Trying to pin down what went wrong

DaveC426913

We stopped cruising NCL a while ago. We did not like the food either.

Recently our TA was saying NCL is trying real hard. Trying to encourage us to give them another chance.

I read the NCL boards, see they are very strict about searching folks for alcohol. They have free style cruising which we don't like either.

So no NCL for us. We are very happy with Princess, Celebrity and HAL. Trying out Cunard in 2011.

We cruised NCL ONCE that as enough to tell me we ae not meant for NCL

The food was subpar but then the price was cheap by other cruise lines

So talk with your wallet book elsewhere

Dave, I'm really sorry you did not enjoy the food on your cruise. However I don't think anyone here on CC will be able to tell you the cause...maybe the chef had a fight with his wife, maybe the person in charge of supplies wasn't doing a good job of purchasing, maybe the buffet manager lacked imagination in menu planning, maybe NCL needs to do a better job in the food department, ormaybe your personal standards are higher that the cruiseline can achieve????? There are probably dozens of reasons for your disappointment, just as there are dozens of cruisers on your sailing who found no fault with the food. We've sailed on NCL several times, and we prefer the food on Princess, however food isn't a deal breaker for us. I sugggest you try another cruise line in the future.

I really don't know why you're "trying to pin down what went wrong". It's pretty obvious: You don't like NCL's menus, or manner of food preparation. Maybe they've declined over the years, maybe it was just this one cruise, maybe your tastes have changed, but there really is no mystery here: You don't like NCL's manner of food preparation. So go elsewhere.

I think that you need to compare apples to apples here. Price wise you can compare Carnival to NCL. How can you possibly expect the same quality of fare included food on an NCL cruise compared to Princess, RC, Celebrity or HAL. I feel that your expectations and standards should go hand in hand with the price that you pay.

Dave

I can understand your frustration over the food. We have up Princess years ago because of their food.

What you didn't eat at dinner you found in the buffet the next day. And if it wasn;t eaten then, it was disguised as another dish at dinner.

Breakfasts were always cold. We too do not like cold eggs, stale bread, etc.

We were at a table for six and near the end of the cruise the dining room manager came over and asked how we had enjoyed the food on the cruise. We all gave our opinions about it. One lady even told the dining room that if she wanted leftovers every day she would have stayed home.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you posted this before reading my elaboration.

Why do you dismiss that? Should I expect bad food and service?

That is not an answer. OK, well, maybe it is. Are you saying that, in your judgment, the cruise line NCL is the cause of the problems we encountered?

That it is not due to some other possible cause? Perhaps all freestlying is like this. Perhaps cruises out of New York are different from cruises out of Florida. Perhaps N.Gem is plagued with trouble as opposed to other NCL ships.

This is what I'm trying to determine.

dave i agree with you 110%--- ncl has a lot to learn when it comes to getting repeat cruisers. my wife and i cruise alot and a friend told us to try ncl. what a big, big,big mistake. not only was the food really bad, but so was the service. never ever again. even if it was free including flight. try the other lines. ccl-rcl-holland- princess-celebrity, but stay away from ncl. i've been there and i totally agree with you dave.

...everyone that's ever traveled on a cruise knows that the Cruiseline's main objective is to get you to spend money on the ship. Their profit is actually made from on board purchases not from the cabin sales...
This is the same on every cruise line, and I have no complaint about it. I am on a cruise because I want to spend money.

I am happy to pay for quality.

My complaint is that they made a big deal about allowing us to book our table hours or days in advance, with interactive boards placed all over the ship that give us dynamic updates on the availability of the restaurants - ours was green: "plenty of seating". In fact, it was still green at our time of seating.

But then we get there and there's a 30-40 minute wait. I didn't twig to the manipulation until I saw that the buzzer we were carrying had the 2-for-1 offer at the nearest bar permanently emblazoned right on it - i.e this forced wait is not a hiccup in their process, this is standard procedure.

This may be the same on all Freestryle cruise, regardless of cruise line. I don't know. I'd like to find out. It would mean the difference between avoiding only Freestyle cruises versus avoiding only NCL cruises.

I think that you need to compare apples to apples here. Price wise you can compare Carnival to NCL. How can you possibly expect the same quality of fare included food on an NCL cruise compared to Princess, RC, Celebrity or HAL.

I feel that your expectations and standards should go hand in hand with the price that you pay.

As do I.

Princess was spectacular for a higher price. Carnival was spectacular for a lower price. NCL was way below Carnival in what we experienced.

I really don't know why you're "trying to pin down what went wrong". It's pretty obvious: You don't like NCL's menus, or manner of food preparation. Maybe they've declined over the years, maybe it was just this one cruise, maybe your tastes have changed, but there really is no mystery here: You don't like NCL's manner of food preparation. So go elsewhere.

OK, that's a third vote for NCL being the root cause.

