Indochine Illuminations: On board reports

WesW

well almost--below are pre cruise cliff notes:

First, props go to PaulaJK for her encouragement/experience in sailing Regent WC segments that helped us seriously consider booking a WC segment and ultimatley, led us to book this Indochine Illuminations WC segment.

Second, we won't post on board until Wednesday..but wanted to add some context on how we get to Hong Kong in order to board the Voyager. In other words, it takes a wonderful itinerary for us to consider spending so much time in an airplane to cruise.

Brief cliff notes, first, last Friday, we did get our anti malarial meds and shots prior to our Asia Adventure. I made special arrangements with my DW's internist to administer her the special AS (Anti Shopping shot) immunization booster. This will reduce strong impulse/desire to buy silk, jade, or rubies in Asia :)

We board the Voyager Wednesday about noon for Indochine Illuminations--WC segment--Hong Kong to Bangkok. We will have the following ports; gorgeous Halong Bay, Da Nang, two days in Ho Chi Minn City (Saigon), Sihanookville (Cambodia), and Bangkok (Thailand).

We are now in Toronto (in the KLM lounge (Cathay Pacific partner), after two flights from Atlanta (ATL to NY (LGA) and LGA to Toronto). We have one flight to go (15 hrs on Cathay Pacific) We to expect arrive HK at 7:10 pm on Tuesday night. We are staying at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong for one night and then plan to board the Voyager before noon on the 30th. Our next post will either be from the Grand Hyatt tomorrow night, if not, then our first on board report will be Wednesday after a fab lunch on board the Voyager.

We hope to meet with at least a half dozen Indochine Illuminations segment sailors and (hopefully) at least one WC couple for drinks in the Observation Lounge Wednesday night.

Look very forward to taking you along with us on our Indochine Illumination--very special--WC Voyager segment.

Hi Wes,

Enjoy your trip.

I did a very similar itinerary last month but it was a land based itinerary. Did it because we just couldnt find an itinerary we liked on either Silversea, Regent or Azamara. We were able to cruise Ha Long in a junk.

Will you be going to Angkor Wat? That was a highlight of our trip.

Keep the reports coming for us land locked folk.

Miriam

well almost--below are pre cruise cliff notes:

First, props go to PaulaJK for her encouragement/experience in sailing Regent WC segments that helped us seriously consider booking a WC segment and ultimatley, led us to book this Indochine Illuminations WC segment.

Second, we won't post on board until Wednesday..but wanted to add some context on how we get to Hong Kong in order to board the Voyager. In other words, it takes a wonderful itinerary for us to consider spending so much time in an airplane to cruise.

Brief cliff notes, first, last Friday, we did get our anti malarial meds and shots prior to our Asia Adventure. I made special arrangements with my DW's internist to administer her the special AS (Anti Shopping shot) immunization booster. This will reduce strong impulse/desire to buy silk, jade, or rubies in Asia :)

We board the Voyager Wednesday about noon for Indochine Illuminations--WC segment--Hong Kong to Bangkok. We will have the following ports; gorgeous Halong Bay, Da Nang, two days in Ho Chi Minn City (Saigon), Sihanookville (Cambodia), and Bangkok (Thailand).

We are now in Toronto (in the KLM lounge (Cathay Pacific partner), after two flights from Atlanta (ATL to NY (LGA) and LGA to Toronto). We have one flight to go (15 hrs on Cathay Pacific) We to expect arrive HK at 7:10 pm on Tuesday night. We are staying at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong for one night and then plan to board the Voyager before noon on the 30th. Our next post will either be from the Grand Hyatt tomorrow night, if not, then our first on board report will be Wednesday after a fab lunch on board the Voyager.

We hope to meet with at least a half dozen Indochine Illuminations segment sailors and (hopefully) at least one WC couple for drinks in the Observation Lounge Wednesday night.

Look very forward to taking you along with us on our Indochine Illumination--very special--WC Voyager segment.

Looking forward to your on board posts, Wes. We did almost the exact itinerary last fall on the Silver Shadow. After the cruise went to Angkor Wat for three days which was a highlight for us. Great trip! Enjoy and safe travels!

Good luck. Wes & Ida. Barbara & I have been looking forward to this cruise almost as much as you two. Keep clear of the Michael Jackson look=alike in the Krew Kapers show ;)

I'm confused; Why "keep clear of the Michael Jackson look-alike"?

I'm confused; Why "keep clear of the Michael Jackson look-alike"?

I promised Ida that I wouldn't keep on about it, so don't tell anyone else but at Krew Kapers on a recent transatlantic cruise we shared with Wes and Ida, Barbara and I sat behind Wes and Ida who were on the front row. A waiter was a Michael Jackson look alike, and a good one too. At the end of one of his numbers he picked out Ida to dance with. Well Ida is a really good mover and showed him up a bit, so he transferred his attentions to Wes, stroking his hair and whispering sweet nothings. Wes took it in good part though. The waiter in La Veranda next morning told me how he enjoyed it and it helped his act to have guests play along.

Now don't tell anyone else!

