Live from Mariner

This is Emdee's daughter writing- emdee is still travelling. My parents did not use Regent's air so it was left to them to find alternatives. From Toronto I have been in contact with them for the last 24 hours.

My parents originally were supposed to fly from Venice to Munich then Munich to Toronto on a Lufthansa ticket. With Munich closing, I contacted Lufthansa and the earliest flight available was April 22, 2010 with Lufthansa giving them one night accomodation.

From Toronto we started to plan where they could fly to get out of Europe.

1) We were able to get them a hold reservation on Iberia from Venice to Madrid to JFK for April 18. When they went to Venice airport this morning, all the flights were cancelled and news spread the airport was closed.

2) Plan two was they were to travel by train to Rome and then change their tickets from Venice to Rome to fly to Madrid on April 17th and spend the night in Madrid.

3) Luckily, Emdee was standing next to Air Transit(Canadian charter) and heard she could fly to Montreal today.

Both parents are now checked in from Rome to Montreal at a small fraction of what it would have cost them to go on Iberia. Their only comments is its a zoo there.

If anyone else on the cruise is looking to get out of Europe, in the next 2 hours I will be releasing 2 seats on Iberia back, Madrid- JFK on April 18, 2010.

Best of luck to everyone trying to get back home. Orpington, are you out there? How is Barbara holding up? Of course, if I had to be stranded, Venice would be a good place as long as I could find a hotel room.

Glad Emdee was able to find the charter flight!

A group of 12 of us was supposed to get on he ship a few hours ago. Only 4 (who left earlier) are on the ship. The rest of us are at home. We all had Regent air and although they are trying, neither them nor our travel agent have come close to getting us anything. We were even willing to go to Rome and take the train to Venice but no seats on any airline were available. At least we did not get stuck in some airport sleeping on the floor.

I received an e-mail about an hour ago from one of the people who did make it and here is an excerpt from it:

"So far we heard that over 90 cabins have checked in but they are expecting more tomorrow and in Croatia. Venice airport was totally closed today for flights."

I guess that is 90 out of about 350 cabins. I think it very optimistic to believe that more people can get into either Venice or Croatia. The air disruptions look worse today than yesterday. Thankfully we all have travel insurance.

We were supposed to fly into Venice today to board the Mariner. Needless to say, we are still in Houston. Although it does not appear that we will be flying to Europe, the Regent cruise line has not been very helpful or forthcoming on information. I don't know what everyone else's experience has been, but we have been told to "just sit and wait" for a call on rescheduling of flights. Well, in our opinion and after following the news, it sure doesn't seem like we are going anywhere.

I don't know what Regent will do for us or for anyone else missing this ship because they cannot get in, even though Regent was booking our flight. I would like to hear from others.

Just another voice to say I am so sorry for the aggravation that so many of you are enduring. I know there are various gradations of disappointment and discomfort, but even the least degree of disruption is plenty tough. You have a lot of CC friends thinking of you.

It is so horrible for everyone. Ken and I didn't realise the scale of it until we got home today. As most of you know, we live in Switerland and we planned to drive home. At Hertz this AM there was a sign on the door "No cars available". We got our pre-booked car, albeit early since we didn't want to be "bumped". Then we drove home. Got here around 2.45pm and turned on the TV... quelle horreur!

My heart goes out to all those we met on the cruise (and the millions of others) who are at the airports, waiting. There is nothing we can do about it, nor can the airlines, nor Regent. Everyone is loosing lots of money but more than that - they are going through a horrible experience. Passengers, cruise lines, airlines, airport staff - everyone.

The news tonight said that this eruption might possiibly go on for weeks or months...no one knows ... and the ash is now beginning to fall here in (more or less) central Europe. ("They" say this will not be a health hazard) We have been told that we must expect not to be able to buy any fruit or veg that is flown in - but what is that compared to disrupted lives??

Let us know where you are and how you are making out...all those who are trying to get home from what was the most perfect cruise!

Just got a call from our travel agent. The Mariner is staying an extra night in Venice. That does not help us much since the next time we can get air reservations would be the 21st.

She also said the people getting off the Mariner cannot get planes out so they are being put in a hotel in a smaller town a few miles away from Venice until they can get transportation.

It is frustrating but what can you do? Or for that matter, what can anyone do except wait. I bet the Regent people are as frustrated as the passengers.

Thank you for the reports. The situation seems to be getting worse rather than better. I just heard that taxi's and hotels in London are doubling their prices. While this may not be illegal, it is morally iniquitos!

