Question about Cabin Choice

CMYK_iNK

Hi everyone!

It's been a pleasure reading these boards so far over the past month or so... so helpful and informative.

Finally time for me to post a thread of my own :)

We're booked in for our honeymoon on my second cruise on Holland America and my fiance's first time ever on a cruise. We're on the 24 day Best of Baltic on the Rotterdam in September.

However, we're pretty broke with preparing for our upcoming wedding so we were only able to afford a Category H cabin partial ocean view.

It looks like they are on the very front of the ship with a porthole. We really wanted to at least be able to tell what time of day it by having some kind of view, so we went for the cheapest possible "oceanview" option.

Is this a really bad choice or do you think we will enjoy ourselves? Has anyone stayed in these cabins? Are they loud? Inconvenient? Small? Is it true you can hear the waves loudly slapping the front of the boat?

We'd love to hear your honest thoughts :)

Thanks for your time!

DH and I are of the general opinion that if you are on the ship, it's all good :)

Having the porthole will IMHO make a big difference, vs. having an inside cabin. I was in an H (or similar at the VERY front of the ship with a porthole) about 15 years ago. I could hear some noise from the waves for part of one night. I did an inside cabin last year to AK and will not do that again, if there is a cabin with window or porthole available at a reasonable additional cost in ANY location. I booked an H for our last cruise (but we got moved). Again IMHO being on the ship is the important part -- cabin category is much less important (again JMHO).

Congrats on your upcoming marriage.

Nice cruise for a honeymoon!

You don't say, but I really, really, really hope you have booked a Guarentee! You would have nowhere to go but up.

To me, booking a specific H makes no sense. They are forward and have only portholes. With a Guarentee you would have a chance, some would say a good chance, of getting something much better. Most upgrades would get you a window and you could be forward, aft or midship. Way better.

CowPrincess and SilvertoGold, thank you both very much for your fast and helpful responses :)

Unfortunately I don't know if it is a Guarantee or not.

This is what it says on our travel booking:

---

Cruise:

24 Day Baltic Cruise 07 September 2011

Holland America Cruise Lines - Rotterdam Cruise departs from Rotterdam and ends in Rome

Category H Cabin - Ocean View

---

What do you think?

CowPrincess and SilvertoGold, thank you both very much for your fast and helpful responses :)

Unfortunately I don't know if it is a Guarantee or not.

This is what it says on our travel booking:

---

Cruise:

24 Day Baltic Cruise 07 September 2011

Holland America Cruise Lines - Rotterdam Cruise departs from Rotterdam and ends in Rome

Category H Cabin - Ocean View

---

What do you think?

Did you book with HAL? Phone them and ask. If you booked with a TA, phone them and ask. You should have at very least an invoice that says H1234 or H Guar.

Also, look up your account on the HAL website with the booking number. It should say there. Do your On-line Check-in while you are at it.

Sounds as if you have a Guarentee, but you really should make sure!

Some pick cabins as a personal "statement" . Your wise choice will be just fine, there will be no issues. Its great to be foward too as it has a great sence of being on a ship and the port hole is cool.

Save your money for things that matter.... shore or other romantic adventures. Cabins are a place to sleep... shower and hang your clothes..... nothing more. They should not be status symbols....

By the way, you will not be on a "BOAT"......... you will be on a SHIP.

(nautical rule #234765. : "You can put boat on a ship, but you can't put a ship on a boat" ) Repeat it 3 times each morning till you board.

Enjoy.......

I've spent well over 100 days on this Rotterdam. I'd rather be in a mid-ship inside cabin than a forward H-category cabin.

But, I do agree with Cow Princess that just being on the ship at all is soooo much better than not being on the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Hi everyone!

It's been a pleasure reading these boards so far over the past month or so... so helpful and informative.

Finally time for me to post a thread of my own :)

We're booked in for our honeymoon on my second cruise on Holland America and my fiance's first time ever on a cruise. We're on the 24 day Best of Baltic on the Rotterdam in September.

However, we're pretty broke with preparing for our upcoming wedding so we were only able to afford a Category H cabin partial ocean view.

It looks like they are on the very front of the ship with a porthole. We really wanted to at least be able to tell what time of day it by having some kind of view, so we went for the cheapest possible "oceanview" option.

Is this a really bad choice or do you think we will enjoy ourselves? Has anyone stayed in these cabins? Are they loud? Inconvenient? Small? Is it true you can hear the waves loudly slapping the front of the boat?

