Embassy Suites cocktail hour drinks

shofer

We are booked 1 day pre-cruise into the Embassy Suites-Ft Lauderdale on 17th Street and wondered about the "managers complimentary cocktail hour". Do they give you any drink you request or are you limited to specific ones?

Also, are there any restaurants within walking distance?

There are many resturants close by, and a shopping center right next door.

While there is some variety among ES based on local laws, generally during the happy hour most mixed drinks will be poured, as well as a selection of wines, and a small selection of beers.

It definitely varies by property, and many only offer the lower end draft beer and lower end wines. When cocktails are provided, they only pour well brands. Don't expect to be able to order anything top shelf wihtout being charged for it.

I can't remember the last time I even bothered to go to one of those "receptions." Life is too short to drink bad quality alcohol, even if it is free. :D

It definitely varies by property, and many only offer the lower end draft beer and lower end wines. When cocktails are provided, they only pour well brands. Don't expect to be able to order anything top shelf wihtout being charged for it.

I can't remember the last time I even bothered to go to one of those "receptions." Life is too short to drink bad quality alcohol, even if it is free. :D

I tend to agree with you BUT have stayed at the ES several times and the manager's reception always seems to do a booming business.

Thanks for the answers. I am mostly a one-drink gal but my friend was asking out of curiosity.

I was at a ES in Atlanta in July and my cousins had gotten me a whiskey sour and it was ok. Again, I am not much of a drinker but we thought it would be a fun thing to do before we go for dinner. Just a part of the whole cruise "experience"

We booked the Embassy Suites as well for Sept.2012.One of the reasons we booked was free full breakfast as well as the managers reception. My husband and I don't drink my my sister and her boyfriend will like the managers reception.I heard there are some nice resturants near 17th street .I'm looking forward to our precruise stay at the Embassy can't wait!!:)

that ES had almost any basic mixed drink...i had a few gin and tonics...and they were decent...they used call brand liquor, but one bartender had a rather generous hand with the booze:rolleyes::p

i tipped a buck a drink or so....(at one point they may have "run out of" the icky gin...and the Tanqueray bottle showed up...LOL)

it tends to get busy...BUT they move fast....i think they had a red and white wine, maybe 4 or 5 types of beer and they'd make g &t, 7&7, that sort of thing...nothing really fancy...MAYBE bay breezes or something...

they had sangria and rum punch i think and some sort of non-alcoholic juicy sort of thing for the littles....IIRC...(after 4 g & ts and snacks, who can remember..)

snack wise it was popcorn 'fish (as in goldfish crackers) and pretzels....not dinner by any means....but the corn was yummy!

All you can drink! Usually for 2 or 2 and a half hours. Like others have said, basic wine and beer, usually miller light. Well liquor, but always fine. Vodka/gin and tonics, sex on the beach, screwdrivers, margaritas, martinis, whiskey sours, etc etc etc. We have stayed at ES's all over the country and always enjoyed it. Have fun!

We go every year. You can get bottled beer of bud and bud light for sure thats what we drink.

Tequila sunrises, and Sex on the beach drinks and any mixed well drink. Not sure of what draft beer they serve as we only like the bottled beer.

Popcorn and gold fish and chips. It really is a nice time for a couple of hours.

Dawn

Wow! Thanks for all the answers. Makes me want to go now! I'm sure there will be plenty of cruisers there for the pre-stay as we booked this thru Princess.

Looking forward to this now but will really appreciate it come January and the chance to escape Chicago weather. Hope we don't get a weather delay for our flight.

There is an Outback Steakhouse within walking distance. We have not stayed at this Embassy suites yet, but will in February before our cruise. We did stay at another Embassy Suites recently that had the free drinks and snacks. It was very nice. Also their breakfasts were good too.

There's a pub right across the street from the hotel, Waxy O'Connels (sp?). They had really good food and a nice atmosphere. Last cruise, we were only there the afternoon before, so we had lunch at the pub and then just stayed in and ate at the hotel restaurant (not bad, but not fantastic in my opinion). This time around, we're there two days ahead so we'll try more, but I'm sure we'll fit in another trip to the pub. :D

The manager's cocktail party was nice, except for the fact that the bartender couldn't seem to wrap his head around the idea of a vodka and coke (he kept giving me rum - YUCK). Next time, I'll just keep it simple and order screwdrivers.;) The best thing about it was meeting everyone else (almost all of us were cruisers) and swapping itinerary details and tips about the ships. :D

vodka and coke about the ships. :D

That's what my husband drinks. He usually gets an odd look when he orders it or "that's a weird drink - I've never had anyone order one before".

I just told him about you and it put a big smile on his face..

There is an Outback Steakhouse within walking distance. We have not stayed at this Embassy suites yet, but will in February before our cruise. We did stay at another Embassy Suites recently that had the free drinks and snacks. It was very nice. Also their breakfasts were good too.

The Outback Restaurant is just across the street. As you face the hotel it is along the street to the right and sort of just at the back right corner of the hotel on the other side of the street. There is also a Publix behind the hotel just a stone's throw away.

We've stayed at the ES there on 17th quite a few times. If I remember correctly, they made a decent Mai-Ti during the reception.

It's nice also that you can take your drink back to your suite, so I had a cocktail while I was getting ready for dinner.

Also, If you are staying on Saturday or Sunday, you can catch the "Sun Bus" for about a buck there on 17th, and it will drop you at a restuarant on it's route, whichever one you request. We do that all the time. When you come back to the hotel they will drop you right off in the parking lot.

Have a great trip!

We have stayed at the ES about a dozen times pre-cruise..it has become a tradition... Waxy O'Connors across the street for some afternoon drinks and bar goodies...getting our wine and champagne to bring on board at Total or Crown Liquors...then the ES open bar at 5-7... then the Outback...

and breakfast in the AM is great... great location....

we checked out Chucks Steakhouse and was not too impressed with the menu or the prices...

Sounds like the perfect place to stay pre-cruise. Has the great facility and all the local places needed for stocking up on what we might need.

Someone on this board said there was a dollar store across the street where I plan to look for some swim noodles. Being November in Chicago, you can bet there aren't any of those available. I'd rather not take up space in my suitcase for these and we can leave them behind.

We definitely plan to go to the liquor store for our "allotment".

Archived