Three Star Mariners Get Higher Prices?!

Megsie1000

This was discussed a week or so ago. Below is my post on that thread and my response when someone suggested the 'different state' theory.

We've seen a difference - even varying because of the Mariner number entered. For my next cruise I'm going with a friend, not DH. She is a 1-star Mariner. For whatever reason, the pricing came out $100-150/pp (I'm not remembering the exact amount) lower using her number than my 4-star one. Our TA did work it out so we both got her price.

Same state, across the street. DH, who lives in the same house as I ;) , also had the lower price. He also has fewer stars.

Well, based on my test it's not for 1-stars in CT.

John the OP is from South Dakota so it could very well be 1 Star cruisers in South Dakota. Trust me this selected lower pricing is very much like the method the Up Grade Fairy uses :D I have been experiencing a lot of this lately so I just make sure I check on everyone's booking.

I am four star mariner and I just priced your cruise on the HAL site in "SA" and got $2,199.00.

The 'punish the higher level Mariner' theory doesn't hold.

That is good news, at least. I would hate to think they were penalizing for loyalty.

I wonder if this has any bearing on what we were told with our most recent booking. Before our cruise this past July, we were 2-Stars. We talked with a HAL rep to book our 2012 cruise, and told her we would be 3-Star in a couple of months. She encouraged us to call back as soon as the 3-Star status was posted, and that "we should be able to get a better price". When I called back in August, proud holder of 3 Stars, the rep (a different one) told me rather haughtily that pricing was never based on Mariner status! I have a feeling there's a lower price out there somewhere, I'm just not sure how to get to it!

I'll be following this thread with great interest ~ thanks!

Do you see what I mean? Their price has gone down,too, but HAL is giving me better offers both for my cabin category and theirs. It doesn't matter which cabin category, actually, because we looked at all of them.

Strange, no?

Yes, now I do see what you mean and yes very strange indeed:confused::confused::confused:

Do not know what to say except maybe some sort of glitch???

Call HAL is my only suggestion as this sounds very wierd.

Joanie

We are 3 star mariners. On an upcoming cruise some friends were going to book and were quoted a MUCH lower price for their cabin, and she looked at what our cabin was priced at, which again was MUCH lower than what we had booked. When I put in my mariners number on Hal's site that price did not come up. We had our TA call because she was baffled too. Everyone thought my friend was crazy because none of us could see that price on any site! Ends up, Hal was having a promotion for 2 star mariners that even our TA did not know about, nor did the online site know until my friend insisted that the price she was seeing was indeed different than what we could see. Our TA went to bat for us, we had to link our reservation to our friends to get the 2 star rate, even though we are 3 star. It was more than $400 lower! Apparently they do run specials for 1 and 2 star mariners in an effort to turn them into loyal repeat passengers. They assume I guess that if we are already 3 or 4 star, that we like the product and return on our own?

Very interesting, now I'll have to call my friend who is a one star to get her number, to see what the differences are for the cruises I have booked. Doesn't seem right, if you are loyal to HAL you pay a higher rate. I can understand HAL wanting to get the 1 and 2 stars to book more cruises. Once they get you hooked, no discounts. Wow it makes you think.

We are 3 star mariners. On an upcoming cruise some friends were going to book and were quoted a MUCH lower price for their cabin, and she looked at what our cabin was priced at, which again was MUCH lower than what we had booked. When I put in my mariners number on Hal's site that price did not come up. We had our TA call because she was baffled too. Everyone thought my friend was crazy because none of us could see that price on any site! Ends up, Hal was having a promotion for 2 star mariners that even our TA did not know about, nor did the online site know until my friend insisted that the price she was seeing was indeed different than what we could see. Our TA went to bat for us, we had to link our reservation to our friends to get the 2 star rate, even though we are 3 star. It was more than $400 lower! Apparently they do run specials for 1 and 2 star mariners in an effort to turn them into loyal repeat passengers. They assume I guess that if we are already 3 or 4 star, that we like the product and return on our own?

This is what Laffnvegas (Lisa) described above.

It appears this is exactly the example about which she spoke.

She seemed very clear in her post to know there are all sorts of promotions about which most of us have no idea.

Someone who lives in Illinois, two star Mariner, who books in the next three hours for a cruise exactly three months from now, in certain categories....... :D :eek:

They can set any prices for any promotions they want. :)

OK, so after spending 45 minutes at the TA we are really no closer to resolving this or figuring out what in the heck is going on.

The good news:

All of our cruise fares are reduced as of right now. Our inside cabin is reduced by $380 and our parents is reduced by $500.

The bad news:

We couldn't get anybody to give us the rate that I can see when I sign on with our mariner numbers. They couldn't even get ME that rate. They got our J inside down to within $100 of the price I could see, but they couldn't get my parents' SA suite anywhere near that price. In fact, the price they have right now is exactly $500 more than what I can see when I log into the site. This was despite the fact that I was there with my iPhone IN MY HAND showing my TA the price I could see on my screen with the exact same numbers that the HAL agent was putting in. The TA tried to get them to give us that rate, but they weren't budging. They said they couldn't even see that rate and couldn't figure out where it would come from.

She thought maybe it was either a new booking fare (they said "no" when she asked) or that maybe it was that they were penalizing us for working with a travel agent. So, she called HAL back again on their regular toll free number and pretended she was me to find out whether they would give us the rate on the SA suite for a new booking. Nope. Same fare we saw under my Dad's mariner number.

