June 1st announcement

Well if there is an announcement tomorrow, I hope it will be posted in CLEAR english on Cruise Critic..........since tomorrow is the first of the month, this retiree is going to pay bills since I only get paid now once a month:)........I THINK I still have my priorities straight:p.........but whenever I check later in the morning.......I hope if ther is an announcement, someone will post it in very clear english.

Better have your decoder ring handy..........just in case.:D

Not yo worry, Jim. If nothing is announced tomorrow, someone will be sure to post that the announcement is coming on June 15th, July 1st. September, 1st or next January when the revamped cruise credit that they have supposedly been working on, refining and polishing until it gleams, is due to be revealed, according to "those who really know".:D:rolleyes: Make enough predictions and one of them will eventually come true, something like the "blind squirrel' who eventually finds a nut.;)

You guys are making it so hard for me to sign off and call it a night here. Nothing on TV is as much fun.:D

Not yo worry, Jim. If nothing is announced tomorrow, someone will be sure to post that the announcement is coming on June 15th, July 1st. September, 1st or next January when the revamped cruise credit that they have supposedly been working on, refining and polishing until it gleams, is due to be revealed, according to "those who really know".:D:rolleyes: Make enough predictions and one of them will eventually come true, something like the "blind squirrel' who eventually finds a nut.;)

So true Bill................I just love Cruise Critic:D:p

Better have your decoder ring handy..........just in case.:D

LMAO...........Patti........you are in charge of DECODING:p It may be noon before I can sign on............(I really am paying bills in the morning LOL!!)

And why not? The easiest way to make a profit and return a high rate of return would be to raise rates 10% if not more.

In fact, there is a video interview with Richard Fain where he said rates are nowhere near where they SHOULD be.

Well, to raise rates 10% which could cause them to lose 20% of their customers doesn't sound like good business sense to me.

Patty

As a shareholder, R. Fain answers to the board and to me. Allowing the combinability of discounts makes zero sense. You can't go to the store and combine coupons on a can of peas.

Actually, yes you can. You can combine a manufacturer's coupon with a store coupon for the same item. And if you happen to have a general store coupon for, say, "$5 off your next total purchase of $30 or more" you can generally use that one as well. :)

Cruise Critic represents on a miniscule portion of total RCI cruisers in general. If it were totally up to Richard Fain, you would be paying far more for your RCI cruises than you are now.

But it's not totally up to Richard Fain, is it? There's this little economic phenomenon called supply and demand.

But you know sometimes the blind squirrel really already knows where the nut is. So believe or don't believe what you want.

Actually, yes you can. You can combine a manufacturer's coupon with a store coupon for the same item. And if you happen to have a general store coupon for, say, "$5 off your next total purchase of $30 or more" you can generally use that one as well. :)

That will work in some stores but definitely won't work in others. Examine many coupons and you will frequently find language indicating that the coupon can't be used in conjunction with other or doesn't apply to specific brands or on sale merchandise. Overall, until they eliminated the combinability of discounts, RCI had pretty much the most liberal discounting policies of all cruise lines.

Well, to raise rates 10% which could cause them to lose 20% of their customers doesn't sound like good business sense to me.

Patty

Nor would it to most people, but you are assuming that a 10% fare increase would necessarily result in a 20& loss of their customers. I'm not sure that the facts would necessarily support your assumption. You have to think that the beancounters take such things into consideration and before they would recommend a 10% increase they would have to be pretty certain that any resulting loss of business would be less than the 10% increase in revenue.

That will work in some stores but definitely won't work in others. Examine many coupons and you will frequently find language indicating that the coupon can't be used in conjunction with other or doesn't apply to specific brands or on sale merchandise. Overall, until they eliminated the combinability of discounts, RCI had pretty much the most liberal discounting policies of all cruise lines.

Sorry, I forgot to issue a disclaimer that you cannot combine coupons on a can of peas 100% of the time. But frequently you can, and that was my point.

Nor would it to most people, but you are assuming that a 10% fare increase would necessarily result in a 20& loss of their customers. I'm not sure that the facts would necessarily support your assumption. You have to think that the beancounters take such things into consideration and before they would recommend a 10% increase they would have to be pretty certain that any resulting loss of business would be less than the 10% increase in revenue.

I agree.........the beancounters know what they are doing..........now if we could just get the PR departement to get their act together:p

Patty

It makes amazing business sense. Customers should be segmented into four grades: A’s, B’s, C’s and D’s. They should be totally concentrating on their A customers. They are the most profitable, most loyal and best source of referrals. The 80-20 rule is that 80% of any company's profits come from the top 20% of its customer base and they will not notice a 10% price increase. They are the A customers. RCI needs to do more to attract A customers.

The B customers will grumble but they are so loyal they won't go away.

The C & D customers are quite frankly a drain on profits and raising prices will be a nice way of saying "goodbye".

They need to stop discounting all the way around. When you stop discounting, you literally stop giving money away. Think of it this way: if you constantly discount, why even bother having a retail price? Not only does discounting cost you money, it gives your customers the general impression your “normal” prices are a rip-off. The flip-side of this, especially if you are in a “discounting” oriented business, is to add-on value instead. In some instances, you may be able to raise your price, add value for very little cost out-of-pocket and enormously leverage profits. In the end, it’s all about perceived value for your customer.

Well, with the economy today I tend to think the beancounters might be wrong with that assumption. I think a lot of us on these boards have way more common sense than the beancounters and sometimes common sense and gut feelings are better to go on than calculated assumptions. If the beancounters were so good, perhaps they wouldn't have allowed RCCL to give C&A status to members of people's families that live in the same household even though they only cruised once. Maybe they should have made the assumption that it would cause hugh problems with to many D/D+ members when there really shouldn't be.

