MUSTER DRILL LIFE JACKETS - Coming Back?

So how long do we think it will take before we are back wearing life jackets at muster? It doesn't really bother me, I always felt putting them on was a signal my cruise was really beginning. I do feel we will be back in them now sooner rather than later. Be interesting to see what cruisers in the near future report back on this issue.

Prayers and wishes for healing to all those affected by the Concordia tragedy. I don't mean this to trivialize their situation - just occurred to me that ALL cruisers will see repercussions from this event.

One incident will not change the rules.

This is a little more than an "incident," IMO.

Having said that, I don't think that having the lifejackets with us at the drill made us any more prepared to deal with an evacuation than not having them does. So I don't see any practical value to requiring people to take them, other than forcing them to find out where the cabin attendant has stowed them.

One report I saw on either CNN or the LA Times said that one passenger reported that, having gone through muster, they knew where to go. It was the passengers who hadn't yet had their drill who had no clue what to do.

So I think that the lines will at least ensure that every passenger attends the drill before sailing, whether they all embark together or there are multiple embarkation ports. There's no reason to have all passengers attend every drill, just the people who didn't go before their first day of sailing.

I don't see how what you are wearing has one thing to do with the muster drill...JMHO.

I feel sorry for those who can't figure out how to click a buckle to put on your life jacket. I can applaude the cruise line who finally saw that trying to negotiate the stairs while wearing one is dangerous at the least. I once got a carpet burn on my knee because I stumbled and fell down the stairs making my way to my muster station. Back in the day, there was always a crewman telling me to "Put the jacket on Miss" I no longer listen to that instruction after I fell and don't intend on doing so now.

I hope it does not impact the new no jacket policy. I would much rather carry my life jacket to the muster station than be forced to show up wearing it. After all, in most scenerios you'd be given a jacket out of the muster station lockers. And if my ship were going down I'd do the same thing. Showing up in time and then putting it on there is my plan.

On Princess we were all required to put on a life jacket and form in very tight lines. We were there for a pretty long time and a few people fainted, it was kind of claustrophobic and I wasn't particularly comfortable being that close to people... I don't recall ever being that uncomfortable during the drills on Royal. But then again I was also in a wedding dress and so not very comfortable in the first place... >_>

It's like the folks on a plane that have to be told how to buckle their seat belt!

I see no advantage in wearing life jackets at muster drill. This is more about the actions of that Captain IMHO than having a life jacket on at muster drill!

So how long do we think it will take before we are back wearing life jackets at muster? It doesn't really bother me, I always felt putting them on was a signal my cruise was really beginning. I do feel we will be back in them now sooner rather than later. Be interesting to see what cruisers in the near future report back on this issue.

Prayers and wishes for healing to all those affected by the Concordia tragedy. I don't mean this to trivialize their situation - just occurred to me that ALL cruisers will see repercussions from this event.

Forgive the pun, but I think that ship has sailed. I think trying to require it on ships that up until now have not, would be a colossal failure. What are they going to do when people show up to muster without them? Are they really going to hold up thousands of guests while some go back to their cabins and retrieve them?

No, they demonstrate how to use them. They have them in the cabin. If someone is so inclined, they can try it out on their own.

Forgive the pun, but I think that ship has sailed. I think trying to require it on ships that up until now have not, would be a colossal failure. What are they going to do when people show up to muster without them? Are they really going to hold up thousands of guests while some go back to their cabins and retrieve them?

No, they demonstrate how to use them. They have them in the cabin. If someone is so inclined, they can try it out on their own.

Lifejackets are not in the cabins on Oasis class ships so that won't work for everyone.

Being a large chested woman, I always had a problem walking down the steps wearing a life vest. I saw other people stumble as well. I sure hope they don't do that again.

We were told not to put them on until we get to the drill area. It was kind of comical though watching people try to put them on... especially with how to place the straps. I somehow doubt if that was a real situation people would be calmly putting their life vests on and caring about strap placement... nor would the all line up in single file lines at their designated area.

I agree. If someone doesnt know how to put on their life jacket they have no business being a ship in the first place...

You know, you could say that about a lot of things in life. It's a mass-market cruiseline that has to gear their instructions to mass market intelligence.

