Snorkel equipment

hermajestylanie

Doing this for awhile, own your mask- your face is 'your face' - but you can rent-snorkel- definitely own this one- who wants one that's been in somebody's mouth- if you think you'll ever snorkel again, buy a 'dry snorkel'- it's worth every penny- fins- check currents- you can rent, many ports not needed- too much 'noise' just float/drift- much better

I like to use my own mask, snorkel and fins. Yes the fins take up space, but I will also go snorkel on my own and dont want to deal with rentals. In Hawaii once I felt sick from the soapy water they kept the masks and snorkels in. Ever since then, I always bring my own.

Thanks everyone! This is good news. We just bought a really great set with short fins and dry snorkel and the masks fit like a dream. It all fits in this small backpack thing for easy travel and I was dreading the thought of using the sets provided. Cdamion, I have also gotten sick from that gross soapy water. I spent about 10 minutes spitting that taste out of my mouth!

You certainly can take your own, I do but am thinking of getting a smaller pair of flippers so that they pack easier.

I purchased shorter fins and am glad I did. They not only take up less luggage space, but are much easier to snorkel with. I finally realized I didn't need to "power" snorkel.:p

I've been pleased with U.S. Diver's Hydroflex. They have an open, adjustable heel which I prefer.

Check with your local scuba shop.

I purchased shorter fins and am glad I did. They not only take up less luggage space, but are much easier to snorkel with. I finally realized I didn't need to "power" snorkel.:p

I've been pleased with U.S. Diver's Hydroflex. They have an open, adjustable heel which I prefer.

I just bought a pair of shorter flippers, also, and DW is picking hers up today from the scuba shop.

We are looking forward to trying them.

I never brought along fins, I found it much better to drift or swim slowly- you see much more. I finally bought the short swim fins before our cruise to St Lucia. I knew that there would be some good currents to deal with. Now I won't leave home without them. I still like to drift, but they make getting back to shore/boat much easier

Thanks for the tip.:)

I have my own and agree with the advise on the dry snorkle being a must. As far as fins - I have Zip fins which are short and have a split in the blade. It also has an adjustable heel strap. I used to take them with me but stopped doing so. The main reason is its added weight to my luggage. I do still take a snorkel vest incase I go to one of those places that require it. It's lightweight and doesn't take up much room.

I never brought along fins, I found it much better to drift or swim slowly- you see much more. I finally bought the short swim fins before our cruise to St Lucia. I knew that there would be some good currents to deal with. Now I won't leave home without them. I still like to drift, but they make getting back to shore/boat much easier

I HIGHLY recommend taking fins. You just don't know if you are going to encounter a current and it makes it much easier to navigate. It is not as much of an issue if you go out with a ship excursion, but if you go on your own, it is much safer. Also, it allows you to travel further distances if the reef is further from shore.

After an excursion in Moorea where they didn't supply fins ... and I had to be rescued as I couldn't get back to the boat against the current... fins are a must for us.

We have all our own gear, which in some ports means we can snorkel from shore on our own (buddy system of course!). My wife also got a prescription mask, making it easier for her to see the fish. We got our gear from a local dive shop, and it all fits first time, every time, meaning in some cases we can get extra time in the water while others are sorting out the right sizes and adjusting equipment to fit. Our snorkels have splash guards which are enough, and the bottom of the snorkel has a relief valve (another must) so one can blow out any water easily. My fins also have the advantage of a "quick release" strap which make them a lot easier to get off when trying to climb back into the snorkel boat. We also have our own vests.

On Princess excursions we have found about half the people bring their own gear. You always know whose mouth has been on that air valve or last used the snorkel - yours! It takes about half of our 24" suitcase, but is well worth it.

Do visit your local dive shop, at least for recommendations. Had I bought online I would have gotten fins too small for my body weight. One last thing - get a backpack type of carrier, even if it a mesh material, as it makes equipment so much easier to carry.

Most people who snorkel do so for the fish. Yes, the fish are colorful and to see a school up close is amazing, but many miss the 'other stuff'- crustaceans, invertabrates, hard and soft corals etc. Take your time and enjoy all the beauty that lies beneath the oceans

I was one of those who thought I didn't need fins. Even though DH uses them, I rarely go as far as he does, content to take my time. I quickly found, to my embarrassment, that staying close in doesn't guarantee not getting caught in a current. I too had to be rescued. DH had gone back to the beach and fallen asleep. Fortunately, strangers noticed my distress. If there's any chance that we'll be DIYing snorkeling, the fins travel with us. And if there's any way possible to get them in our luggage, we'll take them even if we aren't planning DIY, for the same reason as Times Prince--sometimes you get to spend quite a bit longer in the water if you have your own equipment.

Archived