Coffee card update

more cruises

People figure out ways to work around what was intended with things like a coffee card. I see nothing wrong with the cruise line rethinking their policy. They provide free coffee which many think it just fine. If you want better coffee it's reasonable that you should pay for it. JMO. I don't drink coffee, but all of my friends think the regular coffee it acceptable.

I agree and cant imagine why anyone would consider it an outrage. In today's world there are lots of things going on that could be considered an outrage. Trying to use a coffee card for free brewed coffee over and over again on different ships just doesn't seem like one

Wanna bet this "outrage" has "ruined" the OP's cruise? :p

Wanna bet this "outrage" has "ruined" the OP's cruise? :p
No comment. I guess everyone can consider themselves "warned" although no one has posted (to my knowledge) the specific wording on the coffee card that states it's good for unlimited, free brewed coffee on all future cruises as long as there's one punch left. As Judge Judy says, "If it's something someone told you, it's hearsay; if it's not in writing, it didn't happen."

Last week, after using his older card for the first seven days, they took my husbands card and gave him a new one, with the number of the cruise on it in a marker. There is a line just for that on the new cards. They told him he could continue to use it for the specialty coffees on any ship until used up, but for the free coffee/hot chocolate/tea only until the end of this cruise. They would not serve him unless he gave up his card. He really didn't care, because he's fine with the coffee they serve for free. I just was uncomfortable with them saying they would not serve him if he didn't turn in his card.

We too were on the Golden, and to us, they made it clear we could continue to use up the punches on ANY cruise. I went back and asked the manager, just to be sure, so we didn't feel we had to use them up and it was reiterated that we could still use the punches in the future..just not get the free fresh brewed.

Frankly I think having free brewed coffee for just the cruise the card was purchased on is a fair policy. I think they are handling the changes in a fair way.

Sure I'm disappointed since we enjoyed having the free brewed coffee when not in the mood for a specialty coffee,

But lets face it--too many people have abused this for so long (keeping one card with only a few punches left for the free coffee) that it was bound to happen.

When ever too many people abuse something like this, its sure to create some type of change in policy.

And lets face it, the coffee from the IC is only $1 per cup so its not like its going to cost that much extra during the cost of a cruise.

No comment. I guess everyone can consider themselves "warned" although no one has posted (to my knowledge) the specific wording on the coffee card that states it's good for unlimited, free brewed coffee on all future cruises as long as there's one punch left. As Judge Judy says, "If it's something someone told you, it's hearsay; if it's not in writing, it didn't happen."

That's the bottom line...;)

Frankly I think having free brewed coffee for just the cruise the card was purchased on is a fair policy. I think they are handling the changes in a fair way.

Sure I'm disappointed since we enjoyed having the free brewed coffee when not in the mood for a specialty coffee,

But lets face it--too many people have abused this for so long (keeping one card with only a few punches left for the free coffee) that it was bound to happen.

When ever too many people abuse something like this, its sure to create some type of change in policy.

And lets face it, the coffee from the IC is only $1 per cup so its not like its going to cost that much extra during the cost of a cruise.

The policy was that you could have unlimited brewed coffee as long as there was at least one premium coffee left unpunched. No other limitations were specified. So there was no abuse. Princess just didn't think this out well when they introduced the card. So now they are changing the policy.

The policy was that you could have unlimited brewed coffee as long as there was at least one premium coffee left unpunched. No other limitations were specified. So there was no abuse. Princess just didn't think this out well when they introduced the card. So now they are changing the policy.

Not sure what your cards say but everyone I've had only said "Congratulations on purchasing your Premium Coffee Card. Present this card when receiving your specialty coffee and your server will punch a hole into one of the crowns".

Where do you see any other policy that says unlimited brewed coffee as long as a least one premium coffee left unpunched??? :rolleyes:

how and where do you buy a coffee card?? I know for sure I want two. one for my daughter and one for me, i know they have punches I dont know if the card saves you money. I love yummy fofo coffee.:D

They are available at the International Cafe or the Lobby Bar if the ship doesn't have an IC.

The cost & conditions are in the process of changing so not sure what you would experience. The "current" system has been 15 specialty drinks for about $29 (plus 15% tip) plus brewed coffee both of which had been accepted on future cruises. So it can be a nice savings & if you purchase one onboard there has been a coupon in every cabin for a free insulated Princess mug.

Changes are being tested before fleetwide implementation to a cruise specific card for both specialty drinks & brewed coffee but they'll also have cards with fewer specialty drinks for shorter cruises or for those who don't want so many of them.

