Cabin near elevator - Good/Bad/Ugly??

Roadtripster

Was wondering if a cabin "next to" the elevator is a good idea or bad one. Is there too much elevator noise? People hanging around the elevators making noise?

If you have any experience with one of these cabins, I would love to get some feedback.

Thanks!

I have difficulties walking so we always book cabins right near the mid-ship elevators or aft elevators. The evators are in the center between the port and starboard corridors. The corridors are "recessed" from the elevators. We have never had any problems with noise or people gathering and we have sailed on RCCL, Princess, HAL and X. We love being near the elevators and highly recommend those cabines

I had one about two down from the elevator once, and there was a little extra noise but not enough to keep me up at night. I think it depends on the size of the ship- for a longer ship I'd be fine with the tradeoff rather than hiking down to the elevator.

On our last 2 cruises we were very close to the elevators, within a cabin or two. We never heard any noise from that area. It is our favorite spot, mid ship near the elevators, as my other half has some problems with walking long distances.

If there were other cabins available, I wouldn't choose the one that was closest to an elevator, but if everything else on the ship met my preferences and the cabins close to the elevator were the only cabins available, I'd still book the cruise.

I didn't think they would be a problem. I see the "recessed" area and figured that it would be okay. DH is a sound sleeper and we are extremely early risers, so I think we will be okay with one of them. I just like to location and one was actually available that I like.

Like you said fideauxdon, no matter what the cabin, I'd still book the cruise!! LOL

I worried about noise from the elevators and people waiting for them when we were assigned a cabin right across from them on the Star Princess. We found it really convenient (for the stairs) and never had any noise problems. We also had a balcony cabin right beside the outside elevator on HAL's Westerdam. It was also convenient to the stairs. And other than occasionally seeing people looking out the glass elevator onto our balcony, we never had any problems.

I worried about noise from the elevators and people waiting for them when we were assigned a cabin right across from them on the Star Princess. We found it really convenient (for the stairs) and never had any noise problems. We also had a balcony cabin right beside the outside elevator on HAL's Westerdam. It was also convenient to the stairs. And other than occasionally seeing people looking out the glass elevator onto our balcony, we never had any problems.

Ditto for us on the Oosterdam. No noise at all. I always take the stairs and it`s nice to walk out of the cabin and there they are.

Rich

We chose a cabin in the atrium right near the elevators for ease of navigating! We "lost" our daughter once when she was coming back to the cabin by herself - she turned the wrong way off the elevators and you know how those corridors all look exactly the same!! She eventually made it home - at which time we were already finding security - but it was a scary 15 minutes for us all!!

Many times I've had cabins very close to the elevators & never heard a peep. I was a little concerned on my Dawn cruise because we were in 10036 & it was the first cabin next to the elevator "foyer"...but it was also a very quiet cabin. Recently I've become enamored of aft cabins...so I do a little trekking ...but the walking is a good counter-balance to the calorie intake! :D.

We love cabins near the elevators and stairs and never had a problem. On the three cruise lines we were on, the elevators were in the lobby of each deck, while the cabins were away from the elevator, around the corner and down the corridors.

They are never as close to the cabins as it looks in the deck plan. Noise should not be a problem.

Do yourself a huge favor and NEVER ride the elevator for the entire cruise. Walking the stairs is wonderful exercise that everyone can benefit from.

They are never as close to the cabins as it looks in the deck plan. Noise should not be a problem.

Do yourself a huge favor and NEVER ride the elevator for the entire cruise. Walking the stairs is wonderful exercise that everyone can benefit from.

unless you have mobility issues.

We'd never had a cabin near an elevator until our recent RCI cruise. The cabin actually was at the junction of the forward stairwell on deck seven--direct access to the stairs/balcony overlooking the promenade with the elevators just around the corner. Although it was in the cabin hallway, it was centered on the stairwell.

It was a great location! We had no noise or privacy issues and it was so easy to zip up or down the stairs (we use the elevators rarely) to either the promenade or Lido deck.

It also happened to be the area where all our roll call activities were posted which was really convenient!

The only time we ever saw people congregating there was when they were having the parades in the Royal Promenade, but that lasted only a short time.

We did have a problem one time when we went cruising during spring vacation time. There were a lot of kids and they did seem to spend a lot of time by the elevators. Other than that one time, being close to the elevators is a convenience. I personally like to be 3-4 cabins down from them.

unless you have mobility issues.

What if it is a glass elevator that goes down to a beautiful atrium? I would take that one for the view.

If you want to get more exercise, one way is get a cabin far from the elevators.

I personally will select a cabin near the elevators because my mom would forget how to find it again if she had to walk down a long hallway.

Was wondering if a cabin "next to" the elevator is a good idea or bad one. Is there too much elevator noise? People hanging around the elevators making noise?

If you have any experience with one of these cabins, I would love to get some feedback.

Thanks!

Its a trade off. Being close to the elevator is very convenient and we usually book our cabin near the elevator. The tradoff is it can be noisy, not because of the elevators themselves but because of the passenger traffic. If you are a light sleeper it could be a factor. When I'm asleep you have to put a mirror under my nose to see if I'm still breathing, so the noise is not a factor for me. DW is a light sleeper but it has never really been a problem for her either...

I deliberately try and get a cabin close by the mid-ship elevators as I love the convenience of being in the middle of everything and I have not found noise to be a problem. On my last cruise, I was a couple of cabins down from the elevators but opposite the stewards' pantry and that was noisy when they propped the door open in the morning to get the carts out and had long conversations along the corridor.

Archived