Thanks for the wonderful cruise well wishes; Beth, Tom&Barbara (well barbara anyway since Tom is so talkative), Nancy, Miriam, Mr & Mrs. Pincus and ChicagoGal.We're now in the gorgeous Grand Hyatt, Hong Kong after the most relaxing 15+hr flight we've taken. Cathay Pacific is an exceptional airline. The Hong Kong airport is huge, modern and immaculate. Convenient immigration control and then baggage pick-up. We arranged for private transportation and made it the the GH HKK in about 40 minutes. We were fortunate and upgraded to the Grand Harbor view executive club rooms (located on the 31-35 floors). (altho, it is now night in HK (1055pm) you have wall to ceiling view of the HK harbor). We also will rcve complimentary access to the executive lounge (drinks and breakfast). Ida and I unpacked our workout clothes for the morning then went down to the 30th floor exec lounge for a glass of champagne to toast the magnificent Harbor view here at the Grand Hyatt. Before our toast we toured the fitness facility--outstanding, with the largest outdoor lap pool (on the 11th floor too) I have seen. Also, there is a 400m jogging track that circles the pool area--just incredible that this wonderful fitness area is 11 floors up. There is lush landscaping--greenery everywhere--this is fitness heaven here at the Grand Hyatt. We will get a good morning workout in (told Ida no time for shopping..hee, hee), breakfast and then on to the Voyager.Ida and I plan to leave the hotel at 11am enrourte to boarding the Voyager. After we board, have lunch and get our suite do expect Ida to enjoy some downtown HK shopping...maybe take a Regent shuttle (if available)

Glad you and Ida are safely in Hong Kong Wes. Yes, the Hong Kong airport is nothing short of amazing. Glad you got upgraded, too bad you missed the evening light show. Expect you can see the Voyager docked downtown.

Have a great cruise. I leave for 2 weeks of cars in Germany tomorrow.

Dave

David, one of the best morning views right from our bed as we opened our drapes...less than a half mile away from the Grand Hyatt in the the Hong Kong Harbor is the Voyager...we can even read the Regent emblem...perfect way to start our cruise boarding day. Xrvlcruiser...yes Routh is super entertainer, outstanding server, genuinely warm/friendly person. Rachel, am afraid when Ida meets Karen the Anti Shopping vacinne will become worthless.We're absololutely impressed with the Grand Hyatt...service & amentities have been best we have rcvd yet.Last comment before we board and Off Topic but it may have interest to some of our fellow Regent CCr's. We enjoyed our flights from Atlanta (return included) for frequent flyer miles we earned. We not only got our pre cruise hotel here at Grand Hyatt, HK, but our post cruise hotel at Grand Hyatt Bangkok complimentary. Total cost was 220,000 AAmiles ($212 taxes) anda $75 fee for a Hyatt credit card that included as a benefit two nights at any Hyatt resort world wide. I know at least half of dozen CCr's also share in our hobby (besides posting on CC) of collecting ff miles and hotel points..but wanted to share this brief experience to illustrate how much fun & $$ u can save. Props go the frugaltravelguy.com website--a good place to start if u care to learn.

David, one of the best morning views right from our bed as we opened our drapes...less than a half mile away from the Grand Hyatt in the the Hong Kong Harbor is the Voyager...we can even read the Regent emblem...perfect way to start our cruise boarding day. Xrvlcruiser...yes Routh is super entertainer, outstanding server, genuinely warm/friendly person. Rachel, am afraid when Ida meets Karen the Anti Shopping vacinne will become worthless.We're absololutely impressed with the Grand Hyatt...service & amentities have been best we have rcvd yet.Last comment before we board and Off Topic but it may have interest to some of our fellow Regent CCr's. We enjoyed our flights from Atlanta (return included) for frequent flyer miles we earned. We not only got our pre cruise hotel here at Grand Hyatt, HK, but our post cruise hotel at Grand Hyatt Bangkok complimentary. Total cost was 220,000 AAmiles ($212 taxes) anda $75 fee for a Hyatt credit card that included as a benefit two nights at any Hyatt resort world wide. I know at least half of dozen CCr's also share in our hobby (besides posting on CC) of collecting ff miles and hotel points..but wanted to share this brief experience to illustrate how much fun & $$ u can save. Props go the frugaltravelguy.com website--a good place to start if u care to learn.

Wayne said to tell you the AS vaccine didn't "take" for me.

Sitting out on our balcony eating our breakfast. Look forward to meeting both of you later today.

Karen

Sorry, duplicate post.

Welcome Back, Welcome Back, and Welcome Back...such comforting words to hear the moment we boarded the Voyager again at 11:30am this morning. First from Captain Mario and his wife Marianna (hugs all around) and the Gen Mgr, Michael Coghlan, then

Sylvester (Asst M'd) in La Veranda, and Melissa (from So Africa) bartender in the Observation lounge. Our checkin was seamless; we went directly to reception to get our suite keys, went to our suite and met Rodylin our stewardess. Then after a very nice lunch at La Veranda (very nice to see Benjamin (sommelier--u can't miss Benjamin as he is 6 ft 8 inches tall) and Roderick (waiter in LV) both will get off (like us, sign) in Bangkok (10 days from now). At 1:30pm we had to go through an immigration station set up in the constellation theater (just to verify our picture in our passport is actually us) for about 35 of us new segmentees. Next recurring mandatory drill is the lifeboat drill at 5:15 followed by our sailaway from Hong Kong.