We just disembarked the Emerald on 11/08. Don't know how the OP could set sail on 11/05 :confused:.

We were told onboard that when new coffee cards were printed the new program would be implemented. The IC staff were not expecting new cards until after the first of the year.

Guess we need some other cruisers to verify. ;)

Just an added thought - doesn't it seem odd that while you are on a cruise the one thing that might make you log onto cruise critic and post a new thread would be a "warning" about a coffee card. Strange:eek::confused::eek:
"Critic" = A critic is anyone who expresses a value judgment.

Unfortunately, some people think that the word critic means "complaint department." Perhaps they should consult their dictionary.

I don't think the intent was for unlimited brewed coffee for an unlimited number of months, years, etc. regardless of what the initial policy was.

I still think it is an abuse to push the policy as some people have (keeping a card for numerous cruises with only one punch on it to get the unlimited brewed coffee for an unlimited amount of time).

Result= the policy changes we are now discussing.

We just disembarked the Emerald on 11/08. Don't know how the OP could set sail on 11/05 :confused:.

We were told onboard that when new coffee cards were printed the new program would be implemented. The IC staff were not expecting new cards until after the first of the year.

Very good point , highheel girl. It does make one wonder what is happening

As a result of your noticing a contradiction in the OPs post, I am suspicious about it's validity after checking their 22 posts.

The OP said they boarded the Emerald on the 5th so they must be wrong about the date & maybe boarded on the 8th? However on the 8th there was a thread about 3 Princess ships being in port including the Emerald. It seems odd to me that the OP posted about the Caribbean's departure time on the 8th but not about the Emerald's departure time if they were onboard that day?

Maybe it's merely an honest mistake on the date they boarded the Emerald but I'm beginning to get suspicious about the OP's thread. :confused:

Honestly, I am too cheap to pay for coffee, brewed, specialty or otherwise. (Well, maybe not "never ever," but not too often.)

BUT - I too would like to know what were the terms of the old card, "in writing" on the back of the card...

If the card really did offer "Valid Forever as long as punches available" I don't think it is abusive or outrageous or anything else. If that was the term, and I saved my last latte punch so I could have brewed coffee whenever I wanted it - ten years from now - I would expect to receive that. Yes, I would honestly expect to get free coffee for life...or until I lost the card, which would be more likely. And yes, I would be mad if they changed that offer after I bought the card.

So, now the new card is only good on the cruise on which it is purchased? and no brewed coffee, except for a punch? so it's the same cost for regular black coffee as it is for a latte or a capucino or what ever? Guess I'll continue with the syrup stuff. (and wince when I drink it.)

Maddle

Honestly, I am too cheap to pay for coffee, brewed, specialty or otherwise. (Well, maybe not "never ever," but not too often.)

BUT - I too would like to know what were the terms of the old card, "in writing" on the back of the card...

If the card really did offer "Valid Forever as long as punches available" I don't think it is abusive or outrageous or anything else. If that was the term, and I saved my last latte punch so I could have brewed coffee whenever I wanted it - ten years from now - I would expect to receive that. Yes, I would honestly expect to get free coffee for life...or until I lost the card, which would be more likely. And yes, I would be mad if they changed that offer after I bought the card.

So, now the new card is only good on the cruise on which it is purchased? and no brewed coffee, except for a punch? so it's the same cost for regular black coffee as it is for a latte or a capucino or what ever? Guess I'll continue with the syrup stuff. (and wince when I drink it.)

Maddle

The back of the card does not state that the person is entitled to unlimited brewed coffee as long as there is one punch left. This policy is not in writing on the card itself.

If it were in writing, then people would have a point about it being unfair to now change the policy.

All of my cards say the following so I don't understand those who continue to insist on it to mean brewed coffee for as long as there is 1 punch remaining...pretty clear isn't it??? :rolleyes:

"Congratulations on purchasing your Premium Coffee Card. Present this card when receiving your specialty coffee and your server will punch a hole into one of the crowns".

All of my cards say the following so I don't understand those who continue to insist on it to mean brewed coffee for as long as there is 1 punch remaining...pretty clear isn't it??? :rolleyes:

"Congratulations on purchasing your Premium Coffee Card. Present this card when receiving your specialty coffee and your server will punch a hole into one of the crowns".

Actually, the wording does not say you can have unlimited regular fresh brewed coffee on the cruise you purchased the card. Or even regular fresh brewed coffee at all, with or without a punch.

Judge Judy would say it is only for specialty coffees and only with a punch.

So, if you wonder why everyone thought it could be used for fresh brewed coffee without a punch, it is because Princess said so when it sold the cards.

Archived