Help needed from December Cruisers

As you can see from my signature, I usually sail during the summer (with one during the spring). But for this Christmas, my Finance and I have agreed to no presents...Just enjoying one another's presence on a cruise vacation.

I am sailing from New Orleans on board Carnival Conquest. Our ports will be Costa Maya, Belize, and Cozumel. My biggest concern is the weather. How should I pack? Will the water be warm enough to even consider a beach day, or only land excursions?

I have not been on the Conquest before, but I have sailed on the Liberty. Is there anything on board this ship that is a "must-see?"

Also, I have been to Cozumel and Costa Maya but never Belize. What should a person do there? Any suggestions on shopping, land excursions, or water activities (if warm enough)?

As you can tell, many questions. Would appreciate any help. Thanks!!

I don't know, but I'm curious as well. We'll be sailing to Belize for the first time at the beginning of December. We did an Eastern Caribbean in January a few years back and it was very warm. Somewhere I heard that Western tended to be cooler in winter. I've never been there, so I'm not sure if that's true or not.

I don't know, but I'm curious as well. We'll be sailing to Belize for the first time at the beginning of December. We did an Eastern Caribbean in January a few years back and it was very warm. Somewhere I heard that Western tended to be cooler in winter. I've never been there, so I'm not sure if that's true or not.

I hope we can get some helpful answers. Happy cruising!!! :)

Never fear. Firefly will be along soon to tell you everything you need to know. My winter sailings the weather has been quite pleasant, although the water may not be as warm as in summer. EM

Thank you. I am looking forward to Firefly's responses. I am excited to hear about your sailings in December being pleasant.

I've taken several cruises in early december. The one I took out of New Orleans, sail away was chilly. Think, light weight zip up shirt weather. (Although, I am from Iowa...the people from the South on the ship were in full on winter wear). Once we got into the caribbean and to the ports farther south, the weather was great. I don't think we did a beach day necessarily, but I don't remember it being cool. I do think one of the days at sea was a bit windy, but I still remember it being warm. (Then again, from Iowa, remember)

The ones I have taken from the Miami area, were warm at sail away and warm at the ports. Beach days, Pool days, and what not. Keep in mind...it could always be a crazy cold streak, though. I know a lot of Iowa people went down to florida for last years New Year's bowl game expecting sun and warm weather and, I think, for that particular weekend, it was maybe almost as cold, or colder, than Iowa. Weather's crazy.

I've also gone a 3-4 in early January and had warm, wonderful beach weather then too. Came back to Iowa with definite tan evidence of being on vacation.

I am looking foward to the answers also. We are going over Christmas also out of Galveston on the Magic. Going to Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Isla Roatan. I went earlier this year in January and the water was cool but we had a colder winter than normal down here. Me and my son want to go scuba diving and I dont want to freeze

I've taken several cruises in early december. The one I took out of New Orleans, sail away was chilly. Think, light weight zip up shirt weather. (Although, I am from Iowa...the people from the South on the ship were in full on winter wear). Once we got into the caribbean and to the ports farther south, the weather was great. I don't think we did a beach day necessarily, but I don't remember it being cool. I do think one of the days at sea was a bit windy, but I still remember it being warm. (Then again, from Iowa, remember)

The ones I have taken from the Miami area, were warm at sail away and warm at the ports. Beach days, Pool days, and what not. Keep in mind...it could always be a crazy cold streak, though. I know a lot of Iowa people went down to florida for last years New Year's bowl game expecting sun and warm weather and, I think, for that particular weekend, it was maybe almost as cold, or colder, than Iowa. Weather's crazy.

I've also gone a 3-4 in early January and had warm, wonderful beach weather then too. Came back to Iowa with definite tan evidence of being on vacation.

I am from Missouri, so this helps a lot. I will definitely be taking a sweatshirt to wear around the ship and a windbreaker in case there is any rain. I may take something a bit heavier for sail away. But I will take my swim suit with shorts for the ports. Even though I probably won't swim I would like to get some sun :)

I am looking foward to the answers also. We are going over Christmas also out of Galveston on the Magic. Going to Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Isla Roatan. I went earlier this year in January and the water was cool but we had a colder winter than normal down here. Me and my son want to go scuba diving and I dont want to freeze

I hope you have a good sailing. I notice from your signature that you have been on the Conquest. How did you like that ship? I'm excited because I am getting the opportunity to sail on a ship I have never been on.

We have sailed a number of times at Christmas - but we purposely sail from "warm" ports, so we don't lose a day of (hopefully) warm weather getting to our first port. Even so, we have hit a couple of 60 degree days pre-cruise from Florida. As others have said, weather is unpredictable. We have always hit warm (75-80 degree or higher) weather in our ports. Most people do cave-tubing in Belize, and the cave water is always a bit cool, anyway. My family did the airboat/city tour, and it was pleasant. We also snorkeled Sargeants Cay and Governers Cay - both nice. Water was very pleasant temp in Dec. - Coz's water a bit cooler, for whatever reason. Hope this helps a bit!

I've sailed from Galveston in December and Feb!! The weather as we leave was brisk and needed a jacket in December. Our Muster Drill was outside, and many of us bundled in the robes from our cabins, too!!!