We'd love to hear your honest thoughts :)

Thanks for your time!

The H Category on the R class ships, such as the Rotterdam are Porthole Ocean Views and not Partial Ocean Views:)

Here are a couplke of photos from H Category on sister ship Volendam H 1815 (you can click on each photo to see them at full sized) The review of this stateroom on Volendam can be read here: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Volendam/Deck-1.html . Unfortunately, I have no info on Rotterdam's staterooms in this category:

sm-Maureen_1-Volendam-1815.jpg sm-Maureen_Volendam-Porthole-1815.jpg

Joanie

No matter where you end up, pack Bonine or some other medication for seasickness. One pill before you need it could save your honeymoon, especially with your soon-to-be DH being a first-timer.

Congratulations! What a fabulous honeymoon you've planned.

Thanks everyone!

Ruth, can you let me know why you would prefer an inside cabin to a Category H forward cabin? I would love brutal honesty :)

I'm a little worried now, I logged into the Holland America site to check to see if it is a guarantee and now I see that there is no stateroom specified at all. (It says Category H on our sheet from our travel agent)

Do I have to check in online to get my stateroom category? Or is it because we've only paid the deposit on half the cruise cost and we get our stateroom after full payment date?

Thanks all for your help.

Thanks everyone!

Ruth, can you let me know why you would prefer an inside cabin to a Category H forward cabin? I would love brutal honesty :)

I'm a little worried now, I logged into the Holland America site to check to see if it is a guarantee and now I see that there is no stateroom specified at all. (It says Category H on our sheet from our travel agent)

Do I have to check in online to get my stateroom category? Or is it because we've only paid the deposit on half the cruise cost and we get our stateroom after full payment date?

Thanks all for your help.

I'll let Ruth answer your inside cabin question but don't worry about your stateroom - from what you are saying you have a guarantee - you have only one way to go - up:D

I hope your TA let HAL know you were on your honeymoon. Maybe, they will do a nice upgrade for you ;)

congratulations and have a wonderful time.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and wonderful honeymoon plans!!!

I agree, there is nothing to worry or fret about. I would call your TA to verify, but I agree, it does sound like you have a guarentee. You are not the first I have heard who says they have no idea if they have a booked cabin or a guarentee. Some travel agents just aren't doing their job. Your TA should have asked you if you wanted to book a specific cabin or if you wanted a guarentee. Sorry for the confusion for you, but you are a phone call away from getting it cleared up. ;)

Not brutal in the least. It's just that the mid-ship insides have everything the outsides have, except a window and a very few square feet.

I'm partial to the J-category on Lower Promenade, and a favorite K-category on Main on this class of ship.

On the plus side, they are smoother in rough seas, closer to the public rooms in every direction, and have larger vanities in the bathroom. I've never been in a mid-ship inside with a noise problem; I have had some noise far forward and far aft.

Let me reiterate---being on the ship is good all by itself.

No matter where you end up, pack Bonine or some other medication for seasickness. One pill before you need it could save your honeymoon, especially with your soon-to-be DH being a first-timer.

Congratulations! What a fabulous honeymoon you've planned.

They have Bonine at the front desk of all the ships and also at the infirmary. Just go to the front desk and ask for it if you need it.

Good news, so I confirmed with Holland America that it is a Category H guarantee. So we'll see how it goes. Thanks everyone for your help and advice!

My only fear for you would be that you would get that forward port hole and then have a rough day or night at sea. This is your honeymoon and you mention that your soon-to-be wife has not been on a cruise. Being forward in rough seas will mean more movement and possibly some slamming due to the bows tendency to rock though the seas. The other issue is the curve of the hull where those cabins are situated means a bit less space.

If the cost is doable, I'd recommend you step up one catagory and guarantee that instead. Also, I'd be sure that your TA has notated that this is your honeymoon on your booking.

Had cabin 7001 on the Zuiderdam, get any more forward than that.

Cabin was great, quiet, dont remember any rocking, had a little more wind on the balcony. The only thing that P.........D me off was they did not open that door in the hallway when we went through the canal. Claimed it was due to safety reasons??:mad:

1268653361_ZuiderdamCruise2011057.jpg.af61cea0ccb09e2d336f1d6b179b5c82.jpg

I note by looking at the deck plan and the catagory descriptions that you might be in for a tight fit.

Some of those HH cabins have a sever loss of space as the hull curves - down to a possible 140 ft2. The inside cabins bottom out at 182 ft2.

