Bathroom size on Journey

wingit

We've never sailed on Azamara and are considering booking a cruise on the Journey.

The Oceanview Staterooms are 140-170 ft. square. I cannot tell from the room diagrams on the website -- How is the bathroom? Does it have a tub and shower or just a tub?

Azamara sounds great to us. Small ship, great service, food, etc. etc. If, however, the bathroom is about the size of a large phonebooth then that could be a deal breaker for us. We're not difficult; just don't like a cramped bathroom.:)

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Agreed. We were on the Quest and at first, if you left the bathroom door open, it was tolerable. By the end of the cruise, it was really getting on my nerves.

Had the door closed and tried to put on the supplied robes and it was so small, I kept hitting the walls with my arms just getting the robe on!

Shower is quite small.

Can anyone tell me if the bathrooms are a little larger in a balcony stateroom?

No, they are not larger in a standard balcony stateroom. Someone else will have to address the various suites--we've never gone that far up upscale.

It's very small. We're not particularly large people and we thought it was ridiculous. This is supposed to be a premium cruiseline and we were in a 1A balcony cabin.

The ships, however, were built for a budget cruise line that was known for its great deals. As a result, the current operation involves some compromises. It's not easy to change the size of the bathroom.

The ships, however, were built for a budget cruise line that was known for its great deals. As a result, the current operation involves some compromises. It's not easy to change the size of the bathroom.

If the original ship WAS built to be a budget cruise line, then Azamara is going to have some future challenges trying to market their ships as a luxury line. Time will tell.

We are just off Quest and yes, the shower is small. Not the smallest I have been in but small. I can compare it to our bathrooms on X C, M and Solstice class ships since we have sailed all three. I would say that the cabin is approximately the same size (by square feet) as a C class. We had a 1A verandah and it is 175 square feet and that's the same size as Century and Mercury.

I am 6'2" and 230 lbs (before the cruise :eek:) and I always had the shower curtain touching me when taking a shower. And this may be TMI but you really have to sit side-saddle on the toilet (which is kind of weird) if you are that tall.

All that said, it was the best cruise we have ever been on and if I could stay on board, I would put up with that bathroom day in and day out forever.

Azamara sounds great to us. Small ship, great service, food, etc. etc. If, however, the bathroom is about the size of a large phonebooth then that could be a deal breaker for us. We're not difficult; just don't like a cramped bathroom.

If this is a dealbreaker for you, then you'll also have to eliminate the three Oceania R ships and the three Princess R ships from consideration. Unless you book a suite, all the bathrooms will be the same. For us, the plusses greatly outweigh the minuses and we put up with the small bathroom. We've sailed on both Oceania and Azamara and love the ambience of these smaller ships.

Was the bathroom even smaller than other mass market lines bathrooms? :confused: I mean, no cruise ship bathroom is roomy (at least no cabin I've ever been in! ;)) so anyone who has been on the ship, did you think a cabin on Princess or RCI had a bigger bathroom?

We have done Oceania (same ships)

They seemed to be the same size as the standard cabins on Princess ...cabin maybe slightly smaller or maybe it is just the layout;)

We've never sailed on Azamara and are considering booking a cruise on the Journey.

The Oceanview Staterooms are 140-170 ft. square. I cannot tell from the room diagrams on the website -- How is the bathroom? Does it have a tub and shower or just a tub?

Azamara sounds great to us. Small ship, great service, food, etc. etc. If, however, the bathroom is about the size of a large phonebooth then that could be a deal breaker for us. We're not difficult; just don't like a cramped bathroom.:)

Azamara bathrooms have showers in cabins from inside to balconies

We usually book balcony cabins and no bathroom on Princess, RCCL etc etc is that much bigger

Bathrooms are small on ships, especially if you aren't in a suite or paying 6 months (california type) mortgage payment for certain very high end cruise lines

If this is a deal breaker when it comes to your cruising choices..

I'm not sure what to say...

Ok this is what I will say...and part of this is to everyone who has been on the AZ board being so negative on other threads lately

Reset your barometer, seriously RESET IT

Ask yourself are you onboard to cruise or to travel?

If you are onboard to cruise...then put every cent you can afford to the most expensive cruise line and cabin

If you are onboard travel...

ask yourself can I do this on land on my own for the same amount of money, time and convenience?

A 2 star hotel in Europe runs anywhere from 130 -215 EUROS a night

and that's no food included

I can guarantee you you can't match a cruise price for the same land vacation, even at the higher AZ prices

Also, if you were traveling by land.....

you could find yourself eating food that causes you food poisioning

and the only bathroom you have is....

A HOLE in the ground you have to squat over while you are sicker than you have ever been in your life.

So, when you say that this small bathroom is a deal breaker...

