UK vs Europe departures

Baileygirls

I was wondering what the advantages are in leaving from a UK port instead of flying to a European departure port?

I'd really like to hear peoples experiences/opinions.

I am wondering about leaving from a UK port, knowing what our weather is like and how this makes a difference to your cruise. We've been fortunate to have good weather on our past voyages, though so far have only cruised from Europe.

Thanks x

For me I would rather fly to a European departure point. I know flying is a pain in the **** but as soon as you get there, it's warm,and sunny. Leaving from Southampton to the Med you got 2 days at sea,calm I hope. and 2 days back. The only bad bit is the return flight they just dumped us at airport no help or infomation what desk to use or if they were open. So when cruise is over stay another day in the port and make your way to airport.

Shouthampton is nice, go the day before have hotel etc watch your ship sail in 0500hrs. On return your car is at dock carpark. But you have just spent 4 days in the Atlantic go and coming back from holiday.Sorry its your choice to make. :)

Hi, as Avenger says it comes down to personal choice. I've done Southampton, long haul from Miami and short flight from Rome and out of all of them I prefer Southampton. We stayed overnight and watched the ship come in and there was no stress getting to Southampton or the ship, we were lucky because the weather was sunny and that day was as warm as the med, but I like the first 2 sea days as it relaxes me from work and gets me into the holiday chill zone and like that I have 2 sea days to recover from all the ports before disembarking. Also from Southampton you are not restricted on luggage weight like flying so didn't need to have to worry about what I was packing. So for me, ideally Southampton but I would still fly in the itinerary is right.

Like Rascal, we too have done all options and sailing from Southampton wins hands down. My holiday starts 3 hours from leaving home..... bliss, then a couple of sea days to unwind before hitting the ports of call. Looking forward to our Ventura TA leaving from Southampton then flying home

Southampton, without a shadow of doubt:D

Take what you like, no weight restrictions. No waiting in hideous queues for security, baggage and all that business.

Sailed on Crown Princess last month. Taxi dropped me at the terminal, and I was on my balcony with a glass of wine in 15 minutes flat - brilliant! Disembarking was equally slick - off the ship, baggage collected and back at my car in 20 minutes.

I can highly recommend the Hilton park and stay deal. Very, very efficient and such a relaxing start to my holiday.

Not sure I ever want to fly again:rolleyes:

UK departure.

On the ship for lunch(leaving home at 9:30)

home for lunch( unless a backup on the M25)

BCN ex LHR is not too bad

7:25 flight(leave home at 4:00 or overnight), on the ship for lunch

Home by mid afternoon

We like ship time don't, care about heat/sun and don't get sick.

Leisurely drive to port, all luggage taken care off and lunch on board three or so hours after leaving home but best of all (for me) no limiting luggage allowance when sailing from S'ton. Also, on arrival home - again a leisurely drive home.

The first few days at sea are perfect to unwind and relax into ship-board life and get to know dining companions.

So far I guess I've been really lucky with the weather - the worst has been in the Med or up round Greenland, rather than the Bay.

We prefer to fly to the med and elsewhere though it is understandable why people prefer to sail from the UK especially with regards to luggage restrictions on flights, only downside for us is that most cruises ex UK to the Med seem to follow the same pattern and ports!

We've done both, although it takes longer to reach S'ton than to fly to BCN....we take the train down, and stay overnight, or else choose a hotel offering free parking and drive, but the return of around 8 hours is a pain....

Prefer Southampton for reasons mentioned above....we choose a ship with an indoor pool, as an outdoor hasn't been much fun on the first 2 days.

Like Elaine, we're hoping to do both, next cruise- fly out from Manchester; sail back to S'ton.

Jo.

Thanks for the replies! Certainly some positive feedback there!

We're in the north west so travel time is a big factor in choosing our next cruise but we may well be encouraged to consider it.

Have you found prices comparative? I seem to find it more expensive from Southampton than to fly, we usually organise our own flights as that's always cheaper.

Also, can I ask a stupid question? What do you do if the weather is poor for those first/last few days?

Thanks again x

I was wondering what the advantages are in leaving from a UK port instead of flying to a European departure port?

I'd really like to hear peoples experiences/opinions.

I am wondering about leaving from a UK port, knowing what our weather is like and how this makes a difference to your cruise. We've been fortunate to have good weather on our past voyages, though so far have only cruised from Europe.

Thanks x

We also live in Liverpool, we are flying to Venice to board Star Princess on Friday. Home to ship is approx the same time (Charter flights from & back to Manchester)compared to a Southampton start (Bus from Liverpool), no english chanel or bay of biscay to contend with either.

We did Grand Princess out of Southampton last year due to our original cruise being cancelled due to the ash cloud, a lovely cruise but we much prefer to fly out and join the ship.

One further point is that if you are restricted to 2 weeks holiday and want to cruise further afield Southampton is a non starter.

Just booked our first cruise ex-UK. 2 reasons:

(i) Luggage restrictions are getting to be a pain especially if we want to take formal wear in a separate holdall.

(ii) Convenience. Leaving home at 9.00 and on the ship by midday and vice versa.

Also the itinerary was attractive in this instance.

We have done both and could make a case for either. If I were cruising for 2 weeks then UK departure would be first choice, there are some wonderful ports of call between the Channel Islands and Med ports. You are not limited to the paltrey luggage allowance from UK. You do cut across the Bay of Biscay which can be choppy to say the least.

