Grand Princess leaving Port Everglades in a thunderstorm (video)

PortFever

Wow! First you don't see it then you do like a ghost ship. She sure looked close to shore. It's a shame that the people on board had such nasty weather for what is a real nice sail-away usually. The way MUTS showed up almost looked like something was wrong on top.

Not so nice for sail-away, but kind of neat. I love thunderstorms and have been waiting for a big one every time we cruise and haven't hit one yet!

Sitting in a Balcony Stateroom or an Ocean view all cozy, would be so cool to watch the lightening and hear the thunder from the safety of your room! :D

So cool of a video with the Grand coming into view out of the white-out of the sheets of rain!

That was a "juicy" thunderstorm. I love them but we seldom get them in So Calif. I sure enjoy them when we're sailing and the skies open up. Thanks for posting. Do you live in those high rise condos?

... Do you live in those high rise condos?

Unfortunately, I don't live there but the Port Everglades Webcam used to make this video is owned and operated from one of those buildings. I live in NorCal and manage archiving plus other aspects of the webcam operation.

Glad so many of you liked this recording which was a speculative "try it and see" effort.

David.

Aah - I loved this video. Not because of the thunderstorm but because I could see the balcony where we spent many happy times on our recent cruise on the Grand. Happy ship - great cruise. Can't wait to go on her again.

PortFever, could you please explain some of the techical stuff going on there? Camera, who operates it. Remote access? Etc...

FWIW, I'd love a sailaway like that! Closest we ever came was some drizzly showers when sailing out of New Orleans, which was just boring.

Archived