What Will You Be Reading on Next Cruise and Will It Be Book, Kindle or Nook?

aussieg3

Has to be Kindle for me - best thing I ever bought! I read a lot so was running out of room on my bookshelves! And as others have said, so easy for a holiday - all those books in one little space!

Reading on an iPad. It not only has the iPad book program, but it also has the Amazon Kindle book program.

Not sure what I'll actually be reading in 3 months - that's too far away. Just finished reading "The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo" trilogy.

Using my I pad

If you enjoyed the girl with the dragon tatto trilogy try "The hunger games "by Suzanne Collins

I prefer books. I have problems seeing the electronic screen - serious eye strain! Plus, I belong to several book exchange programs were I receive or trade my books for free (so I have thousands of books in my house and hardly paid for any of them) I usually bring about 15-20 paperbacks on a cruise, and then leave them in the ship's library when I finish reading them. They are registered on the bookcrossing website, so I can track their journey as other people pick them up.

Hi, have you actually tried a Kindle? I would agree with you if it was a tablet or laptop, but the Kindle screen is very easy on the eye, looks just like a book page.

Mine is a Kindle every time.

Jean

I took a tablet with the Kindle app on it with some downloaded books. The only problem I had was trying to read it outside was not very successful because of the glare in the screen. The good thing was that the weather wasn't particularly greatso most of the time I read in the Crows Nest bar.

It'll be an actual Kindle next time.

We both have Kindles and we take a spare Kindle with us as well, just in case.

I'm a speed-reader so the Kindle has been an absolute boon to me for travelling. No more lugging suitcases full of heavy paper books. :)

I always carry some ziplock bags to put our Kindles into in situations where they could get sandy/dusty/wet. We have Kindle Keyboards so they work fine, not sure how it would work with Fires or PaperWhites. I also have a TrendyDigital waterproof cover which is more reliable if I want to read while actually sitting in a pool or bath.

As to what I'll be reading - well, my cruise is a long way off so who knows. I typically have over 100 books to be read on my Kindle as I take advantage of Kindle Daily Deals and other bargains. I like to read light fiction when travelling and, where possible, enjoy books set in the locations I'm travelling to.

Since you have multiple Kindles - can you download the same book on 2 kindles from your Amazon acct? I have an HDX and was thinking about a refurb paperwhite for outside reading. Would I have to reload everything from the HDX back to the cloud and then to the paperwhite?

Also love the free books! and the Kindle Deals

I took a tablet with the Kindle app on it with some downloaded books. The only problem I had was trying to read it outside was not very successful because of the glare in the screen. The good thing was that the weather wasn't particularly greatso most of the time I read in the Crows Nest bar.

It'll be an actual Kindle next time.

I bought a really good quality anti-glare protective screen for my tablet and it has made a HUGE difference for reading on the balcony etc. It was highly rated on Amazon and I'd definitely agree with the reviews.

Since you have multiple Kindles - can you download the same book on 2 kindles from your Amazon acct? I have an HDX and was thinking about a refurb paperwhite for outside reading. Would I have to reload everything from the HDX back to the cloud and then to the paperwhite?

If you go to "manage your Kindle" on your account you can down load to any number of Kindles that you own. I take my old Kindle reader for when I am in the sun but also take my Kindle Fire with the apps that I use and the same books as the reader so that if I am indoors I can read on either Kindle.

If you go to "manage your Kindle" on your account you can down load to any number of Kindles that you own. I take my old Kindle reader for when I am in the sun but also take my Kindle Fire with the apps that I use and the same books as the reader so that if I am indoors I can read on either Kindle.

Thanks Josy

now that I think about it, I download books on my phone when I forget my kindle and need something to read during lunch - then when I go back to the kindle, it even remembers the page. I forgot about that.

Yes, you can, and if you turn syncing off two people can read the same book at the same time. Syncing on means that if you have a book on two devices it will always open at the latest page you have read.

