Movies Set on Cruise Ships

Bret82

How about the "The Last Voyage" which was filmed on the legendary "Ile de France" (the ship that came to the rescue of Andrea Doria), as she was being sent off to the breakers at the time. They actually partially sunk the ship and brought down one of her funnels!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Voyage

"Titianic" had nothing to do with a real ship, they were all sets or models.

"The Poseidon Adventure" was partially filmed aboard Queen Mary, but most scenes were filmed on stage sets.

"The Love Boat" was mostly stage sets, but, obviously, a few real scenes appeared aboard "Pacific Princess". She is also going to the breakers.

Does anyone know the name of the cruise ship they were on during the filming of Boat Trip with Cuba Gooding Jr.? It says "Olympic Voyager" on the back of the ship but I can't find anything about a ship of that name. Just curious. BTW - terrible movie!!!!

Thanks, AJ

Have to admit I watched it, yes a terrible movie! I don't think Cuba Goodings career has recovered from it yet:rolleyes:

The Legend of 1900, starring the always-fabulous Tim Roth. He plays a man (named "1900") who was found as an infant on a ship at the turn of the 20th century, and spends his entire life on board. It's a really bittersweet movie! Here's a Wiki-link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_1900

OMG this movie is so good!! Heart wrenching!!!

Ghost Ship - w/Julianna Margulies - "In a remote region of the Bering Sea, a boat salvage crew discovers the eerie remains of a grand passenger liner thought lost for more than 40 years. Once onboard, the crew must confront the ship's horrific past and face the ultimate fight for their lives."

Pat

I first saw "Legend of 1900" while on a TA on QE2 in 1999. It's one of my favorite movies, and I have it on DVD.

While the ship, "SS Virginian", is not accurate to the period (it would have come a good 10 years later, if not more), the Italian production team did a great job with the sets, special effects, etc. It is a must-see movie! Few realize that the movie is an almost all Italian production, which makes me proud. :)

Let's face it, when you go to scrap a ship, you usually do not blow it up and sink it, but in the case of this movie, the plot and ending works. If you have not seen it, get the DVD and do so. It is a great, great, movie! Seriously, it doesn't get much better than this!

L+of+1900.jpeg

I liked Out to Sea with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. It was set on the Westerdam. Funny movie in my opinion.

Was this the one where they are "dance instructors". I asked this question 6 years ago after my first cruise and enjoyed watching a couple of these. Like a lot of people who had never cruised and were my age, images of the TV show love boat came to mind. I was looking for movies other than disaster flicks.

Ghost Ship - w/Julianna Margulies - "In a remote region of the Bering Sea, a boat salvage crew discovers the eerie remains of a grand passenger liner thought lost for more than 40 years. Once onboard, the crew must confront the ship's horrific past and face the ultimate fight for their lives."

Pat

"Ghost Ship", an horrific but good movie. The ship reminds me of Andrea Doria. Indeed, the ship's name was "Antonia Graza", and she was an Italian ship.

Along with "Legend of 1900" (which I think is more a must-see movie), this is another one to watch, however, it is a horror film and not in the same category.

Was this the one where they are "dance instructors". I asked this question 6 years ago after my first cruise and enjoyed watching a couple of these. Like a lot of people who had never cruised and were my age, images of the TV show love boat came to mind. I was looking for movies other than disaster flicks.

They were supposed to be "gentlemen hosts", which often means dancing, and you need to know how to do it. They were there for the single ladies. Cunard has these "hosts" also. They cruise for free.

Not a bad film, and nice to see these two, late, talented actors together.

Edit: Just to add, some scenes in "Out to sea" were not filmed on "Westerdam" but on "Queen Mary" at Long Beach, California!

Edited by loubetti

Don’t forget Boat Trip with Cuba Gooding Jr. & Horatio Sanz, to straight guy’s unknowingly get on an all gay cruise, Roger Moore plays an aging gay playboy, pretty funny movie :D

That is a funny one. Love Cuba!

Not a movie---but still one of my favorite pre-cruise things to watch: I Love Lucy!!! There is a series of about 4 or 5 episodes that are simply hilarious!! Getting the passports, missing the boat, boarding the boat--every episode just brings a smile:) remembering them.

That would be the "SS Constitution", which my grandmother sailed on. Lucy had to be airlifted by helicopter on board! :D

Aside from the love story and William Murdoch killing himself, James Cameron's "Titanic" is quite accurate. After the movie was released, Cameron built a statue of William Murdoch in his home town, as it was never proven that Murdoch killed himself!

Murdoch, as we should all know, was in command when Titanic hit the iceberg.

Cameron really nailed it when it came to some passengers. There was that second class passenger, school teacher, who was seen briefly, overlooking the deck as folks played with the ice. I forget his name, but Cameron really got the details mostly right. He cast the characters perfectly. Just these little details made the film amazing.

Edited by loubetti

"Deep Rising" with Treat Williams.....

Synopsis.

A group of gunrunners in South China come across a deserted cruise ship occupied by a killer creature... with tentacles...

In Theaters

January 30, 1998

Silly, but fun, if you like action/monster movies. :D:):D

Not a movie---but still one of my favorite pre-cruise things to watch: I Love Lucy!!! There is a series of about 4 or 5 episodes that are simply hilarious!! Getting the passports, missing the boat, boarding the boat--every episode just brings a smile:) remembering them.

Yup, the ship supposedly was the Constitution or Independence from the U.S. line. I can't remember for sure which ship it was now.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Pat

I remember seeing that. It was actually pretty scary!

"Cameron really nailed it when it came to some passengers. There was that second class passenger, school teacher, who was seen briefly, overlooking the deck as folks played with the ice. I forget his name"

The teacher booked as a second class passenger on the TITANIC, was Lawrence Beesley.

Hi, Dreamgirl1957,

Concerning the I Love Lucy series---the episodes are replayed occasionally here in the US. In fact, I think they were on just a few weeks ago, but I was out of town and missed it!!:( If I find any info, I'll post.

I think there are several "classic" Lucy episodes:

The candy factory

The ballerina

Stomping grapes

The cruise series

B.