That's what I'm trying to determine. I don't want to forego future NCL cruises if that's not the cause. Again, for all I know, all freestyle cruises on all lines - or all cruises out of New York - are like this. NCL out of Florida might be awesome.

Everyone has different levels of tolerance and satisfaction. I can definitely corroborate what others have said about NCL: they spend less on food per passenger than most other lines. A few years ago this may have been less obvious, but with ALL cruise lines continuing to creatively cut costs, perhaps it is becoming hard to hide.

Also, I have been on CC quite a while. I have read a lot of reviews. IMO (please note that I said 'opinion'), NCL's reviews in general are not as good as those for the other lines you mentioned (and several other lines as well).

So I think there is some evidence to suggest -- both objectively and subjectively -- that NCL is not for you. I came to that same conclusion based on my own experience and research. I have limited vacation time and there are plenty of other lines I've tried that I have really liked and would cruise with again.

I just read this thread for the first time and here is my take.

I believe you said that you had sailed on NCL previously and did not have these issues, is that correct? If so how long ago was your first NCL cruise? Was it also "freestyle"?

If your past NCL cruise was fairly recent and was "Freestyle" then I would hesitate to say that "NCL isn't for you". Perhaps it was just this ship, or the particular individuals in charge of food service aboard this ship on this sailing.

The reputation of the various cruise lines is that NCL is at the lower end of food quality. I haven't sailed NCL, so I don't have an opinion on that. But given the reputation for not having the greatest food and service, perhaps to avoid being dissapointed you should try some other lines before giving NCL another go.

As do I.

Princess was spectacular for a higher price. Carnival was spectacular for a lower price. NCL was way below Carnival in what we experienced.

Our Carnival and NCL experience was similar. Now you did say that you went on the Gem, we were on the Dawn. I did here from my sister that their experience with food and the whole dining thing was very much the same as yours. She went on the Dawn after I told her about our experience and by upgrading to the specialty dining rooms, using the money that she saved by getting an awesome deal on the cruise itself, they had a wonderful and budget minded cruise. They are once again going to try the Gem because of the itinerary and cost but they will eat the majority of their meals in the specialty restaurants.

hi Dave!

We took NCL 4 years ago to Bermuda. It was an older ship, but clean, and service, outside of the dining room was fine.

However, the food was beyond sub-standard (mac and cheese on the adult menu?!?!?), and the freestyle service was terrible. We never had a wait for a table, but if I had to ask one more person for a straw for my daughter, and then wait 10 minutes for it to arrive, or the same for marmalade a breakfast, I thought I would scream. While I expect to have to ask for things when there is a different server, the lack of actual service after the request was made was terrible.

For dining experience alone - food and service, we would never take NCL, and I am reluctant to take any "anytime dining" anywhere else as a result. Everything else was fine, but food and service can make or break a cruise for me, when I am locked in for a week.

Now you did say that you went on the Gem, we were on the Dawn.
My '08 Cruise through New England was on the Dawn. Had no complaints about that. I don't think it was Freestyle.

I can definitely corroborate what others have said about NCL: they spend less on food per passenger than most other lines.

The reputation of the various cruise lines is that NCL is at the lower end of food quality. I haven't sailed NCL, so I don't have an opinion on that. But given the reputation for not having the greatest food and service...

Thank you, this is independent corroborating information that helps me understand the root cause.

...if had to ask one more person for a straw for my daughter, and then wait 10 minutes for it to arrive, or the same for marmalade a breakfast, I thought I would scream.

These were the kinds of nit-picky things that were numerous but I thought too small to mention. I thought we'd become sensitized to poor service, so we tried to ignore them. But yeah, by the end of the cruise each little thing became one more straw as we began to realize it was an endemic problem.

You can say that as many times as you like, it does not apply here.

There are certainly elements of food that can be subjective, I am not disagreeing with that. If my complaint was too much pepper or not exotic enough selections, I'd agree you have a point.

Are you seriously saying that my examples of hot food being hot and bread not being stale are subjective?

OK, so in your judgement, are you advising me that the cruiseline is the root of the problems I encountered? It is not endemic of freestyling for example? It is not similar to other Caribbean cruises out of NY? It is not specific to the Gem? Not specific to cruises in February?

The ONLY thing I have advised you of is that if NCL is not up to your standards then you should stick with the cruise lines are are. I have not provided you with any other advise or analysis.

I'm trying to be objective. If it's the cruise line, I'll avoid that line in the future; but if it was something else, I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Well I read your thread...we sailed on NCL for the first time, May 2008, on the Dawn out of NYC. This was our 6th as a couple.

