Having a tough time - which would you choose?

eroller

My brother and I are treating our mother to a cruise after her last chemo treatment. Sort of a reward for everything she is going through and hopefully a celebration that she will be cancer free!

Anyway I'm having a tough time deciding between the two options I've narrowed it down to. The three of us will be sharing one cabin, so I want to be as comfortable as possible with hopefully some privacy. Based on pricing, two cruises fit our budget and seem to be the best bang for the buck.

Both choices leave from Ft. Lauderdale and are almost the exact same price.

Which would you pick and perhaps you could explain your reasoning. Hopefully your insight may provide a pro or con I've overlooked. Let me add the ships are actually more important than the ports for me, so that is what I'm concentrating on.

The choices are:

1. CARNIVAL MIRACLE - November - 8 nights - Eastern Caribbean

We would be guaranteed in a suite category, but I don't know which one we would end up in and how private and comfortable they are for three people. Has anyone had experience being in a guarantee suite? Do you know what Carnival usually assigns? I've sailed on other Spirit Class ships and really enjoyed them (they are my favorite class of Carnival ships). The cruise would be one night longer than the second option which is a plus.

2. CROWN PRINCESS - November - 7 nights - Southern Caribbean

We would be in a mini-suite. I've sailed in one before (with two people) and it's a great layout because the bathroom and closet make a nice private changing area. Also the balcony is quite large. One nice thing about Princess is that I'm Platinum so there would be some past passenger perks.

Thanks!

Ernie

Hard choice! Personally, I would go with option #2 since A) You are familiar with the suite set-up and you would be guaranteed to get a lay-out you like, and B) The platinum perks. I know the extra night would be a plus, but a 7-day is still a nice length. Now, I have not sailed either ship, so not sure my opinion is worth much! :)

Best wishes to your mom!!

Have you also looked at NCL? I don't know this first-hand, since I've never had a suite, but from what I've read, their suite perks are better than those of other lines, and the suites themselves are said to be really something.

And don't believe any bad things you might hear about NCL. I cruised with them last November and was completely and pleasantly surprised-- excellent food, excellent service, great staff.

Have you also looked at NCL? I don't know this first-hand, since I've never had a suite, but from what I've read, their suite perks are better than those of other lines, and the suites themselves are said to be really something.

And don't believe any bad things you might hear about NCL. I cruised with them last November and was completely and pleasantly surprised-- excellent food, excellent service, great staff.

Yup. Priced out the PEARL and EPIC. To get a true suite (not a mini suite which on NCL is just a slightly larger cabin) it was substantially more. Also looked into Celebrity (which is my favorite), HAL, and Royal Caribbean. The two options I listed really offer the most bang for the buck.

Ernie

I was thinking about your Mom, it's a great gift, a nice get away, but how much will she feel like doing? The cabin size may not mean much to her, but the time with you will. I would just plan what ever cruise will be more to her wants than cabin layout.

Well I think I would go with Princess. Since the ship is more important the dining room is open for lunch everyday. Since your mom will just be done with chemo it might be a little nicer than the buffet for lunch. Just my thoughts. I love both cruiselines but when taking my mom we tend to go with Princess more.

I am just guessing but I would bet that the Carnival guaranteed suite would be an OS which, while nice, might seem a little small for three adults and certainly won't provide the privacy that the Princess suite seems to provide. I also think the liklihood of a suite upgrade would be remote since the GS's are very limited in quantity and even the VS's are likewise few in number. Also, while the extra day on the Miracle may appear desireable, consider that your mother may not be up to an 8 day itinerary.

Glad your mother is doing well and hopefully she will continue to do so! :)

I don't have an opinion on which ship to take, but I think it's great that you are wanting to do this for your Mom and hope that you have a great time.

I hope though that you have cleared a trip like this with her doctor. Chemo can leave your immune system pretty weak, and for her health the trip may need to be delayed for her to have time to build her system back up.

