Who would like to hear Caribbean Music?

We will be on our 4th Caribbean cruise aboard Celebrity in the fall. Each time on Celebrity there has been a lack of Caribbean or Reggae music. I was just wondering if anyone else would like to hear perhaps a steel drum band with singers at the pool and sail away parties?

Cheers,

JoAnne

on Solstice we had a great steel drum player (no vocals) & not a real reggae band--a party band that was not very good.... seems to be the way for X

Would love it if X upgraded the music--it is really our only complaint-- Just back from Radiance on Royal...they had many live bands & performers-- most very good to excellent ...no music down time

We will be on our 4th Caribbean cruise aboard Celebrity in the fall. Each time on Celebrity there has been a lack of Caribbean or Reggae music. I was just wondering if anyone else would like to hear perhaps a steel drum band with singers at the pool and sail away parties?

Cheers,

JoAnne

I am going on a Carribean cruise, are you telling me there will be no Bob Marley playesd at all? What a sin! My favorite times on RCI was the steel drums around the pool and LOTS of Carribean favorites being played.

I have read a lot of the new reviews recently posted on the Solstice sailings during the past two or three weeks. I have gotten the impression that Reggae music hasn't been played. On my 3 previous Celebrity cruises this type of music was also lacking. They always have a party type band at the pool that played a lot of 60's and 70's music which I also like. But I love steel drum bands and just kinda connect them with the Caribbean.

Glad to see that others agree with me.

Thought I would start another post that wasn't about drink packages. :D

Cheers,

JoAnne

A surreal moment at an all inclusive resort in Jamaica several years ago - we had entertainment from a local Jamaica high school 30 piece marching band dressed in American style band uniforms. They played "No Woman No Cry" followed by "The Marine Corps Hymn" at the clothing optional pool.

Cheers,

JoAnne

Absolutely

Cheers,

JoAnne

Bring on the Caribbean steel drum band.:D

Cheers,

JoAnne

Count us in...we love Reggae and steel drum. It just gets us in cruising mode.

we always enjoy the music played by the pools on Royal Caribbean, I mean if you are cruising the Caribbean one should hear that style of music by the pool to add to the ambiance. Guess I can always listen to my own iPod if the music isn't that style and have my own music in my head that I prefer :D

Cheers,

JoAnne

Absolutely! It's a necessary part of any Caribbean vacation!

I love Bankie Banx, by the way!

We too would like to see =X= provide a steel band ensemble on our Caribbean cruises but that apparently isn't going to happen ever. So, we provide our own.

I have several CD's of steel band music including one of Christamas music on my iPod. We always bring our iPods with us along with the cable to connect an iPod to the flat screen TV in the cabin. Works like a champ and we have steel band music throughout our cabin and out on our balcony. BTW, the cable to connect an iPod's audio out to a TV or stereo is about a $5 cable.

What I had to do was connect the cable from the iPod to an AUX input on the DVD player underneath the TV. The TV has the jack panel to accomodate this connection directly but =X= has disabled the TV's audio input capability. OTOH, the AUX input on the DVD player worked just fine.

If Celebrity won't we will.:):):)

:) There are a lot of us out here that would be very happy if you would start having Caribbean music such as a steel drum band on our cruises. Reggae style music is really needed at the pool and at sail away parties in the Caribbean.

How about it folks? Maybe if enough people comment on this thread we can make it happen.

Cheers,

JoAnne

We were on the Equinox Transatlantic cruise last fall, ending in Ft. Lauderdale and starting Caribbean cruises immediately afterwards.

There was a steel pan player who did solo performances at various bars around the ship - seemed a little out of place on our cruise but I presume he was just brought aboard for the upcoming Caribbean cruises.

I don't know if this is, or will be, a standard feature on the S-class Caribbean cruises, but we also did a Caribbean cruise on the Millennium last March and they did not have a steel pan player on that cruise nor do I recall seeing any over the past few years. They do have a party band on all cruises and the party bands in the Caribbean are almost always Caribbean bands - usually from St. Lucia. These bands play a broad variety of music including a little reggae but mostly general rock, pop and dance music.

Frankly, it seems like the bands on Celebrity in the Caribbean have been playing less and less reggae over the years.

On our last Caribbean cruise the party band only played one 45 minute session by the pool most afternoons, usually around sail away time. Some days there was none at all, and on the two sea days they either did two 45 minute sessions or double length session.

I agree with the poster above who said:

...Would love it if X upgraded the music--it is really our only complaint--...

We were sailing out of Venice on Constellation a couple of years ago when the guitar player at the aft bar began to sing DAY-O....DAAAY-O. I wanted to throw him overboard.;)

That was a classic, wasn't it? All I could think was that he mistook one of the gondolas for a banana boat:)

Phil

On our Equinoxcruise in april there were a carribbean band playing every afternoon at the pool followed by a steeldrum player. It was nice and a lot of people dancing as well.

3 years ago on a 5 night Caribbean sailing on Century we did have an amazing sail away with a 4 or 5 piece group who stayed on the whole trip and performed most days, on sea days up in the lido, port days various venue's and two beach parties on lido deck at night- I heard we got an "extra" beach party as the first one was such a hit with the younger people on board ( 5 day sailing)

Recent sailings we have grown to appreciate our balcony, the serenity, the privacy and the pleasure of sharing that experience with a special someone ;).

Sail away party has lost its intrigue with us, just too many loud people, music being baffled by sounds of hundreds jaunting and jeering. Not our cup of tea, as other poster has mentioned, we bring our own ipod and speakers to enjoy in the cabin. Bob Marley IMHO is best enjoyed when no one is yelling, whistling, cheering or whatever else happens "up there" these days.

Celebrity seems to have done away with the island groups they had in the past. Some of them were very good, which is a shame. I've noticed Celebrity, and other lines like Princess, are now using these more versatile "party bands" who can play their music both on deck and inside the lounges in the evenings. The one we had recently on the Equinox - the name escapes me now - was pretty good, but not quite the same as the past.

Archived