Did You Miss a Port?

MagnoliaFly

Have you ever had a port cancelled completely after sailing began?  

232 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a port cancelled completely after sailing began?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but it was replaced with a different port

I'm wondering how often this happens on cruises that have 2+ ports scheduled.

My first cruise we missed the first port due to weather. Some of the other passengers said that particular port (Grand Cayman) is missed about 70% of the time so it wasn't a big surprise to them. The big problem was the fact that it was a tender port so the little boats didn't have a chance with 20 foot waves.

On the cruises you've been on how often have you missed a port completely and not had it replaced with something else?

Yep, on a 2 port atlantic crossing. Hurricane Otto was messing things up in the Southern Atlantic and Ponta Delgada was going to be sitting in a high pressure zone around the time we were to be there. The captain made the decision to sail a more southerly route to go around the weather, so we missed Ponta Delgada (our 2nd stop) coasted by Madeira about 50 miles offshore and weren't too far away from the Canaries (but couldn't afford the time to call in there).

Oh well, we were reimbursed the $8 port charges....:D

We had all ports canceled after sailing! :eek: Destiny, Valentine's Day 2000

We had the entire itinerary changed as well as the ship before sailing, We were supposed to sail Ecstasy to Cozumel and Calica departing Halloween 2005. Instead we sailed Elation to Progreso and Vera Cruz.

Yes, but not with Carnival.

This past October, we took a 4-day to the Bahamas with NCL. The weather was horrible...wind and waves the whole time. Plates slid off of the tables. The first day we ported in Freeport, but all water excursions/activities were canceled. It was raining and there was nothing to do.

The second day we were supposed to port at Nassau. The captain tried and tried, but we could not get in. By late afternoon, they finally rounded up enough tugs to pull us in. We were allowed to get off of the ship that evening and then we stayed at Nassau all of the next day instead of going to NCL's private island.

The poor captain, he sounded so tired and frustrated. It's was disappointing for us, but we could clearly see the reason we couldn't port. The waves were so bad, it took me a full week to recover from the rocking once we got back on land. I was more seasick afterward than on the boat!

-pitterpattershoppe

I too have missed a port but not with Carnival.

Back in September we had to miss coco cay due to a tropical depression in the gulf. We then went to Nassau but all excursions were cancelled. It was an awesome cruise but we didn't get a very dry vacation.

Our missed port was Cozumel, due to the Swine Flu. When we left Galveston on Sunday everything was a go. By Tuesday April 28, 2009, Carnival has made the decision not to call on any ports in Mexico. Since we were already going to Jamaica and Grand Cayman they could find no other port for us, so we had another day at sea. Of course this is really unusual. At least we made it into Grand Cayman, otherwise it would have been a 7 day cruise with a 1 day stop in Jamaica :eek:.

Sharon

I forgot about the entire Mexico fiasco with H1N1 when no ships were docking. We didn't find out until into the first sea day that we weren't going anywhere. We did end up getting a berth in Nassau, was completely disappointed and hated the Imagination. Oh well. C'est la vie.

Missed GC in November 08 due to high winds, keeping fingers crossed that we will make it there this March.

Me too! I was really disappointed we missed it. Hoping I can see it in March.

BTW...we've never missed Grand Cayman.

I wonder if it has something to do with the time of year?

We missed Grand Cayman on our FOS, January 9th cruise.

:(

I think the only good thing about missing a port is getting reimbursed port charges and drinking those up at the bar.

On my second cruise on the Caribbean Princess, Halifax got canceled due to the threat of Earl but it got replaced with Manhattan, woopie :mad: (we live 2 hrs from the city) due to the QM2 calling in Brooklyn, and she got priority, although alittle off topic seeing the Carnival Miracle pulling in NYC that day was wonderful, it really made my day :D(she missed Nassau due to Earl)

Archived