But by noon the following day, we were happy happy and in shorts and bathing suits. By our first port... It was like summer with mid 80s...

My one time sailing from NOLA in Feb, the weather was beautiful!!! Tshirts worn on the aft deck, in the breeze and all was sunny and bright!

My guess is that it could go either way! Pack for shorts for the destinations, and maybe the same sweater you'd use for the MDR for leaving and coming home. REMEMBER, there is the robe in the cabin, and it is quite warm!!!

Only one cruise from Galveston in Feb, did I truly FREEZE. But in Texas we were having COLD weather and Snow, anyway!!! And that's unusual for the south!!!

We've sailed many times between Thanksgiving and Christmas and only once was it chilly--in Key West. The western Caribbean ports are wonderfully warm all year round!

As for ideas of things to do in port, wander on over to the Ports of Call boards and do a little research. In Belize, you will definitely want to do an excursion. Last time we were there we took a ziplining and cave tubing excursion thru a private tour company--it was amazing.

Don't worry about the weather and have a great time!

My first cruise was from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas in January 2010. Weather was perfect start to finish! :D Snorkeled comfortably in Nassau.

Then DH and I cruised in December from Tampa to Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel (missed Grand Cayman due to wind). The day we left Tampa, it was 39 degrees that morning. :eek: Took a few days to get far enough south for it to warm up, but the weather was perfect in Cozumel, Roatan, and Belize.

We did a Carnival Lost Canopy tour (ziplining in jungle) while in Belize. It was borderline HOT, and there were plenty of mosquitoes in the jungle.

Enjoy.

This year will be our 3rd year cruising over Christmas, LOVE IT complete opposite weather to what we have here in Michigan :)

Once we left Tampa we lived in shorts, t-shirts and swim suits, very warm and the water was lovely.

Belize we did the ruins/Wallace River tour, I really wanted to visit the ruins and was not disappointed, the river tour was fun, the boat went faster than we were expecting.

Roatan, we did zip lining through Victor Boden tours - we would go back there again just to do this.

Cozumel if you like water toys look at Paradise Beach, inflatables, jet skis for hire. We spent Christmas Eve here last year it was a lot of fun.

Best day for me was Christmas Day, sunbathing on deck while someone else cook Christmas dinner :)

ENJOY!!

We sailed the Glory two years ago in December to Belize and Roatan - the weather was warm, not hot, but then again, we are Floridians so hot to us is not the same as hot to someone who is used to a Northern climate.

We went cave tubing in Belize and zip lining in Roatan. I wrote a pretty comprehensive review of the whole trip and it is still floating around here somewhere! :p

I'll see if I can find a link!

Have a blast - it's a great itinerary!

Here's a link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1113300

We were on the Inspiration three years ago during the second week of December. From what I remember, the pools were cold enough on our two sea days that no one was swimming in them. However, it was warm enough to lay in lounge chairs in bathing suits and we wore shorts (during the day).

Cozumel (Nachi Cocum) had gorgeous weather and it was very comfortable lounging on the beach. The ocean was a little nippy to me, but I really don't like cold water.

We didn't get a chance to test the waters in Grand Cayman because the water was rough enough that most of the stingray excursions had to be cancelled. Thankfully, we were able to tender and find other things to do on the island.

Thank you for all the responses!!! This has helped a lot. If there are any more comments/suggestions, please feel free to share! Also, does Carnival do Christmas-sy backdrops for their photos? If so, I would like to budget a little more to buy a good package to share with our families. (My finance and I got engaged in March on the Paradise and didn't like any of our photos together, so we want to try again.)

Our experiences with December cruises have been that the water is pretty cool, even if the weather is warm. We snorkel with dive skins (not wet suits), but sometimes even they are not enough. Last year in Dec. in Belize we did a snorkel trip and had to wrap ourselves in towels when we came out of the water and still our teeth were chattering. Finally gave up on wrapping our bodies and just wrapped the towels around our heads for the most warmth. One of the coldest times of our lives!

One of the main problems in Dec. seems to be rough seas. We have yet to go on a Dec. cruise that we did not encounter rougher than normal seas. And sometimes this means a port's water excursions will be cancelled. Last year, Cozumel had such rough waves that all water excursions were cancelled. Our first two days of cruising, the water was so rough that many people just stayed in their cabins. Dining room was very empty the first formal night. I never get seasick, and even I was feeling a bit queasy by the end of the second night (we did have a cabin right on the bow). Fortunately, we sailed out of the worst of it by day 3.

But...in early Dec. there are some good deals. So we are doing it again this year! There is still plenty to do in ports, even if water excursions are cancelled. Take a warm jacket and the determination to have a good time regardless, and you will do fine.

Thank you for all the responses!!! This has helped a lot. If there are any more comments/suggestions, please feel free to share! Also, does Carnival do Christmas-sy backdrops for their photos? If so, I would like to budget a little more to buy a good package to share with our families. (My finance and I got engaged in March on the Paradise and didn't like any of our photos together, so we want to try again.)

Yes, they do! One of the most sought after pictures is the one people take on the atrium staircase, which is nicely decorated for the holiday.

Archived