Now watch....I'll crack a tooth next month on the Solstice..:rolleyes:

I broke a tooth a couple of days prior to the end of a 14 day cruise from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. I was able to get by while on the ship by being careful how I chewed and taking OTC painkillers, but I was in agony on the 12 hour flight home. My dentist explained that was due to airline cabins not being pressurized to sea level, but rather to some higher altitude.

Holland America has (or had) a dentist onboard at least some sailings, primarily for the crew (they deserve it), and to handle passenger emergencies.

http://www.perfectsmilesdentalcare.com/EssentialTravelTips.aspx

I think it's an excellent idea to have a dentist onboard, and I would not mind if my fare were increased somewhat to offer that service to crew and passengers.

When you start talking increased fares, it wouldn't (shouldn't) necessarily be that much when you consider the number of passengers they carry. Add $1 or $2 pp and they'll more than cover the cost of a dentist, assistant, and equipment. And, since it would be fee for service, it could possibly be a new income stream..................

When you start talking increased fares, it wouldn't (shouldn't) necessarily be that much when you consider the number of passengers they carry. Add $1 or $2 pp and they'll more than cover the cost of a dentist, assistant, and equipment. And, since it would be fee for service, it could possibly be a new income stream..................

I really don't see this happening. Yes, dental emergencies do happen but infrequently rather than the care that is needed by a doctor.

Keith

HAL used to have a dentist on board.

Now if you have a tooth problem, guest relations will make arrangements for you to see a dentist in the port. It is up to you to get there on your own and pay for everything.

My DH has quite a few crowns. We carry DenTemp just in case one of them should come loose or off.

HAL previously had a dentist on all their ships.

It didn't work out very well.

The crew saved up all their dental problems at home and had them taken care of onboard. But a dentist or doctor on a ship is rarely paid for treating crew. He only makes money when he treats a passenger. The dentists they hired couldn't make any money.

Then there was the problem with supplies. Although the dental filling supplies moved along very well, all the other required dental items were rarely used. When they were needed, it seemed that they were always out of date, could not be used for treatment, and had to be disposed of. Passengers often went away untreated and unhappy.

HAL did a survey on costs and discovered that they could arrange a dentist in most ports of call for a fraction of the costs of maintaining a dental office onboard.

The most important thing of course, was the officer cabin they could free up by not having a dentist onboard.

• 2 weeks later...
I really don't see this happening. Yes, dental emergencies do happen but infrequently rather than the care that is needed by a doctor.

For some people yes, for others, no. I think both dentists and doctors are important. Why skimp on either service? As I said, I would gladly pay a bit more (and even more than a bit) to have a trained dentist onboard, especially for longer voyages or voyages to countries where I might not want to have dental care off the ship.

For some people yes, for others, no. I think both dentists and doctors are important. Why skimp on either service? As I said, I would gladly pay a bit more (and even more than a bit) to have a trained dentist onboard, especially for longer voyages or voyages to countries where I might not want to have dental care off the ship.

I don't see it happening.

While you will pay more most won't in my humble opinion.

It is not just about having a dentist on board. There would be the facilities and assistant(s), etc.

Again, I don't see this happening.

Keith

If you're on a longer voyage to countries with which you're unfamiliar, it is YOUR choice whether or not to be treated onshore. Check out your trip insurance policy - if you even have it. ( BTW - Dentists ARE Doctors. ) What Board Certified Doctors/Dentists in your area would be willing to give up their practice to spend 9-12 months aboard a cruise ship for much less money? You would pay "a bit more" ?? How much is "a bit more"? Tell me what you think a "trained dentist" means. Sigh.

For the most part .... It means...... They have a licence to 'Drill, Fill, and generally rip off the un-suspecting general public' ;)

From ...someone ~ in the know !!

Wow! My Board Certified Dentist has her framed licenSe on the wall of her office, along with her diplomas. If she were not Board Certified, she would not be able to accept my dental insurance.

Archived