Buy CCL stock today?

DaveOKC

Earnings forecast looks weaker than expected and stock should open below $40. If you buy 100 shares, cost is $4000 for which you get $100 in dividends a year (2.5%) and if you cruise once a year your stock promo deal nets you another $100 (2.5%).

DaveOKC

Earnings forecast looks weaker than expected and stock should open below $40. If you buy 100 shares, cost is $4000 for which you get $100 in dividends a year (2.5%) and if you cruise once a year your stock promo deal nets you another $100 (2.5%).

DaveOKC

Huh? Why did I only get $40 in dividends last year? That couldn't be because I paid less for my 100 shares? :confused:

Oh, and I do know the "stock promo deal" can get you up to $250 per cruise, depending upon length (and maybe category?). No limit to the number of cruises that can apply to. It's the main reason I bought it to begin with.

Huh? Why did I only get $40 in dividends last year? That couldn't be because I paid less for my 100 shares? :confused:

Recently, don't recall how many weeks/months ago, the dividend was upped to 25 cents/share ... I think it takes effect with the first dividend of 2011.

Recently, don't recall how many weeks/months ago, the dividend was upped to 25 cents/share ... I think it takes effect with the first dividend of 2011.

Ahh - Thank you, Camp. I guess I don't pay enough attention, especially since I didn't buy this for the growth or income. :)

It is ironic to me that a stock I bought just for the stockholder benefit has been my best investment (yes... I bought TWA and Lucent in the past). I didn't even know it paid dividends either.

LOL - and I bought UAL at $41.

I bought my CCL back in 2004 when it was about $44 a share then bought a bit more when it was about $39. Should of bought a lot more when it dropped much lower but that was when money was much tighter :o Between dividends and all the stock credit from over 20 cruises (3 are upcoming cruises) in my opinion we have done quite well.

But the best was buying RCI stock, we were going on the Solstice last year so I sold some other non performing stock and bought 100 shares of RCI when it was about $22.00 a share, then several weeks ago it hit a high of $49.80 and I sold :D Figured there was no way I was going back on a Royal Caribbean ship (three times was enough) and yes I probably will go on Celebrity again but thought it was better to take my money and run ;)

I might be inclined to wait until tensions in the Middle East and fuel prices stabilize a bit - CCL has had a nice run from the bottom.

Basically, that might mean waiting it out for the summer. After the overall market correction shakes out CCL might be good for a bounce but again fuel costs are the killer.

JMO

Can someone give me information on the On Board Credit if I own CCL stock.

I am cruising on HAL this Sunday and wondering if I buy 100 CCL shares on Tradeking today - can I claim onboard credit for the upcoming cruise?

Is there a limit per cruise or number of cruises per year?

Thanks for your help everyone!

I am cruising on HAL this Sunday and wondering if I buy 100 CCL shares on Tradeking today - can I claim onboard credit for the upcoming cruise?

As your cruise leaves Sunday, it is probably too late for that now. Proof of ownership has to be sent to the Seattle office in advance of the cruise. IIRC, there is an "official" cut-off date for requests (something like 30 days before the cruise), but I've read of some who applied later and received the OBC. Never heard of anyone buying it on the last business day before departure and getting OBC, though. AFAIK, this is not something that can be arranged once aboard ship.

From the current SHAREHOLDER BENEFIT statement:

"Application to receive these benefits should be made at least two weeks prior to cruise departure date".

we bought the stock years ago when it was about $12 a share

and back then we were cruising 3 and 4 times a year and got shipboard credit for each cruise

it has really paid off for us

Wow! Very impressive! It must make those cruises even more enjoyable!!!

you can buy it today -- but it is too late to get the onboard credit for your cruise -- you have to summit proof of purchase at least 2 weeks before departure date

Last year it provided us with $500 shipboard credit. $250 each on the HAL Maasdam 35 day cruise and $250 on the Princess Nov. 14 day cruise.

We are taking a HAL Baltic cruise June 2 and will send our info again and get some more shipboard credit. Need it for that one, ship tours on the Baltic cruise, especially for St. Petersburg are very pricey.

I realize the dividend has increased but we will soon get back all our money if we keep taking those cruises. We also use those future cruise deposit certificates which gives us extra as well.

Quite an incentive to cruise with CCL type cruise ships.

Archived