I was just looking at the itinerary for the Mariner this week. It does go to one port in Greece. The last I heard, some flights are able to leave Greece. If Regent could transport as many guests as possible from the last cruise to Greece (for a minimal cost), it would be a blessing for many people. Ships in the area has the unique ability to get people to ports that could lead them (by train or other forms of transportation) to an airport that is not currently affected.

Hi all,

This is Emdee back at home after a hellish 24 hours.

We were booked out of Venice only to find the airport closed. A kindly agent advised us to try to get out of Rome and we managed to make some excellent train connections to Fumicino. It was a tough haul for my DH as he had to move the huge suitcases - I havent learnt to travel light! - up and down stairways but we made it. Fumicino was a zoo with a ton of people milling around and a few of them like us lost and confused.

While I was gazing at the huge board filled with red cancellation signs two young ladies stopped by and I heard the magic words Air Transat to Montreal. We were fortunate to get seats only because the plane was supposed to pick up passengers in Paris and couldnt.

My daughter has been a brick calling all the airlines and having them hold seats for us we were lucky to have her helping us along.

The cruise was wonderful. Service superb. I loved Signatures , Prime 7 was good as well.

Dionne Lockner was cruise director and she had a really tough job as we were all so toured out and didnt have the energy to go to the shows. She is a lovely and classy lady so enjoyed meeting her again.

The tours were quite good too . Sarande was sad with mountains of garbage.

Bedtime for me now!

Miriam

What a horrible experience. My Wife and I sailed two years ago on the Mariner in Alaska for our honeymoon, and now were scheduled on the 4/17/10 Mariner Venice to Rome trip for her birthday. We absolutely loved the Alaska trip, and vowed to sail again ONLY with Regent and the Mariner. It would be premature to call that commitment a mistake, but based upon the level of service we received two years ago compared to our recent experience perhaps it's not. During the last three days of utter chaos, I kept reminding my Wife "Don't worry, Regent won't leave us hanging", but that is exactly how we feel. We booked air through Regent with a deviation, business class upgrade, purposely choosing Air France as our carrier. When the initial LAX to Paris flight got cancelled on 4/15, we immediately called Regent for advice. Stating they only have a commitment to provide business air service "over water", we were booked on coach the following day on American 2 to JFK, connecting to Delta 186 direct to Venice. One call to Air France bumped us to business class on the first flight. Once we landed at JFK on 4/16, we immediately proceeded to the Delta gate only to find out the Venice flight had just cancelled about an hour from take off. We IMMEDIATELY called Regent (approx. 5:00 PM Central time), and after multiple calls to the air desk, with no answer, finally spoke to someone in booking who said "just stay at the airport, we will give you further direction, the air desk will be in tomorrow at 8AM (Saturday-their usual hours are 8:30am)." If we followed her advice, we would still be at JFK with no bags and, more importantly, no calls from Regent. We have conservatively attempted to contact various Regent phone numbers and via email approx. 35 times, and left messages half of them - not ONE call back. I know this is an extreme anomaly that is affecting people in various degrees of severity world wide. However, I sincerely believe that this is the time that companies that claim to provide superior service should shine. That almost disappoints me as much as missing the vacation we have spent months planning, because prior to this I was an extremely vocal advocate of Regent. All day Thurs. we were told that ALL managers were in a meeting in Florida. Knowing a decent amount about crisis management, this was the opportune time to cancel the "meetings" and tell the managers to take ownership of this situation and make a difference. We were also told that all employees had left for the day Fri. at their scheduled time since "there was nothing they could do", yet would be arriving at 8AM Central time Sat. morning to give us further direction, which simply did not happen. If it wasn't for Air France really stepping up and helping us in ways we never thought possible that an airline could (or would), we would still be sitting at JFK waiting for a call from Regent. Bryan Buck (949) 584-6244

Bryan,

I am so sorry what you are going through.

You say Air France stepped up to the plate and that you are not still waiting at JFK... so , where are you? Are you on the ship?

Also, is there any significance to the phone # you posted? If it is your personal number I strongly advise you to edit it out.

Cruiseluv;

We flew back to LA late this afternoon, after checking with every availalbe airline that flys anywhere near where we thought we would still be able to make the port. The phone number is my personal phone number (which I have left with multiple Regent voice mails with no return call); not sure why you advise that I remove it - we are still waiting to hear a response from Regent, and I welcome any input/advice from any interested party. Thanks for the response!

Cruiseluv;

We flew back to LA late this afternoon, after checking with every availalbe airline that flys anywhere near where we thought we would still be able to make the port. The phone number is my personal phone number (which I have left with multiple Regent voice mails with no return call); not sure why you advise that I remove it - we are still waiting to hear a response from Regent, and I welcome any input/advice from any interested party. Thanks for the response!