The food was unappealing as their presentation was really poor. Often times served cold or tepid at best. No fantastic gala midnight buffet as the other cruise company's offer, and are proud of (I realize these are not offered almost at all anymore but at the time, they were still being offered). And their eat "whenever" is a joke. Food service, except for room service and a place to get burgers and french fries, all close at 10pm. We had a very hard time making "reservations" at the various eateries. We'd try for a 7pm (contacting them at noon or earlier) and be told they were booked for the night, or that we could get a 9:30. Turns out the "secret" is making all your reservations at the onset of the trip. The "chocolate buffet" was a disaster. A good 75% of passengers (of 2200) lined up for the same 12 "treats" repeated over and over down the line. As noted, no special thing, and then no place to sit because they held it in the casual buffet area which can only hold so many people.

Additionally, my H uses an electric wheelchair...

Once, on shore in Bermuda, he was going back to the ship & couldn't get back on because with more than 30 minutes before setting sail, Norwegian had already brought in the wheelchair accessible gangway. He struggled with the workers to convince them to lower it so he could embark. When he spoke with the head of security (whom he was directed to), later that day, he was treated terribly and told he was "lucky to get back on"! What? That's their response? Really?

Our stewards were lovely, going above and beyond, but I have always found that when I cruise.

I'm put off by NCL and am going to try Celebrity (for an Alaskan itinerary) in May. I expect a wholly different experience.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the lowest score, Norwegian scored a 3 with us.

7th sailing on NCL coming up in december....sailed on 3 other lines previously my last 6 have been with NCL...maybe one night out of the 7 we arent happy with food selection but with all the "options" we ALWAYS find something to eat and NEVER go away hungry~~guess we have been one of the FORTUNATE ones not to have experience INEDIBLE FOOD....

We were on the same cruise as the OP and did not have the problems he is reporting.

The complaints about the same food being offered every day for breakfast and lunch particularly caught my eye.

First...yes the breakfast offerings are the same every day, but there are so many things to choose from I could have eaten something different every day for the week and not even come close to trying everything. What could someone possibly be looking for that wasn't available?

Second, the complaint that the same food was offered every day for lunch is flat out untrue. Yes, in the buffet there is a core selection of a large variety of typical lunch foods available every day...pizza, hot dogs, burgers, salads, cold cuts, cheeses, etc., but there is also a selection of hot dishes and soup that changes daily. Further, the main dining room was open for lunch daily, and had a different menu every day.

At every breakfast lunch and dinner we found more than a sufficient variety of food of more than adequate quality.

One of the best cruises we have been on was on NCL Crown in the late 90s, long before freestyle eating and cost-cutting food budgets. Good food well served every night. Chocolate buffet that was a pure work of art, I don't know how the had that many artists on board. Many treats of pure chocolate. 1500 pax must have taken 4000 pics of the buffet before it opened.

Last cruise on NCL (not last cruise), dining experience was extremely disappointing.:( with freestly "service?:confused:" a disaster. That's why it was our LAST cruise on NCL.

Poster above "nothing INEDIBLE" comment. I spent a year in college where the manager was skimming some money out of the food budget, and found you can choke down a lot of things if necessary. That was over 50 years ago and is a reason I worked hard later, to avoid having to do that again. There are cruise lines that have an acceptable quality of food. I'll go on one of them or stay home.

7th sailing on NCL coming up in december....sailed on 3 other lines previously my last 6 have been with NCL...maybe one night out of the 7 we arent happy with food selection but with all the "options" we ALWAYS find something to eat and NEVER go away hungry~~guess we have been one of the FORTUNATE ones not to have experience INEDIBLE FOOD....

I'm right there with you on this. I certainly don't doubt that others have experienced what they say they have experienced, but I just haven't. Ever. I have had a few dishes I didn't like and have just ordered something else, but never anything "sub-par." I guess I'm just lucky, and I'm grateful because consistently bad food would be a deal breaker for me, and I LOVE freestyle!

I think the poster is entitled to his opinion and his food experiences and concerns were real to him and he should not have to defend his question.

I have only cruised w/Carnival and the dinning experiences were completely different. One ship had excellent service and food while the other was just ok to poor. Does that mean we will not sail with Carnival again? No, because each ship is unique and has many factors that can influence the outcome that each cruiser experiences on a personal level.

My next cruise is on the Sea Princess and the reviews are mostly good but some are just the opposite, but I can't wait to find out for myself.

I think the poster is entitled to his opinion and his food experiences and concerns were real to him and he should not have to defend his question.

I have only cruised w/Carnival and the dinning experiences were completely different. One ship had excellent service and food while the other was just ok to poor. Does that mean we will not sail with Carnival again? No, because each ship is unique and has many factors that can influence the outcome that each cruiser experiences on a personal level.

My next cruise is on the Sea Princess and the reviews are mostly good but some are just the opposite, but I can't wait to find out for myself.

Everyone's entitled to express their opinions, but where I get off the bus is when untruths are used to support the opinions. When someone says the lunch buffet offerings never changed, he is not telling the truth, and to me that makes the legitimacy of the entire argument suspect...and remember, I was on the same cruise he was, so I know that wasn't the case.

Archived