You Can Now Redeem Visa Points Electronically

Just my luck :( I got my card in November and redeemed my points for a free companion cruise this morning. I would have liked to try it electronically. We use this card only for cruise expenses, as we have other rewards cards for cash back and Marriott hotels, so it will be a long time before I have another chance.

IT + RCI = YIKES:eek:. Not so sure I want to take a chance with 125,000 points.

You can also say the same thing about BofA since they are the ones that you must request your points from and hope that "they" electronically transfer them correctly!:D

Being the computer illiterate that I am, I was under the impression that if "https" precedes an address it is then a secured site.

I hate to bring this up but on my iPad using the terra browser app. I did not see a security lock. has anyone noticed the security lock.

The security lock shows up on my computer "verisign" I believe it says (could have misspelled it though). Jan

This is great.

OK......It says that they send the certificate direct to RCI. I want to cash in 125,000 for a free cruise, but I don't exactly know when I want to use it yet. I'm pretty sure within the next year.....possibly for a spring break cruise or for one leg of a B2B in Europe next summer. I think I'm getting close to my points expiring, so I thought I'd better go ahead and cash them in. Is this something that I would be better off calling for rather than using the electronic way? I think once I get the certificate I have 6 months to book something.....but if they send it direct to RCI....how does that work?

This is great.

OK......It says that they send the certificate direct to RCI. I want to cash in 125' date='000 for a free cruise, but I don't exactly know when I want to use it yet. I'm pretty sure within the next year.....possibly for a spring break cruise or for one leg of a B2B in Europe next summer. I think I'm getting close to my points expiring, so I thought I'd better go ahead and cash them in. Is this something that I would be better off calling for rather than using the electronic way? I think once I get the certificate I have 6 months to book something.....but if they send it direct to RCI....how does that work?[/size']

Jane, I would call either BofA (number on the back of your CC) or the RCI Rewards Department at 1-888-305-4626. If it were me, I would start with the Rewards Department.:D

Thanks Patti! This is great news. Will be trying it out on our upcoming b2b on Oasis in Nov.

You're welcome. I owe you an email.:o

Error:

We apologize; the system is temporarily unavailable. If you require assistance in redeeming your points, please call 800-441-7048. Thank you.

You expected it to work perfectly. :p

Cool:). Now if they only had a way to combine my points and DW's points online. I'm a little skittish about redeeming 75,000 and 50,000 separately and trying to combine after the fact for a free 7-nighter.

I do not believe that you can combine points from two separate accounts when applying for a free cruise.

You can redeem points from separate accounts for OBC and $$$ off for the same cruise though.

Jane, I would call either BofA (number on the back of your CC) or the RCI Rewards Department at 1-888-305-4626. If it were me, I would start with the Rewards Department.:D

Thanks, Patti. Yeah....I think calling would be the best way to go in this case. I love doing things electronically, though!

I had the same problem this morning when I tried to log in. So, I entered my account number eliminating the spaces and typed our last name in all Caps. Got right in.

Currently, I'm getting the following error:

Error:

We apologize; the system is temporarily unavailable. If you require assistance in redeeming your points, please call 800-441-7048. Thank you.

Don't know if it's the same error as mentioned prior or not. But either way, I don't think it's a space issue in the card number.

Either way, they would add this a week after I redeem my point. :P

I'd like to encourage everyone to read the terms (under "details"). Here they are in full from the new site:

Orders for Onboard Amenities and Onboard Credits accompanied by the associated Reward Redemption confirmation number will be accepted up to five (5) business days (not including weekends) prior to the cruise departure date. All general Reward Redemption terms and conditions apply. Below, is a selected list of terms & conditions. For a copy of the complete Program Rules, go to RoyalCaribbean.com/RoyalRewards and click on Royal PointsSM.

1. Reward Redemptions expire one hundred and eighty (180) days from date of transaction.

2. All Rewards, with the exception of Charitable Donations, the Royal Packet and Royal Wear items are redeemable to apply to a reservation for any cruise vacation on Royal Caribbean International ships. Redemption must occur prior to boarding your cruise vacation for which the Redemption is to be applied. The guest or travel agent must call Royal Caribbean International at (888) 305-4626 to make cruise reservations and arrange a Reward Redemption to be applied prior to embarkation day.

According to this, you can redeem points online for OBC up to 5-days prior to the cruise departure. Once you've redeemed the points, you then have 180 days (or 6 months) to use them before they expire. Although it still seems as if you'll need to call RCI and tell them you want the redemption(s) applied to your specific cruise, "The guest or travel agent must call Royal Caribbean International at (888) 305-4626 to make cruise reservations and arrange a Reward Redemption to be applied prior to embarkation day." Am I reading that right?

Archived