I think that the poster misunderstood your situation. I've started another thread in an attempt to get someone from Regent's attention. We also have high regard for Regent and are stunned by their lack of response. This is an unusual and serious situation -- one that should have all available Regent employees working 24/7 this weekend. I'm not sure if anyone on the Mariner could help you, but, it may be worth a try. The phone number for the ship is in your document package in the Ship Information Guide. Unfortunately, the charges to call the ship are rather high -- the booklet has a communication section where they talk about using certain mobile phones.

Really hope they communication with you soon.

Hi all,

This is Emdee back at home after a hellish 24 hours.

We were booked out of Venice only to find the airport closed. A kindly agent advised us to try to get out of Rome and we managed to make some excellent train connections to Fumicino. It was a tough haul for my DH as he had to move the huge suitcases - I havent learnt to travel light! - up and down stairways but we made it. Fumicino was a zoo with a ton of people milling around and a few of them like us lost and confused.

While I was gazing at the huge board filled with red cancellation signs two young ladies stopped by and I heard the magic words Air Transat to Montreal. We were fortunate to get seats only because the plane was supposed to pick up passengers in Paris and couldnt.

My daughter has been a brick calling all the airlines and having them hold seats for us we were lucky to have her helping us along.

The cruise was wonderful. Service superb. I loved Signatures , Prime 7 was good as well.

Dionne Lockner was cruise director and she had a really tough job as we were all so toured out and didnt have the energy to go to the shows. She is a lovely and classy lady so enjoyed meeting her again.

The tours were quite good too . Sarande was sad with mountains of garbage.

Bedtime for me now!

Miriam

Glad to see you got home - we are sched for tomorrow and if not tomorrow, on Wed from Rome - booked train tix to Rome - Getting very spotty

I just had an e mail from Orpington T - he and his family, along with many others on the cruise, are in a hotel in Padua which is very close to Venice, waiting for the skies to clear. I am sure he will give us more details later, but apparently Regent is taking care of B&B for those who booked their air through Regent.

As to people in the US, and elsewhere, being "just told to sit and wait" - it seems this is all anyone CAN do! Latest news this am is that the eruption may be intensifying...which is not good news for anyone. This is a situation totally out of anyone's control.

As to taxi fares in London doubling - as they are strictly controlled by law I doubt this is the case. However I have read of people - John Cleese, for one - who are taking very long distance taxis. he took one from somewhere in Scandinavia to Calais (over 1000km) at a reported cost of $5000. Any time you take a taxi outside its local area - you pay! Hotel costs are another story as they are driven by supply and demand.

If anyone had suggested this turn of events as a possiblity would any of us have believed it??

Cruiseluv;

What is that you are asking from Regent at this point? A refund/ compensation? I hope Regent contacts you soon and lays out options for you.

Regarding posting your phone #, obviously your choice. I wouldn't want my personal number out there.

It will be very interesting to see how refunds and compensation is handled for this crisis. Presumably cancellation insurance will kick in, unless it's an "act of god" and is excluded--anyone know?

Up here in The Great White, it would/should be covered under trip interruption coverage in most policies. I know our carrier would cover it as it would be considered the same sort of event as 50cms of snow in April!!:eek::D

The only thing I am requesting of Regent at this point is communication. For example: If I was in charge of this situation, I would mandate that employees be required to be available to speak to Saturday and Sunday, not just M-W. A statement like "We at Regent have been instructed from the very top of the organization that during this very difficult and stressful situation we will do everything within our ability to accommodate you, our valued customer." It's not much, but it's something. Using an unprecedented incident as an excuse to do nothing is not acceptable. I posted my personal cell phone number because I was told that sometimes Regent executives and employees read this blog, and I wanted to make it easy for someone to contact me if that were the case.

It is very hard to communicate things when you do not know what is going on. This is basically the problem for the airlines - they do not know if/when/where their planes will be flying...and Regent cannot know better than they. That said, I find it rather bizarre (having worked for some 25 years in a travel-related industry) that no one at Regent is answering calls from people they have booked on flights and who now cannot fly.

It is clear from what Oprington T says that Regent is taking very good care of their passengers for whom they booked air arrangements and who are stuck in Italy. It is also possible (also based on my previous career...) that passengers who have not yet started their journey are somewhat less of a priority than travellers who are stranded. Nonetheless, a call centre for those in the US should have been opened...and people contacted. I think!

Emdee - I am so glad that you and Colin are safely home. It looks like things might open up tomorrow, and then there will be the usual couple of days of getting the planes back into place. It was great to meet you both at the cocktail and at the curry dinner!!

Archived