The HAL agent couldn't even figure out where I was getting the numbers from. For the 1/14/12 Eurodam Eastern Caribbean I have a window open on my computer right this second that quotes me $4,831.20 for an SA suite. That includes two adults, two children. Base fare for the adults is $2,199 and the kids are $49 plus taxes and port fees for a total of $4,831.20.

The lowest fare HAL would give us with any combo of mariner numbers, different agents, etc was base fare of $2,449 for adults, kids still $49 for a total of $5,331.20 after taxes and port fees. So, exactly $500 more.

I am not too worried about our cabin because we got within $100 of the rate I could see. But $500 is a big chunk of change.

The solution the woman on the HAL line gave the TA was "if you can book it for that rate online, do it." Well, OK. Except that screws over our TA. :(

I guess it is up to my parents what they want to do. They bought the cancellation insurance. Does anybody know if they get that back if they cancel at this point? Final payment not due until end of October. I suggested maybe they should cancel and rebook online and just give the TA a gift to thank her for her work. But that doesn't make sense if they don't get the money back for their insurance.

Thanks for your help. :)

I would think maybe this is a glitch and my numbers are just coming out wrong for some reason, but other people in this thread last night were able to get the same rate I can now see. When I go forward to book it, the price stays the same.

They bought the cancellation insurance. Does anybody know if they get that back if they cancel at this point? Final payment not due until end of October. I suggested maybe they should cancel and rebook online and just give the TA a gift to thank her for her work. But that doesn't make sense if they don't get the money back for their insurance.
No, they wouldn't get back the premium paid.

So basically it's not worth it for them to cancel and rebook because I think the price of the cancellation insurance is almost the same as the difference in the fare. And the TA would lose her commission. At least we know there isn't anything we can do to make it better.

It does make me mad that I was able to sit there and get myself a better price on the computer than anybody else sitting around who is paid to help us.

Next time I'm booking with HAL directly. At least that way they will deal with me in person. I hate to do that because the TA's obviously work hard. But it is crazy that HAL won't even work directly with you on something like this.

So basically it's not worth it for them to cancel and rebook because I think the price of the cancellation insurance is almost the same as the difference in the fare. And the TA would lose her commission. At least we know there isn't anything we can do to make it better.

It does make me mad that I was able to sit there and get myself a better price on the computer than anybody else sitting around who is paid to help us.

Next time I'm booking with HAL directly. At least that way they will deal with me in person. I hate to do that because the TA's obviously work hard. But it is crazy that HAL won't even work directly with you on something like this.

Did your TA ask for a supervisor?

As far as booking direct with HAL, I found those prices to be highest. Using online discounters is usually where you will find the best prices. Their websites typically will show the same price as HAL. You need to call or email them to find their best prices. I actually used one of the websites where you register with them the cruise you want and then different agencies contact you via your account on that website and basically compete for your business. I know that is not going to work for you this time, but it could in the future.

If your parents had purchased trip insurance independently, they likely would have been able to transfer it to a new booking. Before I cancelled and rebooked my recent cruise to take advantage of a price drop, I did call the travel insurance company first to make sure it would still cover me. I was told there was no problem. (They did have to check the date I purchased vs. the date of my first deposit to make sure I would qualify for pre-existing conditions.) Some people try to cancel and rebook thinking they can now get pre-existing coverage. The insurance companies will not cover pre-existing conditions on a cancellation/rebook if you did not purchase in the proper time frame the first time around. But I digress. One should always check direct with the insurance company they dealt with. Things change from year to year, and policies are all different.

Good luck!!

Would HAL consider giving your parents a $500 OBC since their agent told you, "If you can book it online, do it." The OBC would save the insurance. Print the screen with the low rate that you get and nobody else can see. Ask your TA to fax it to her HAL rep and propose the OBC as a way of resolving the situation and "keeping loyal HAL cruisers."

With four adults and four children on the cruise, $500 of OBC would come in handy.

Would HAL consider giving your parents a $500 OBC since their agent told you, "If you can book it online, do it." The OBC would save the insurance. Print the screen with the low rate that you get and nobody else can see. Ask your TA to fax it to her HAL rep and propose the OBC as a way of resolving the situation and "keeping loyal HAL cruisers."

With four adults and four children on the cruise, $500 of OBC would come in handy.

Good idea to print out the pricing and fax it to HAL. I also think the OP needs to make sure her TA is speaking with a supervisor. If s/he does not do that, the TA really doesn't know how to work the system. When I did use a local TA she once had to go through two supervisors to resolve a minor issue we had. However, she seemed very familiar with the system at HAL and did not give up until she got want she wanted. Actually she got better than she wanted, which all worked out well in the end.

OP, don't give up!!!!

I have pretty much lost confidence in the TA, but she is the TA my parents have used for years, so you know how that goes. I like her as a person, but she wasn't aggressive enough for me.

Unfortunately my parents booked the HAL insurance, so they are pretty much stuck. I got our travel insurance through an outside company, so I am pretty sure our coverage could be transferred if we canceled and re-booked, but we're not the ones who have such a big price gap.

I will suggest we print out and fax the pricing to them and ask for OBC. That is a great idea.

While I'm at it, I should ask for OBC for us, too, for the $100 difference between what they are quoting us and what I can find myself online.

Thanks for all the advice on the discount web TA's. I will definitely check those out next time I book. Can I choose my own cabin if I do it that way?

I know that you are depending on your TA to get this resolved and it must be very frustrating. On one occasion when I was talking to a rep at HAL, they were able to log on to the HAL website and search for pricing the same way we do. That way they could see exactly what I was looking at online.

You could ask your TA to call them (supervisor) and ask if they could do a website search and see the pricing that to which you are referring.

Good luck with booking.

Archived