Anna Love is the performer tonight featuring fav/fam songs including: Fever, All the Jazz, Summertime. Dinner and a Show will return to Signatures from March 31st through April 5th. Gloria Loring (Hollywood star, Days of our Lives, singer).

Rachel, the Ocean Terminal we had to go through (has many high end shops...like a giant mall) to board the Voyager has been a good test for the AS vaccine--no damage to report yet.

To be continued.

Wes, you mentioned a number of our favorite people. We just got off the Voyager in Beijing. Sylvester was terrific when we saw him in the morning at La Verandah and then in the evening at Compass Rose. Did Benjamin shrink? I thought that he told us he was 6'10"! He's so slim that he looks even taller. Of course, he also looks like he's about 15. We very much enjoyed meeting Michael Coghlan and his wife Stephanie Baldwin, who got off the ship in Taiwan for a professional engagement back in the States. Michael recently sent me a YouTube post showing an encore performance that we saw live, featuring Donald Cant and Stephanie singing a duet of "Time to Say Goodbye." It was terrific as they both have wonderful voices. Enjoy your cruise. My understanding was that the Voyager was going to be full after our cruise; whereas, it was not during our 25 days.

Wes, you must be extremely popular with CC as your boarding message was sent to me via e-mail notification about 20 times. A glitch in the CC board, am sure but to wake up to so many of the same e-mails was interesting to say the least.

Hope you meet in Observation Lounge and first dinner lived up to your expectations.

Glad you are safely aboard.

And yes, I share your obsession with ff miles and hotel points. It makes me mad when people want us to use our miles (which I have so frugally collected) to get them upgrades. They need to collect their own.

Can't wait to hear all your adventures.

Hi Eugene, David, Wendy and Sue; yes, Benjamin is 6'10"...my bad Eugene...poor memory. Michael is a very responsive GM, yesterday, asked him to have a cooler of iced bottled water for the jogging track--was there at 5:30am today...thought I would see more World Cruisers out exercising this morning, was just two others (walkers)..weather is overcast, about 65, swells only 1-3 ft..gently rocking the Voyager. Yes, Eugene, this segment is nearly full, believe we have about 645 pax out of 700..will find out precisely the numbers tonight at SSS party.

David, Ida and I had a delightful, but brief time with Karen and Wayne in the Obsveration Lounge for drinks last night before the mal de mer monster reared its head (30 min post sailaway we were in 14ft swells for about 45 min) for Ida--she had to leave about 8pm for the suite. I saw Marcelo (P7 M'd) in the hallway earlier and snagged us two rsvns for 8:30pm earlier this afternoon. Went to pick up Ida at 8:25 pm expecting to find her laid up and then joining Karen and Wayne for dinner in Compass Rose but Ida was feeling better (she had popped a meclizine--I take it daily regardless of evening Captain Mario's forecast). Went down to see Karen and Wayne in CR, asked for a Rain Check and met Ida for another outstanding dinner in P7 (she had filet mignon, I had the dover sole (paired with St. Suppery Sauvignon Blanc)..alas, the jet leg monster hit me about 9:30pm and we had to skip desert. Wendy, Melissa has a memory like a trap, she remembered our drink preferences for earlier and politely asked if we took our meclizine. Sue, thanks for Tom and your well wishes...Ida did do some shopping this afternoon before we sailaway...damage (thankfully was under $100 HKD as she bought some nail polish and her Hong Kong Thimble for one her three shadow boxes. She did see an Armani dress for

$46,000 HKD but declined. Rachel, love the ffmile hobby and learning/sharing tricks of the trade....e.g., I go the Chicago end of October for the annual Flyter Talk DO.

Today is a wonderful SE Asia Seaday, chock full of wonderful activities. At 10am is an Indochine lecture, "The History of Vietnam and Cambodia" by Sandra Bowen. Then at 11 am is another enrichment lecuture given by correspondent Morton Dean, "A Reporter's Notebook--The Vietnam War." Exec Chef Klas Reinmueller and team are providing us a special Asian Lunch at the pool grill at noon (anyone for Sushi?). Ida is dragging my two left feet with her to the social dance class at 1:45 with Dieter and Lisa. WE have the Seven Seas Society party at 6pm tonight, Showtime is stand-up Comedty with Jack Mayberry..then post showtime is "Guesstures" with Jamie for fun (am curious by the name and we will check this out)..Did see Jamie at 8 am at the Coffee Corner(thanked him so much for his delightful blog) he was getting coffee (like I was for Ida) for dana...he said, "no morning coffee for dana, no work."

Can't wait for our sail-in to Halong Bay tomorrow morning at 7am...we have the Kayayking excursion in Halong Bay planned.

To be continued, thanks for reading.

Archived