Coffee card update

more cruises

OK, so they will take my card with 3 punches on it and give me a card with the ships name, sailing date, and 3 punches left on it. Sounds reasonable, but will I be able to get unlimited brewed coffee during this sailing? I will admit to enjoying the brewed coffee more than the specialty coffees.

Thanks!

OK, so they will take my card with 3 punches on it and give me a card with the ships name, sailing date, and 3 punches left on it. Sounds reasonable, but will I be able to get unlimited brewed coffee during this sailing? I will admit to enjoying the brewed coffee more than the specialty coffees.

Thanks!

Yes, you will get unlimited brewed coffee. We are fine with the regular coffee and just use the card for the specialty coffees. Don't forget they have great cold blended coffees. We loved these.

Reading this thread reminds me of both the Telephone game, and the six blind people examining an elephant. Lots of conjecture with very little information.

My guess (and I am as blind as the next one) is that for a while it may differ from ship to ship and from barista to barista! Kind of like reservations in Anytime Dining or permitted clothing on formal night! That is, unless Princes gives its employees specific detailed instructions and we can guess at the likelihood of that happening.

It's clear that the days of unlimited brewed coffee carrying over from cruise to cruise are over. Anything else is IMHO "we'll see when we get there".

Does anyone know if Sabatini's breakfast has brewed coffee and speciality coffees available? Are those available only with the coffee card (in Sabatini's)? And am I understanding that the only way to get Hot Chocolate/Hot Tea is with purchasing a coffee card? We are on an Alaska cruise - I will be needing hot beverages. I have been on Princess before and took my own coffee maker - they were all Caribbean cruises and I only have coffee in the mornings. Recently on Carnival and RCCL and while the coffee is horrid on both - they did offer free hot chocolate and hot tea at their 24 hour cafe's.

You lucky person !!

You can get whatever speciality coffees you like free of charge with no coffee card needed. Also, complimentary Mimosas ( or Bloody Marys if you prefer ) as well. Enjoy your brekkies, they're wonderful

Reading this thread reminds me of both the Telephone game, and the six blind people examining an elephant. Lots of conjecture with very little information.

My guess (and I am as blind as the next one) is that for a while it may differ from ship to ship and from barista to barista! Kind of like reservations in Anytime Dining or permitted clothing on formal night! That is, unless Princes gives its employees specific detailed instructions and we can guess at the likelihood of that happening.

It's clear that the days of unlimited brewed coffee carrying over from cruise to cruise are over. Anything else is IMHO "we'll see when we get there".

I had to laugh. You are soo right! But it is nice to have at least an idea of what might occur.

My wife and I are on the 10 day 11/5 sailing of the Emerald. Since 11/5 we have gotten free brewed coffee at the I/C with our prior coffee cards. However, today we were informed that al old cards would be punched one time for any free coffee or tea. Truly an outrage and a failure to live up to the original premise of selling the card.

My wife and I are on the 10 day 11/5 sailing of the Emerald. Since 11/5 we have gotten free brewed coffee at the I/C with our prior coffee cards. However, today we were informed that al old cards would be punched one time for any free coffee or tea. Truly an outrage and a failure to live up to the original premise of selling the card.

Thanks for posting about your current experiences as Princess continues to test changes in the coffee card program. It's been a hot topic lately & good to hear about what's being done.

Here's a link to a recent lengthy discussion about the changes being tested & the possible changes that will be implemented soon:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1513049

My wife and I are on the 10 day 11/5 sailing of the Emerald. Since 11/5 we have gotten free brewed coffee at the I/C with our prior coffee cards. However, today we were informed that al old cards would be punched one time for any free coffee or tea. Truly an outrage (really?? an outrage??) and a failure to live up to the original premise of selling the card.

Did you honestly think you could buy one coffee card and use it for the rest of your life? I'm sure that is not how Princess intended it. It's always the abusers that ruin it for everyone. :rolleyes:

Did you honestly think you could buy one coffee card and use it for the rest of your life? I'm sure that is not how Princess intended it. It's always the abusers that ruin it for everyone. :rolleyes:

There is no free rides in the world. I just can't figure how some people feel they are deservered unlimited coffee for life. If people can't afford a coffee card, then they can not afford to cruise.

Says it all. The coffee card is a great deal.

Last week, after using his older card for the first seven days, they took my husbands card and gave him a new one, with the number of the cruise on it in a marker. There is a line just for that on the new cards. They told him he could continue to use it for the specialty coffees on any ship until used up, but for the free coffee/hot chocolate/tea only until the end of this cruise. They would not serve him unless he gave up his card. He really didn't care, because he's fine with the coffee they serve for free. I just was uncomfortable with them saying they would not serve him if he didn't turn in his card.