I hear Rosetta Stone is working on an edition for Royal Caribbeanese.

Not as good as the Captain Midnight Decoder Ring.

Now you're talking. I don't think that CoachT does much grocery shopping.:D

They need to stop discounting all the way around. When you stop discounting, you literally stop giving money away. Think of it this way: if you constantly discount, why even bother having a retail price? Not only does discounting cost you money, it gives your customers the general impression your “normal” prices are a rip-off. The flip-side of this, especially if you are in a “discounting” oriented business, is to add-on value instead. In some instances, you may be able to raise your price, add value for very little cost out-of-pocket and enormously leverage profits. In the end, it’s all about perceived value for your customer.

But isn't it discounts and price reductions that catch people's attention and makes booking a cruise more appealing?

They just altered their New Best Price Guarantee Program.........which, after final payment, won't allow for any price reductions. And it seems that's when most of the price reductions were happening.........after final payment.

So what was once attractive and a great selling point and made RCI stand out ahead of their competition is now making them just like everybody else.

It makes amazing business sense. Customers should be segmented into four grades: A’s, B’s, C’s and D’s. They should be totally concentrating on their A customers. They are the most profitable, most loyal and best source of referrals. The 80-20 rule is that 80% of any company's profits come from the top 20% of its customer base and they will not notice a 10% price increase. They are the A customers. RCI needs to do more to attract A customers.

The C & D customers are quite frankly a drain on profits and raising prices will be a nice way of saying "goodbye".

Aren't there more variables? What about first-time cruisers? Which category do they fit in to? Price may (or may not) be a major consideration for them. What about attrition? As those super-loyal A's and B's age and perhaps become too infirm for cruising (or the portion of their income they can allot to vacationing becomes less due to tax cuts, tax increases, etc., who will be replacing them? Don't we need to look at the future?

Rachel

Would you say the "A" customers are those staying in a "Suite'? They can be first time or repeat customers, but have paid more $$ up front.

It has been debated many times before, that D, D+ may cruise more often, but do they actually spend $$? Being profitable to the company? And their numbers are ever increasing, including all age groups.

It makes amazing business sense. Customers should be segmented into four grades: A’s, B’s, C’s and D’s. They should be totally concentrating on their A customers. They are the most profitable, most loyal and best source of referrals. The 80-20 rule is that 80% of any company's profits come from the top 20% of its customer base and they will not notice a 10% price increase. They are the A customers.

If they wanted to follow that business plan, they shouldn't have built ships that need the C's and D's to survive. If Oasis isn't a mass-market attraction, I don't know what is.

Posted on the RCI Crown and Anchor Page this morning. . . .

Radio

;);)

Diamond Plus

When it comes to delivering a more gratifying experience to our Crown & Anchor guests, the question isn't why - it is Why Not? These exclusive new Diamond Plus benefits will add to those you've enjoyed in the past - and there is much more to come!

Onboard Booking Bonus

As of June 1st, 2010, only Crown & Anchor Society members will enjoy the benefit of reserving their next cruise onboard. The new and exclusive Onboard Booking Bonus gives you an onboard credit of up to $200, and when you use it with either your Balcony & Suite Discount or with a Crown & Anchor Society Savings Certificate you can save even more than before, especially if you reserve six months in advance. For Example:

Program up to May 31, 2010

An Onboard Booking Credit was available to every guest who booked while onboard. For instance, if you booked a 7-night Caribbean cruise you would have received a $100 onboard credit, or you could have used your Savings Certificate for an outside stateroom and saved $150, or you could have used your $200 Balcony & Suite Discount.

Program after June 1, 2010

Now, the Onboard Booking Bonus is exclusive to Crown & Anchor Society Members. If you now book a 7-night Caribbean cruise you can use the Onboard Booking Bonus of a $100 onboard credit for your next cruise, plus use your Savings Certificate for an outside stateroom valued at $150, for a total savings of $250. There will be instances where your best savings opportunity is an Onboard Booking Bonus together with your Balcony & Suite Discount, particularly if you book at least six months in advance. For example, if you are booking a balcony or suite, you can apply a discount of $250, if booking at least six months in advance, plus your $100 Onboard Booking Bonus for a total savings of $350.

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:

DiamondPlus-1.gif

DiamondPlus-2.gif

Priority Notification of special offers

These exclusive opportunities are often only available for a limited-time. Be sure we have your most up-to-date e-mail address so we can bring our best offers to you first.

Click here to view the most current offers available

Upgrade Availability For Diamond Plus Members

Royal Caribbean usually sails to its capacity; however in the event we are able to offer an upgrade, we will continue to make our Diamond Plus Members a priority. We will contact you in advance of sailing if an upgrade becomes available, so please make sure we have your most recent contact information.

New Priority Access Seating In Entertainment Venues Diamond Plus members will now enjoy reserved VIP seating for any of our main production shows.

Enhancements to Your Ultimate Value Booklet

In addition to many of your favorite offers, we've added new savings, including: 45 minutes free internet plus 20% off internet packages, savings for laundry, dry cleaning, pressing, a free photo and more while onboard

AND REMEMBER your other benefits haven’t gone away – like access to the Concierge Lounge, your personalized amenity and behind the scenes tours to name a few.

Our goal is to continue to recognize our most valued guests. Therefore, as a Diamond Plus Member, we will continue to look for ways to enhance your Crown & Anchor Society benefits.

There are listings for all of the Crown and Anchor Levels (Gold- Platinum- Diamond)on the Benefits page. . .

Archived