My brother and I are treating our mother to a cruise after her last chemo treatment. Sort of a reward for everything she is going through and hopefully a celebration that she will be cancer free!

Anyway I'm having a tough time deciding between the two options I've narrowed it down to. The three of us will be sharing one cabin, so I want to be as comfortable as possible with hopefully some privacy. Based on pricing, two cruises fit our budget and seem to be the best bang for the buck.

Both choices leave from Ft. Lauderdale and are almost the exact same price.

Which would you pick and perhaps you could explain your reasoning. Hopefully your insight may provide a pro or con I've overlooked. Let me add the ships are actually more important than the ports for me, so that is what I'm concentrating on.

The choices are:

1. CARNIVAL MIRACLE - November - 8 nights - Eastern Caribbean

We would be guaranteed in a suite category, but I don't know which one we would end up in and how private and comfortable they are for three people. Has anyone had experience being in a guarantee suite? Do you know what Carnival usually assigns? I've sailed on other Spirit Class ships and really enjoyed them (they are my favorite class of Carnival ships). The cruise would be one night longer than the second option which is a plus.

2. CROWN PRINCESS - November - 7 nights - Southern Caribbean

We would be in a mini-suite. I've sailed in one before (with two people) and it's a great layout because the bathroom and closet make a nice private changing area. Also the balcony is quite large. One nice thing about Princess is that I'm Platinum so there would be some past passenger perks.

Thanks!

Ernie

First off - best wishes to your Mom!

For me it would be a no-brainer. Crown Princess. Food is so much better on Princess IMHO and that Southern itinerary is such a nice one. We've sailed on the Crown and I have to say it is one of the prettiest ships I've sailed on and well worth the trip!

Go Princess, you wont regret it.

Honestly, unless you get a seperate bedroom suite I don't really think any suite is going to give you a ton of privacy...one thing I know that helps us when we need some additional privacy is for one or more people to go up the spa and shower and get dressed there...this could be a good option for your brother that way the girls can get showered and changed in the room and the bathroom and he can use the spa...

I think I would talk to your mom and kind of feel her out...is it the same itineray...if not is there one that she would prefer over another?

Also, which ship is easier for her to navigate and offer you more of what you are looking for? I don't think any of the lines have enough suite perks to make them worth chosing one over the other...

You are very kind to do this for you mom and I hope that no matter what you decide you have the trip of a lifetime!

How do the prices compare?? Its hard for me to pick since I strongly also go with how the prices compare.

I have seen the mini suites on Princess and they are quite nice and do have larger balconys than you might wind up with on Carnival. Id like to do either eastern or southern, though you dont say which ports and I dont know Princess's ports.

From the info given, cant make a intelligent choice.

I would go with the Princess mini-suite, except for one thing: the beds on Princess are miserably firm (and yes, I am sailing Princess again...) but the beds on Carnival (and HAL and Cunard) are quite comfortable. If you mother has any weight loss issues, needs a softer bed, I would go with Miracle. EM

I too would probably book the Princess cruise. I love Carnival, and "Miracle", but had a bad experience with the cruise director on "Miracle" the last time we sailed her. Our last Princess cruise wasn't up to "Princess Par" either, (Ruby Princess) but overall, I think I'd opt for the Princess cruise as you already know what kind of a cabin you'll get, and you know it's going to be comfortable for the three of you. I feel that Princess is just a cut above Carnival, so I say "Go For It" on the beautiful Crown Princess. :cool:

"SKY"

I just wanted to add that I was in the middle of my chemo when I went on a cruise in May. It was already booked and my Oconologist said to go ahead with it. I had a great time and I'm sure your mom will also. Some activities may have to be altered but I didn't feel like I missed out on anything!! BTW, I am finished with my chemo and am cancer free and can't wait until my next cruise.

Good luck to you all.

I just wanted to add that I was in the middle of my chemo when I went on a cruise in May. It was already booked and my Oconologist said to go ahead with it. I had a great time and I'm sure your mom will also. Some activities may have to be altered but I didn't feel like I missed out on anything!! BTW, I am finished with my chemo and am cancer free and can't wait until my next cruise.