We too were on the Golden, and to us, they made it clear we could continue to use up the punches on ANY cruise. I went back and asked the manager, just to be sure, so we didn't feel we had to use them up and it was reiterated that we could still use the punches in the future..just not get the free fresh brewed.

It really is funny----how many years has everyone said to be sure not to punch that last hole---and it WAS a FOREVER card----Of course this is no different from the soda cards--fortunate for me I can afford a card all for myself. Neither card was to be used by the friends and family for the rest of your life.

Nancy:D:D:D

That's possible, provided they double the cruise fare. Don't forget, the cost cuts are made to keep the fares down. My first cruise in 1997 cost me about 40% more than any comperable cruise I take these days.

The cost of coffee would double the cruise faRE!!! Didn't know the price of coffee had gone up that much. oh my gosh I guess we all will have to start drinking just water.

Did you really expect to get a lifetime of free coffee with one card???? I think it is reasonable that they are giving you something for your old card at all.

there is no free rides in the world. I just can't figure how some people feel they are deservered unlimited coffee for life. If people can't afford a coffee card, then they can not afford to cruise.

i find your last comment rude

I have a couple coffee cards in inventory, which I will be using on

Emerald shortly. They were all bought with the bogo coupon last

year. So, punches cost less than the price of brewed coffee.

Princess could have simply abandoned the old cards, and started a

new program.

And, after spending thousands on a cruise, why sweat the price

of brewed coffee for the cruise? If I want to upset myself, and

be in a bad mood for the rest of the day, I don't need to go on

a cruise and worry about the price of brewed coffee -- I can

just commute to work, and be cut off a few dozen times.

Princess could have simply abandoned the old cards, and started a new program.

If you haven't read the thread from the link I posted earlier, they are in the process of testing modifications to the coffee card program before implementing it fleetwide.

While nothing is official, posts from recent cruisers on several ships seems to indicate these changes. Old cards with punches still remaining will be exchanged for new cards with the same number of punches & brewed coffee and punches will only be usable on the current cruise. Since even punches are being considered to be cruise specific, I'm probably only going to exchange old cards one at a time. They apparently are considering cards with less punches for shorter cruises because they may not be usable on another cruise.

Nothing in writing yet but just a summary based on some of the input from those on recent cruises. There were no changes on the Crown in October but many posts say it's being tested on some ships.

I don't drink coffee so I don't really care how this plays out......

I do find it strange that Princess gave these BOGO coupons out and for most people it was impossible to use one card on a 7 night cruise, let alone 2 cards which sort of make sense that it could be used on multiple cruises (with 7 night cruises making up at least half of Princess cruises if not more).

To add insult to injury, not too long ago, fresh brewed coffee was an attraction to the Patissere and it was free. I find it tacky (nickel and aimed) to charge for fresh brewed coffee. Even sader, speciality coffee was free in the dining room once upon a time and is free on HAL in their dining room.

So while I think it is tacky that people think having one punch left on the card entitles them for free brewed coffee for life, I find it tacky that Princess is charging for this and making it an issue.

Sometimes I wish cruising was how it was when I started cruising 13 or so years ago. Food was better, service was better and I did not complain about the cost of the cruise as it as a fair price for what I received.

Sometimes I wish cruising was how it was when I started cruising 13 or so years ago. Food was better, service was better

Me too! :)

However based on the value of the dollar, I now get more for what I'm paying. When I look at how much I paid for our 1st cruise in 1986 it's shocking how much I paid for some of those long gone things.

Prices are much more affordable now & the tradeoff has been some reduced services & more fees for those who use certain things. At the same time, there are also many things that have been added that were never there for our earlier cruises. So for me, it is what it is & something I will continue to enjoy with Princess who currently provides me with the best experience for the price paid. I give them constructive criticism for things I think can be improved & sometimes things improve but I'm just one passenger so realize that I won't always get what I desire.

Well you can always try NCL. I hear they have coffee pots in balcony staterooms and above.

Since your comments were posted after my last post, if they are directed at me, I don't have any problems with either the included coffee nor purchasing a coffee card for brewed coffee during a cruise. :)

So I'll continue to cruise with Princess...NCL is NOT for me! ;)

I agree and cant imagine why anyone would consider it an outrage. In today's world there are lots of things going on that could be considered an outrage. Trying to use a coffee card for free brewed coffee over and over again on different ships just doesn't seem like one

Archived