Recommendations for a venice restaurant

cruisinisforme

Dining is so subjective. We were always on the go so we grabbed fantastic pizza or kebabs at little takeout places. (look at the pizza in the window first to see if it's the style you like.) I'm a vegetarian so it worked out great for me.

For restaurant recommendations I think tripadvisor is excellent since you can specify the area of town and what type of food.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g1725258-City_of_Venice_Veneto.html

This site is great for all kinds of info on Venice.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/dining_in_the_veneto.htm

"Everything" is not great as there are tourist trap sorts of places in every city. WHERE will you be staying or are you just in Venice for a day from your ship??

There is a lot of great seafood/fish since it is a seagoing area.

Trip Advisor,Chowhound, and Slowtravel are all web sites with lots of info on restaurants.

We are staying at the hotel olympia and will be there for two nights prior to the cruise, I was hoping for a personal recommendation from a restaurant someone has been too. When we were in italy a couple of years ago we went to some fantastic places, I dont want to go to the touristy places..just really good food!

I don't have a rec right in the area where you are staying.

These are places I have enjoyed .Most are VERY small so you'll need to have your hotel make reservations for you, especially if you are there on a weekend!

La Zucca-just past CampoGiacomo del orio

La Bitta( only meat no fish)-near Ca Rezzonico

Vini da Gigio-off the Strada Nova in Cannarreggio

Riviera-romantic upscale facing the Giudecca Canal

Cantina Gia Schiave-cicchetti(appetizers)also facing /near the Giudecca canal

ai Sportivi--lunch/ pizza in Campo Santa Margherita

Al Casin dei Nobili--near the Academia

Al Paradiso- all time favorite for my friend who spends 3 weeks 2X per year in Venice!!--near the Rialto bridge

Some of these have web sites.

Some you can Google and find more reviews.

Have a great time!! Venice is my favorite city in Italy!!

We ate in two places in Dorsoduro that we liked, both within a half mile or so of where you're staying.

One is Ristorate Riviera, on Sestiere Dorsoduro. If I hadn't already been there and enjoyed it I'd probably be a bit put off by the fact that they have a web site with pages in several languages, but it's really good. It also has a beautiful waterfront location. Web site is here: http://www.ristoranteriviera.it/eng/locale.htm

The second is Trattoria Due Torri, in Campo Santa Margherita. I was only here in the winter, but I assume they have outdoor seating in the warmer months. I couldn't find a web site for this place, which was more informal than the Riviera.

Here are a couple of wonderful suggestions for Venice. Sadly, not everything is great in this town. There are a certain number of "tourist traps" to avoid.

Below is a picture of the great location of Da Raffaelle. We had a great meal here in a spectacular setting. This place gets wonderful marks from the Eyewitness books. There was also an outdoor dining area in front of the La Fenice Opera House where we had a wonderful lunch there.

One secret is to do some asking where you are staying and/or of others you meet there for their "local" suggestions. Then . . . apply the eyeball test! If it looks touristy and the people sitting there (or the staff) are bored and uninterested, then that place probably should be avoided. If it looks like there are locals there and/or they are enjoying it, then it will probably be very good. Or maybe even better!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 27,375 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Along a canal, this is Da Raffaelle where we had an outdoor table right next to the waterway. Wonderful food and spectacular setting. It is located at Ponte delle Ostreghe 2347. It is west of San Marco Square and south of La Fenice Opera House.:

VeniceCanalDiningRaffae.jpg

Wow thanks for all the great suggestions I am going to slowly check them all out. When we were in positano we went to this family restaurant where the nonna was cooking and was it ever out of this world! I wish I could find someplace like that in venice, but I see lots of good choices above thanks!

There is a wonderful book called "CHOW! VENICE" (Savoring the Food and Wine of La Serenissima) by Shannon Essa and Ruth Edenbaum that tells you everything you need to know about eating in Venice. Anytime I visit there I always have it with me. I am sure you can get it on Amazon for a good price.

Chow Venice is indeed a great book!!

The B&B where I often stay , Ca Angeli, has a copy in the living room and it is WELL marked with places that other guests have enjoyed!!

Many of the really small restaurants (I am talking maybe 6 tables)don't even have web sites so your hotel will really have to make the reservations for you.

Al Paradiso is not a low cost meal.

Of course it will depend on what you order and what type of wine etc. If you had 3 courses each : appetizer or pasta(perhaps share one of those instead of 2)+ main dish, dessert coffee wine etc it could easily be 140euro.

IF you share, have a lower price wine then it would be less but I don't think you would get away with much less than 125e.

IF you went for lunch it would be less money and they would probably have a 3 course set price tourist menu.

Most restaurants have menus and prices in the window so you can see if the food and the prices appeal to you.

We are staying at the hotel olympia and will be there for two nights prior to the cruise, I was hoping for a personal recommendation from a restaurant someone has been too. When we were in italy a couple of years ago we went to some fantastic places, I dont want to go to the touristy places..just really good food!

I cannot recommend a restaurant to go to, but can recommend that you do NOT go to the restaurant right next to the Olimpia. When we went it was raining so no sitting outside. They put the tourists in the front room while the locals seem to go in the back. I had scampi which was good and my friend had chicken scalopini which she said was just ok, expensive, but served with no sides. The service though is awful! There is apparently a good restaurant just around the corner but don't know the name. :o

Just for general info :

Restaurants in Italy do NOT generally serve "sides" with a main dish

'Contornos"--veggies etc are ordered separately

Pasta is a separate course and does not come with the main dish like in the USA.

Water is also ordered separately and paid for separately.

There is often a charge called: pan e coperto-- for the bread and table service- it is not a scam or a tip it is just customary to charge a bit extra for actual sit down service.

Sometimes in addition there is a "service charge" It should be listed on the menu before you order.

Tipping is not like in the USA either. You can just round up the total bill to the nearest euro, or IF you really like the service leave 10% or so.

Thanks for this information-so much to learn-I really would like to eat one really nice meal in Venice and the other times just a snack here and there. I am not a fish eater so I am wondering if they have things like "just spagetti with maranara" simple things like that-I do love bread so I guess I will be paying extra. Wine is good but I could live without it too but not the bread. (lol) thanks again for the help dot

How big is al Paradiso? I ask because it started small but right now I have 18 people who want to go and didnt know if they could handle that. We dont all have to sit at the same table and we have friends arriving on monday I thought could make reservations for all of us on thursday but I would like to make sure they could handle all of us.

Thanks for all the info on it

Janet, I'd e-mail your hotel and ask them about the res at Al Paradiso. 18 is a very large group for any restaurant! It should be made sooner rather than later! I am trying to picture it and I cannot see it well in my mind.

Thanks I never thought of that Ill do it today!

Just FYI, I ALWAYS have my hotel make restaurant reservations for me in Europe UNLESS the restaurant has a really easy web site that offers that option. Italy is a VERY polite country so I'd ask the hotel for "help" to do this and thank them profusely!!

The hotel pushed it back to me, they suggested I call them directly. The restaurant doesnt have a website that I see..a little nervous about calling...i can understand italian better than I can speak it! But most of them speak english, they have a skype number so I was going to try and give them a call but it will have to wait until tomorrow as I have my nephew here today and I think its a call better made without him here lol

Archived