Coffee card update

more cruises

Sorry if this has already been posted. I can't search from my phone.

I was at the International Cafe on the Ruby today. One barista was telling another about the new coffee cards so I eavesdropped. Changes begin next Sunday 11/13/11 (on the Ruby anyway) Old cards will continue to be honored but if all you want is brewed coffee it will cost you a punch. If you buy a new ship spefic card then the brewed coffee is still free.

Sorry if this has already been posted. I can't search from my phone.

I was at the International Cafe on the Ruby today. One barista was telling another about the new coffee cards so I eavesdropped. Changes begin next Sunday 11/13/11 (on the Ruby anyway) Old cards will continue to be honored but if all you want is brewed coffee it will cost you a punch. If you buy a new ship spefic card then the brewed coffee is still free.

Fair enough. Is the new card ship and cruise specific?

Thanks for the update...works for me! Other posts indicate that the new cruise specific coffee cards won't be only 15 punches but more reasonable 5, 10 or 15 specialty drinks plus unlimited brewed coffee during the cruise so more options. Until the policy is implemented, nothing is definite & maybe they're still working on changes & would allow remaining punches to carryover to another cruise but not for brewed coffee which I think would be a fair way to do it.

Seems fair enough to me. We have two of the older cards that have probably 7-8 punches total, so we'll use the remaining punches for the brewed and then probably (definitely!!) get a ship-specific card.

Appreciate the update? We have two partial cards from last cruise. Glad to hear they will be accepting the old cards. I'm not surprised to see this change. Still a convenient way to get your coffee and very reasonable.:)

We are in the process of planning our first Princess cruise and I am a little confused about the coffee card. Are you able to get brewed coffee without the card? Could someone please explain the use, how and where, the card would be used for?

Princess marked these original cards as being good from ship to ship, cruise to cruise and free unlimited brewed coffee as long as one punch remained on the card. They are not living up to that part of the contract.

They have every right to stop selling the old cards, and start with ship/cruise specific cards, but they must live up to their promises for those of us who have the old cards and continue to provide unlimited free brewed coffee as long as the old card has at least one punch remaining.

As an alternative, they could refund, on a pro rata basis, the remaining punches on the card as an OBC to the passenger with such card.

After someone at Princess called me back when I asked about the coffee card I went to post what I'd found out but the thread had gone so I thought it was already answered.

Here's what I found out.

Old cards with unused punches will be honoured for special coffees - you want a latte with a 3 year old card? it's yours in exchange for a punch.

Want the brewed coffee with an old card then you won't get it. Buy a new card for that cruise and you get the brewed coffee.

As for getting brewed coffee for as long as a card has an unused punch as noted by Salty Dawg sounds like you are expecting to get free coffee into 22nd centuary. Is it really a case of breaking a contract and not just realizing that some people will use them for ever (and ever and ever) and want to correct that. True there are some people who won't be able to take a cruise before the requirement for new cards to be bought for brewed coffee but they can be used for the original intention - speciality coffee.

After someone at Princess called me back when I asked about the coffee card I went to post what I'd found out but the thread had gone so I thought it was already answered.

Here's what I found out.

Old cards with unused punches will be honoured for special coffees - you want a latte with a 3 year old card? it's yours in exchange for a punch.

Want the brewed coffee with an old card then you won't get it. Buy a new card for that cruise and you get the brewed coffee.

As for getting brewed coffee for as long as a card has an unused punch as noted by Salty Dawg sounds like you are expecting to get free coffee into 22nd centuary. Is it really a case of breaking a contract and not just realizing that some people will use them for ever (and ever and ever) and want to correct that. True there are some people who won't be able to take a cruise before the requirement for new cards to be bought for brewed coffee but they can be used for the original intention - speciality coffee.

well said

We are in the process of planning our first Princess cruise and I am a little confused about the coffee card. Are you able to get brewed coffee without the card? Could someone please explain the use, how and where, the card would be used for?

All around the ship coffee is available which is made from concentrated coffee. For those who desire a brewed cup of coffee, then either paying by the cup or buying a specialty coffee card which has included unlimited brewed coffee at the International Cafe or the Lobby Bar were the options. Like so many preferrences, the happiness with the coffee from concentrate is subjective with everyone having their own opinions. ;)

Princess marked these original cards as being good from ship to ship, cruise to cruise and free unlimited brewed coffee as long as one punch remained on the card. They are not living up to that part of the contract.

What card & contract are you reading??? :rolleyes:

My cards say "Congratulations on purchasing your Premium Coffee Card. Present this card when receiving your specialty coffee and your server will punch a hole into one of the crowns".

No mention of free brewed coffee & word of mouth isn't truly a contract so I don't understand your point of view? :confused:

They have every right to stop selling the old cards, and start with ship/cruise specific cards, but they must live up to their promises for those of us who have the old cards and continue to provide unlimited free brewed coffee as long as the old card has at least one punch remaining.

As an alternative, they could refund, on a pro rata basis, the remaining punches on the card as an OBC to the passenger with such card.

I think the proposed changes are fair for passengers & Princess and since there's no contract they aren't obligated to provide lifetime unlimited brewed coffee for those who have turned the system into something never intended by Princess...and certainly nothing written in any sort of contract! :eek:

I was about to go on a search for my old card. This will save me the trouble. I'll just buy a new card. With all the brewed joe I got I'm not going to be concerned about an extra punch or two especially since I'll have so many punches to use on the new card.

All they really have to do is to take the old card and replace it with a new one with the same number of punches. That way they could honor the free coffee for the rest of the cruise and get rid of the old cards. I think that would make everybody at least a majority of the people happy for the cruise. I think it is wrong to start taking punches away for the "free" coffee. Take the card, get a new one, make comprable punches on it and then it would only be good for that current cruise. Simple solution.

Do you mean that INSTANT coffee is what is served unless you pay extra???:confused:

it is reconstituted coffee, made from a syrup or sorts. Some people like it, others hate it. For me it has a bit of an after taste. You can purchased fresh brewed from coffee bar if that is your preferance or give the coffee a try, you may be one of the ones that really like it.

Thanks for the update...works for me! Other posts indicate that the new cruise specific coffee cards won't be only 15 punches but more reasonable 5, 10 or 15 specialty drinks plus unlimited brewed coffee during the cruise so more options. Until the policy is implemented, nothing is definite & maybe they're still working on changes & would allow remaining punches to carryover to another cruise but not for brewed coffee which I think would be a fair way to do it.

I hope that the new cards have smaller denominations. I don't want or need 15 speciality coffees on a 7 day cruise. I would purchase a 5 punch card for a 7 day cruise.

All they really have to do is to take the old card and replace it with a new one with the same number of punches. That way they could honor the free coffee for the rest of the cruise and get rid of the old cards. I think that would make everybody at least a majority of the people happy for the cruise. I think it is wrong to start taking punches away for the "free" coffee. Take the card, get a new one, make comprable punches on it and then it would only be good for that current cruise. Simple solution.
With that line of reasoning, I should take one of my old soda card stickered cruise cards and ask to have a new sticker placed on my new cruise card. There's no expiration date on the sticker.

Are you serious?!! This is exactly why this program has changed.

Archived