For a week cruise or a November to March cruise then probably a fly cruise. We like the sun so cruising from the UK in winter would not suit us. However there are some great prices on offer if you don't mind the cold weather. There is always plenty to do on the ship during sea days or you can just chill.

Living in Aussie i have cruised out of Southampton twice one Southampton return Southampton the other Southampton to Sanfransisco then fly home to Aussie there are very little cruises that depart Europe and cruise into the UK and visa versa i noted that 90% of cruisers are English when leaving Southampton this shows that Americans with short vacation times prefer flying into Europe rather than England the four sea days seems a waste of there Vacation time and mine my next visit in 2012 to the UK i will cruise Barcelona to Venice then fly to UK just my opinion have a g/day Aussie

If the flight is a hellish prospect (and when isn't it?) you can take an afternoon Eurostar to Paris and the overnight train (Trenhotel) to Barcelona. It really is a pleasant experience, particularly in Gran Classe. From early next year you will also be able to take a daytime direct high speed train direct from Paris to Barcelona in about 6 hours; at the moment you have to change in Figueres, but it is just a walk across the platform.

If the flight is a hellish prospect (and when isn't it?) you can take an afternoon Eurostar to Paris and the overnight train (Trenhotel) to Barcelona. It really is a pleasant experience, particularly in Gran Classe. From early next year you will also be able to take a daytime direct high speed train direct from Paris to Barcelona in about 6 hours; at the moment you have to change in Figueres, but it is just a walk across the platform.

Price?

Cruise from Southampton wins hands down with us. Just love it. Of course we are only and hour and a half away but it is just bliss. Dont mind it being a bit cold for the first couple of days, just shrivel up in the heated jaccuzi's!

We flew to Venice end of May this year and had all the worry about that nasty ash cloud for a few days leading up to when we had to fly out. I know thats unusual, but it ruined the exciting build up that we should have before going on holiday.

We would cruise out of Southampton all the time apart from the fact the itineraries would become boring if that was all we did.

Happy cruising :)

Price?

We did the return trip in Gran Classe last year (July). I think the total cost for 2 was 750 Euros but that included dinner and breakfast (both very good). We used Eurostar 2nd class to and from Paris. We were travelling light so used the metro in Paris. There are considerable savings in First and lower on the trenhotel. It is dearer than air but a damned sight more pleasant!There are also frequent special offers.

We are in Manchester and went our first cruise last year flying from MCR to Rome.

In favour of flying

• Hot weather from Day 1
  • Straight in to the holiday. Interesting that a few quoutes saying the first 2 days in the Bay of Biscay allows them to get used to the holiday, could translate that into 2 days in and out are slightly wasted
  • In our 12 days we went over to Turkey which couldnt do in a 14 nights from Southampton cruise

Against Flying

• My wife wanted to take lots of clothes and it wasnt possible with flying weight limits, suitcases not wife!
  • Flight to Rome wasnt direct, via Paris, so it was hectic from leaving house to arriving in Rome then had coach trip to ship, so our batteries were flat by the time we got on deck.
  • Primarily Brits on board, not that there's anything wrong with that, I am one after all:) but some people like a mix of Johnny foreigners, me included

This year we are on the Grand from Southampton for 2 weeks so eastern med only. Its 4 hour drive for me but less hectic than flying, we can stretch our legs on the way and wife has more dresses than Imelda Marcos.

Im not sure about the 2 days out and then back to southampton but ultimatley they are sea days with lots of chilling to do. Maybe the weather will be cooler for a day or two but we Brits are made of hardy stuff plus it gives us office monkeys sometime to get used to the sun!?

Either way Im sure you will enjoy the trip

For myself I need that first day or two at sea to unwind and rest from my work. I would need it even more if flying as I find even the thought of it so stressful, so whichever way I look at it, the first two days are chill days. If they were port days I probably wouldn't even leave the ship !

I prefer to sail from a port in Europe/Med..not a big fan of sailing from Southampton. When I go on a cruise I want sunshine/heat asap. :D

No matter if we go from Southampton or the Med...we still have to get there using trains and planes...so might as well fly to Europe rather than to Southampton.

I prefer to sail from a port in Europe/Med..not a big fan of sailing from Southampton. When I go on a cruise I want sunshine/heat asap. :D

No matter if we go from Southampton or the Med...we still have to get there using trains and planes...so might as well fly to Europe rather than to Southampton.

I can understand that, thats part of the build up for us is flying to our destination and we don't mind flying at all. As David&Heather said, it would make little difference from Liverpool to ship whichever route taken.

Our next holiday is with the kids (aged 11-13-15) so thought Southampton might be a better idea however as the kids have not cruised with us before, I'd quite like them to have the better weather for their first experince. Guess the deciding factor will be the ports of call.

You are going through the same process we went thru baileygirls, the next bit is to get your head around the idea that your children wont want to get off the ship once they have made new friends so ports of call wont come into it. Before we went last year we had some friends who had been and said they left their children on board while they went on the various tourist trips. I remember thinking that it was outrageous and that I should call social services! but now Ive sailed once I understand.

The ship is the safest place to be, they love it, there is nowhere for them to go and they want to be with their new friends. After day 2 of our cruise we saw my two boys for evening meals and breakfast and then we would bump in to them in a group of friends at which point we were shuffled off.

Thats why were going cruising again this year, out of all the choices we had for hols, they wanted to go on a cruise and as any parent knows...if the kids are happy then you are happy.

Archived