I somehow doubt if that was a real situation people would be calmly putting their life vests on and caring about strap placement... nor would the all line up in single file lines at their designated area.

Just look at debarkation: it's chaotic, at best. Add in a sinking ship and I really don't think there is a way to totally avoid panic in a crowd.

On Princess we were all required to put on a life jacket and form in very tight lines. We were there for a pretty long time and a few people fainted, it was kind of claustrophobic and I wasn't particularly comfortable being that close to people... I don't recall ever being that uncomfortable during the drills on Royal. But then again I was also in a wedding dress and so not very comfortable in the first place... >_>

All musterdrills we have been attending, either by the lifeboats or in other places, have been looong. The reason why they are so long is that some passengers are late, and aparantly can care less about the thousands os passengers they inconvenience.

Is all passengers were there on time, it would be over 5 minutes after the emergency signal sounds.

All musterdrills we have been attending, either by the lifeboats or in other places, have been looong. The reason why they are so long is that some passengers are late, and aparantly can care less about the thousands os passengers they inconvenience.

Is all passengers were there on time, it would be over 5 minutes after the emergency signal sounds.

Oh I sooooo agree with you! Every muster drill we have done (outside in the hot hot heat) we have always got there so quickly so not to hold anyone up and EVERYTIME we are waiting, waiting, waiting, for those who think they can get away with not attending! Grrrrr.

Don't get me wrong. I agree - they are simple to put on etc etc etc. I don't see any more safety value in wearing them than in NOT wearing them. I'm fine either way. But sometimes perception of safety is more valuable than presumption of safety and it wouldn't "surprise" me to see it come back. Some may feel safer simply by seeing them in operation - especially first timers.

And don't forget - lowest common denominator. There are plenty out there who probably can't tie their shoes, much less buckle a life jacket. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if the Costa Concordia event is going to bring back the life jackets during the RCI drills, nor should it. Passengers previously would spend the time joking around about their jackets, taking pictures, telling jokes. It was also dangerous to walk to and from the drill wearing them.

Something I've read from a number of different sources: Many of those that lost their lives on Concordia were found wearing their life jackets.

This comment has nothing to do with safety...but

I LOVE LOVE LOVE not wearing them..It was such a chore to haul them back to the cabins....Now everyone scatters in different directions and controls the crowds after the drill....I used to get very claustophobic!!!!

I agree with other posts...panic can not be controlled by one drill.

• 4 weeks later...

It is important that passangers demand the ships require lifejackets at drills. Removing them was a mistake, and flaunts disregard for safety. RCC and Holland America have stopped using lifejackets, to the great disappointment of many passangers. Safety should be a NUMBER ONE priority. What is your opinion ??

Before I start this epistle let me tell you that I am they guy that reads all the safety briefing cards and placards every time I sit in an airplane or enter a hotel room or a cabin on a cruise ship. I am a bit anal on safety after spending 40+ years as a Paramedic. SO......

Part of me wants the life jackets back, as they are one of the prime reasons for the drill. BUT, and this is a big BUT, the number of injuries caused by fellow cruisers dragging the straps and other "less-than-responsible" actions as they create the mob scene back to their cabins with their vests is a liability nightmare for the cruise operator (whomever it is).

Are we being put in harms way without the vests? I think not. Even though the presiding authorities are trying to protect ours, and everyone's lives, it is still each individuals personal responsibility to assure the safety of themselves and all around them.

Quit blaming the cruise line, airline, bus line, car maker and take some personal responsibility. Take a moment and read the cards and placards. If you don't understand them ASK QUESTIONS. If there are life vests in your cabin, take a minute and try it on, adjust the straps, play with it, get a little comfortable with the fact that you might, remote as it may be, have to put it on, take pictures so you can show all your friends how fun it can be to look foolish. And then put it away. Don't forget, you don't have to go to your cabin in an emergency for a vest, there are plenty to go around at the boat stations.

I am very sorry if I have bored you, or sounded like a Preacher from his pulpit, at least I didn't pass a collection plate, but I really get disturbed when folks blame others rather than take some personal responsibility.

Archived