What is your cruise date CMYK?

I've had this type of cabin before - Xs Mercury. It can be an adventure - lol. 12 days! you might consider the comfort over the view and use the TVs bow cam as your window.

Amster, 7001 is pretty far forward but some of these HHs are further still, and much closer to the water.

Thanks for your replies. The cruise date is September 7 and it will be going from Rotterdam to do a tour of the Baltic, then back to Rotterdam and then down to the Mediterranean. Do you think the seas will be rough?

I really hope we don't get the forward-most rooms as you are right, they do look small :(

Unfortunately we've pretty much maxed out all our $$ on the cruise already so I don't think we'll be able to afford an upgrade. If there is something really discounted that comes along we might be interested but I know my fiance is already worried about the cost of the cruise.

Hobbsey it will actually be my soon to be husband that has never cruised before, so I am hoping he will be OK ;)

Thanks for your replies. The cruise date is September 7 and it will be going from Rotterdam to do a tour of the Baltic, then back to Rotterdam and then down to the Mediterranean. Do you think the seas will be rough?

I really hope we don't get the forward-most rooms as you are right, they do look small :(

Unfortunately we've pretty much maxed out all our $$ on the cruise already so I don't think we'll be able to afford an upgrade. If there is something really discounted that comes along we might be interested but I know my fiance is already worried about the cost of the cruise.

Hobbsey it will actually be my soon to be husband that has never cruised before, so I am hoping he will be OK ;)

I think the odds are that it will be rough in areas, but that you will not be in an H.

Make sure you come back and tell us what you do get assigned!

Keep watching the prices while you wait for your cruise. If you find a price drop before final payment date, you can re-book at the lower rate, OR possibly move to a different category with the difference in price.

Those "small" H rooms you see that are 140 sq ft or so? That is pretty much the size of a standard oceanview room on other cruise lines, but is small for HAL oceanview rooms. That said, you will manage.

Another thing to watch for is HH rooms becoming available for sale -- they are on the lower promenade deck. They have windows but the view is obstructed by ship structure and stairs and such. IMHO you should have a look NOW at those, and see which ones might work for you (not 3424 or 3433 due to the stairs) but 3420 and 3425 are under the dining room, so they'd be generally pretty quiet re noise from above. Most of the other HHs appear to be under galley/crew use areas, so might be noisy EARLY in the day (think 6 a.m.!!)

Keep watching the prices -- all the cruise lines play around with their pricing. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower. Watch for the "lower" :D (sadly, the cruise I'm working on now but have not booked has just gone UP in price, so I'll probably book and then check the price obsessively for a while :) )

Given that budget is a big concern for you (and budget IS a huge concern for many of us, don't feel you are alone in this), are you aware of the $11/person/day hotel charge that is added to your onboard account to cover gratuities to the crew?

interested but I know my fiance is already worried about the cost of the cruise.

Whoops. LOL,

Also, I missed your mention of the 24 days - not 12. With all due respect, 140 ft2 for 24 days is going be get to feeling cramped. If that is the choice, porthole or inside, I'd go back to the inside. Now, my wife might disagree, but she's not posting I am. And, once again, make sure that the notation is in there about honeymoon. That might help get you some perks on board and might (MIGHT) nudge the upgrade a bit.

It does sound like a wonderful honeymoon no matter the cabin. Congrats on the wedding, the honeymoon and my wishes for a long and happy marriage to follow.

We originally booked an inside, but a few months later HAL released the HHs. (For some reason HAL does not usually release these when the cruise first opens up.) At the time we switched to the HH (obstructed Ocean View) they were $200 less than the inside we booked. Currently the inside cabins are still less than what we paid for the HH. I would like to go back to the inside cabin and save more money, but my DH wants the window, even though it is obstructed. As mentioned, just keep watching prices. You really need to do this daily or at least every few days. Sometimes the prices drops are for new bookings only. You are usually able to cancel your first booking and rebook IF YOU HAVE NOT REACHED FINAL PAYMENT DATE. With guarentees this is easy. It becomes an issue when you have a specific cabin booked. You may or may not be able to rebook the same cabin. Just keep watching those prices.

Thank you, good idea! I'll keep an eye out for HH cabins. It looks like right now they aren't available yet through the Holland America site... will keep my eyes peeled :)

Question... can you upgrade once you are on the ship (assuming there are some empty cabins)? So, if we get on the ship and it really does seemed cramped or loud, is it possible to upgrade once you are already on?

Archived