I say the bathroom on Azamara is a SHRINE!!!!!

because praying for a porcelin god takes on a whole other

meaning when you travel by land and there's no porcelin to be found

Let's continue with showers....many showers in hotels throughout the world (internationally speaking) are a simple bathtub with a handheld shower with no door or curtain...you must find a way to wash your hair and not flood the entire bathroom using this stupid set up.

It's a major PIA before you even start your day that leaves you irritated, frustrated etc etc...

Cruising is a trade off with a land vacation..

You just need to look at the whole picture and adjust

your barometer accordingly

and a side note for another poster....

Renaissance wasn't a budget line,

it was actually a well thought out product on the surface. However, they went out business for a variety of reasons, including the fact they were arrogant enough to think they could thrive by not pay travel agents commissions...

You must remember that this was at the time where that was unheard. Travel agents at that time had a tremendous amount of power to steer clients towards specific cruise lines, hotels, cars rentals, tour companies etc etc. Renaissance screwed themselves on that decision.

Agree with a lot of what you say, but Azamara has now positioned themselves to be a top of the line and as many have said, it is not delivering. What we paid for our past January cruise was fine but to pay for this same cruise at the new higher prices, we would be very disappointed.

Oh Whereto.... have you ever hit the proverbial nail on the head! I can so relate to the hole-in-the-ground, being soooo sick from eating the "local" food that my hosts were providing me, and having only a bucket or a hose to "flush" with (Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur -- both business offices/factories I had to travel to in my working days). Fortunately, I was warned ahead of time regarding the lack of "porcelain settees" and advised to wear a skirt to "accommodate" a female having to stand over a hole in the ground. :o

I also have experienced the hand-held "shower" and the floods that followed when there was no shower curtain and the tub was half the size of what one expects a tub to be! Oh the joys of international travel -- wouldn't trade one of these experiences for a stay-at-home vacation for anything!

Many happy, continued adventures to you! ;)

tt

My question about the bathrooms seems to have upset you where2next. I guess one never knows when what seems like a harmless query will set someone off. Thank you for your advice. However I do not intend to RESET anything.

To all others who replied, thank you very much for your help. I've found that Cruise Critic is the best place to get advice and ask/answer questions.

My question about the bathrooms seems to have upset you where2next. I guess one never knows when what seems like a harmless query will set someone off. Thank you for your advice. However I do not intend to RESET anything.

To all others who replied, thank you very much for your help. I've found that Cruise Critic is the best place to get advice and ask/answer questions.

It didn't upset me, but you asked if the bathroom is small

yes, 95% off all ships bathrooms are small.

if this is what will make or break your vacation that is your perogative

I was suggesting that you look at the bigger picture of what it takes to travel

When I leave the United States of America to explore the world either by immersive land travel or on a cruise ship...

I clear my mind of what I take for granted and know that the success of any great adventure is lowering my expectations, resetting my barometer

and realizing that if I wanted it to be like home...

that's where my passport and I should remain.

but that's just me and it appears that you and I are two different travellers...

My comments about resettting your barometer weren't meant to upset you, but to possibly offer another approach to your concern!!!

The bathroom is compact but very efficient. We had a Sky Suite on Journey and the bathroom was very spacious, but I didn't miss it in our 2A on Quest. I'm 5'6" and DH is 5'10" - neither of us is obese. We found the bathroom to be perfectly functional, if not deluxe. The shower had enough space, we didn't need to be contortionists to sit on the loo and it all worked out well.:)

It is small in the Verandah but the same size as in the concierge class on Celebrity Century. The bathrooms have small showers. The Penthouse Suite has a large bathroom with marble and jacuzzi.

If the bathroom is a deal breaker I suggest you look at HAL (Holland America Line) in the future. They have some of the nicest staterooms at sea and most bathrooms have tubs (with the exception of some handicap staterooms). Unless the itinerary is really unique we will mostly be sticking with HAL and Azamara in the future, but HAL has the better baths.

It didn't upset me, but you asked if the bathroom is small

yes, 95% off all ships bathrooms are small.

This is not directed at the OP, but there are a lot of people who are so large they really will have a problem fitting into these bathrooms. We were on a 3 night CruiseToNowhere on HAL (Eurodam from NYC) in 2008 and I have never seen so many obese people on one cruise ship. Now, HAL's baths are larger than most others but I definitely recall people that would have a problem in fitting into many ships bathrooms. Of course many of those people may not be flying anywhere either and took the opportunity of a 3 night from NYC, so unlikely to ever set foot on Quest or Journey.

But, the question is very valid for some people.

We have sailed with half a dozen or more cruise lines and have found the bathrooms to all be on the small size. That is the nature of cruising, bathroom-wise. That being said, HAL may have bathrooms a tiny bit bigger than the rest. Azamara, in fact all the R ships, have small bathrooms but no smaller than most. They are a bit awkward in their organization with the toilet set at an angle so that if one has long legs, you need to leave the door open a tad to accommodate knees while sitting. Overall, Azamara has attractive bathrooms with sufficient storage space. ---- Penny

Archived