All your books are stored in the Amazon archives/cloud. You don't have to load them up from the HDX. The best way to download to a new device is to go to "Manage Your Content and Devices" on a computer and download the books you want from there. You don't have to download all your books, only the ones you want to read.

Hubby has his books on his Kindle, I have mine on my Kindle, and before a big trip I download the current books that are on both our Kindles onto the spare, just in case.

Freebies and Kindle Daily Deals are brilliant. I've banned myself from looking at the Freebies threads on the Amazon forum, I was buying too many books LOL.

I still prefer good old fashioned books to the digital variety! Maybe someday I will move into the future but I still like the feel of crisp pages in my hand and reading from paper!

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I always said that I would never stray from actual books, but then my boyfriend bought me a Nook for my birthday and I love it!

I'll be reading the newest Stephanie Plum book by Janet Evanovich on my Nook. I'm super excited about it! I have several books downloaded so who knows what I'll read after that.

June 17th! I'll be downloading it first thing in the morning and will probably have it finished by the end of the day - then I can go back to the book I interrupted! I love Stephanie Plum! Although the last couple of books haven't had me laughing at her exploits as much as the first 10-12. Unless Janet Evanovich decides to release a new Stephanie Plum in March before I go on my cruise, I'll not be reading any Plum novels while cruising. :(

I'll be reading the newest Stephanie Plum book by Janet Evanovich on my Nook. I'm super excited about it! I have several books downloaded so who knows what I'll read after that.

Janet Evanovich is the bomb! The only thing is though, reading her is so embarassing cos you can't help but laugh out loud! Love my Kindle!

I read a lot normally and even more on cruises. I'll be using my Ipad. Now I can make sure it's preloaded with 20+ books and I can take my pick based on what mood I'm in. Took me a long time to convert to digital but since I read so much, just the amount of space it clears up in my suitcase is amazing - not to mention the amount of money I've saved.

Janet Evanovich is the bomb! The only thing is though, reading her is so embarassing cos you can't help but laugh out loud! Love my Kindle!

I know! I had a whole construction site stop and look at me because I was laughing so loud and I was all by myself sitting at the pool! And the best part was - it didn't bother me at all! :):o

I usually read something about the history of the places we are traveling. But this time, I think I'll be using my time to catch up on "Unfinished Tales" by Tolkien. We are traveling in the baltic and I've read books on Catherine the Great of Russia. As well as last year's book - Queen Emma and the Vikings. I think this summer will be for fun! .... And I've finished the latest Stephanie Plumb! :o

Edited by CCKitty

We do a lot of reading on our trips (we travel over 6 months a year) and are hooked on our basic Kindles (not the Kindle Fire). Kindles use a technology they call E-ink which looks very much like a book. It works perfectly well in bright sunlight when most other reading devices (like a Nook) do very poorly. The new Kindles even have back lighting so they can be used in darkened rooms. And the best part is that they still cost less then $100. Because of the low cost we do not hesitate to take ours on the beach.

Hank

I'll probably bring a hardback because I do love the feel of a book in my hands. That said, I'll also bring my table with Kobo installed and several more books. I understand there is a Kindle app for Android machines, too; I may see about downloading that and getting a Kindle account as well.

The tablet also has the advantage that once we get to London, I can use it to upload pics from my camera's card to my Flickr, and it will definitely be easier to keep myself entertained on the flight from London back home (10 hours - arg!)

On my first (and only cruise) I read the book 'safe haven' by Nicholas sparks. It was a great book, I really enjoyed it!

I am going on another cruise in august and I will be taking my kindle, i think I'll start the game of thrones series :)

Newbie cruiser!

I also have the plain Kindle and it is great. I mean, I have tons of books at home that I love but for traveling you can't beat the Kindle. Turn off the wi-fi and the battery lasts days without recharging. And I cannot afford the cost of an extra suitcase just to bring my books with me :rolleyes:.

As far as what I will be reading I cannot say, our cruise is 14 weeks away. Probably science fiction since that is my favorite genre.