Good luck to you all.

Calibird, that's GREAT news!! Congratulations and cheers to many years of cruising for you.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it.

While I think overall the CROWN PRINCESS might be the better choice, it's looking more and more like we will go with CARNIVAL MIRACLE. The price for CROWN PRINCESS has already increased by about $300 since yesterday. The original category we wanted is now sold out and we would have to go to a higher category. The way it stands now, we can sail on CARNIVAL MIRACLE in a suite with prepaid gratuities for slightly less than CROWN PRINCESS. I need to set aside $$ as well for drinks, specialty restaurants, shore excursions, etc. so I have to take all that into consideration.

FYI my mom's last chemo treatment is early August so I figure by November she will be completely recovered and ready for good times. She is very full of life and loves to have fun, so I know she would enjoy herself equally on Carnival or Princess (maybe even more on Carnival). She is not one to just sit around and read. She always likes to be doing something so Carnival may actually be a little better in this regard. Both sailings have a nice mix of sea days and ports as well.

Thanks again to everyone for your well wishes and advice. It's appreciated!

Ernie

While I think overall the CROWN PRINCESS might be the better choice, it's looking more and more like we will go with CARNIVAL MIRACLE. The price for CROWN PRINCESS has already increased by about $300 since yesterday. The original category we wanted is now sold out and we would have to go to a higher category. The way it stands now, we can sail on CARNIVAL MIRACLE in a suite with prepaid gratuities for slightly less than CROWN PRINCESS. I need to set aside $$ as well for drinks, specialty restaurants, shore excursions, etc. so I have to take all that into consideration.

FYI my mom's last chemo treatment is early August so I figure by November she will be completely recovered and ready for good times. She is very full of life and loves to have fun, so I know she would enjoy herself equally on Carnival or Princess (maybe even more on Carnival). She is not one to just sit around and read. She always likes to be doing something so Carnival may actually be a little better in this regard. Both sailings have a nice mix of sea days and ports as well.

Ernie

Ernie...

Your mom is very lucky to have such considerate sons !

What November Miracle cruise are you considering ?

Well it looks like it will be CARNIVAL MIRACLE. The price was right and although we are in a suite guarantee, it will be a larger living space regardless of what Carnival assigns us.

I haven't sailed on Carnival in seven years so it should be interesting. During that absence I've sailed HAL, NCL, Disney, Celebrity, Cunard, Royal Caribbean, Windstar, and Silversea so it will be interesting to see how Carnival has evolved. My last Carnival cruise was in 2004 on the CARNIVAL SPIRIT and that was quite enjoyable. As you can see I have stuck with the Spirit Class ships as I think they are the nicest and most spacious in the Carnival fleet (they also have the nicest pool areas IMO). I don't have much desire to sail on the Fantasy Class or Destiny Class (and her newer and larger derivatives). Been there done that with mixed results. I figure sailing in early November on an 8-day cruise should be a fairly low-key crowd (even by Carnival standards) which will probably be better for my mom. Kids are in school so I envision mostly middle-aged to more senior couples.

Anyway looking forward to great times and memories on CARNIVAL MIRACLE!

Thanks again to everyone for their input and suggestions.

Ernie

Well it looks like it will be CARNIVAL MIRACLE. The price was right and although we are in a suite guarantee, it will be a larger living space regardless of what Carnival assigns us.

Personally, I would have suggested the Crown Princess because I think it is a much classier and prettier ship, but I'm sure you will have a great time on either one. At least, with the Miracle, you will have a larger room and one more day on the cruise.

Ernie

There is only one speciality restaurant on the Miracle unless you count the Chef's table experience. The Steakhouse is 30pp and the chef's table is 75.00pp.

As you can see by my signature, we have sailed Miracle 4 times and just love the layout and the ship.

Hope all works out for your mother!

Archived